Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blow-Up worst commentary ever!

Blow-Up worst commentary ever!

Eric R.

mercutio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...

> Classic artistic BS. Oldest scam in the intelligentsia playbook. Create
> something obscure and ill defined. Then be mysterious and evasive when
> discussing it. The gullible chattering class is scared to death to not
> "get it" and will thusly declare your work profound. Works every time.

Hey, quite a few French new wave directors created whole careers with
that approach.

I just love it when a film student waxes on about how brilliant Godard
was for setting "Alphaville" in contemporary Paris when it was
supposed to be set in the future. It never even occurs to them that
maybe the REAL reason he did this is because it was a lot cheaper to
film. How they look beyond the goddawful script, acting, and direction
of that film requires a level of delusion that I will never
understand. It probably has something to do with pseudo-intellectual
peer pressure.

-Eric

Eric R.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Metlhd313 wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >"School Of
> >Rock"... nothing like listening to 8-year-olds talking about how
> >"professional"
> >they thought everything went - all at the same time, like a classroom of
> >'challenged' kids.

> Hye, i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have good
> taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors, ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)

They only did that because someone taught them to say it. You think
those kids would listen to any of that, left to their own devices?

-Eric

Metlhd3138

>> >"School Of
>> >Rock"... nothing like listening to 8-year-olds talking about how
>> >"professional"
>> >they thought everything went - all at the same time, like a classroom of
>> >'challenged' kids.

>> Hye, i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have

>good
>> taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors,

>ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)
>
>They only did that because someone taught them to say it. You think
>those kids would listen to any of that, left to their own devices?
>
>-Eric

Are you saying todays kids have no taste in music? A lot of kids are listening
to classic rock nowadays due to the fact that most of todays popular music
sucks (and i have to agree!)

Eric R.

(E-Mail Removed) (Metlhd313 wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Are you saying todays kids have no taste in music?

No, I'm saying they have DIFFERENT taste in music. And even when they
listen to the old ****, it's probably for different reasons.

> A lot of kids are listening
> to classic rock nowadays due to the fact that most of todays popular music
> sucks (and i have to agree!)

Yeah, I used to say the same thing about the **** my parents listened
to. Now a new generation is saying it about the **** I used to listen
to. That's just the way life goes. It's like Sick Boy's unifying
theory in Trainspotting (available as an Special Edition DVD next
week): At some point you've got it, then you lose it, then you die.

-Eric

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Eric R.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> mercutio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...
>
> > Classic artistic BS. Oldest scam in the intelligentsia playbook. Create
> > something obscure and ill defined. Then be mysterious and evasive when
> > discussing it. The gullible chattering class is scared to death to not
> > "get it" and will thusly declare your work profound. Works every time.

> Hey, quite a few French new wave directors created whole careers with
> that approach.
>
> I just love it when a film student waxes on about how brilliant Godard
> was for setting "Alphaville" in contemporary Paris when it was
> supposed to be set in the future. It never even occurs to them that
> maybe the REAL reason he did this is because it was a lot cheaper to
> film. How they look beyond the goddawful script, acting, and direction
> of that film requires a level of delusion that I will never
> understand. It probably has something to do with pseudo-intellectual
> peer pressure.

I like the example of the anime "Lain": are all those static shots of
power lines a commentary on modern society, our dependence on
electricity and the global world of the internet, or just a way to not
have to animate 10% of each episode?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Metlhd3138
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Hye, i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have

> >good
> >> taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors,

> >ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)
> >
> >They only did that because someone taught them to say it. You think
> >those kids would listen to any of that, left to their own devices?
> >
> >-Eric

> Are you saying todays kids have no taste in music? A lot of kids are listening
> to classic rock nowadays due to the fact that most of todays popular music
> sucks (and i have to agree!)

Still, it's going to take awhile to get into it. 8 year olds aren't
going to be really familiar with all those groups.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Wade365

<< How they look beyond the goddawful script, acting, and direction
> of that film requires a level of delusion that I will never
> understand. It probably has something to do with pseudo-intellectual
> peer pressure. >><BR><BR>

It's just insane, but then that's just "art". No one wants to appear stupid or
lacking in taste.

Langly@webtv.net

<<<Worst Commentary?
That's GOTTA be anything Chevy Chase comments on...>>>

Amen to that. I recently listend to the commentary for "National
Lampoons Vacation" (ironically,his funniest film IMO) and he came across
as the UN-funniest of all the particiants involved. When he wasn't
saying something totally idiotic that had nothing to do with the film
whatsoever,he constantly interrupted those who DID have something to
say,with his adlibbing schtick.

Jordan Lund

"Seminal Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<H73rc.833$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> Damn, this was annoying! The guy is supposedly an Antonioni scholar but he
> actually says something like, "There have been many interpretations but I'm
> not going to attempt to explain this film." He doesn't even go into any of
> the many interpretations. He basically spends the whole commentary saying
> this means something but I won't or can't say what.

Sounds like the kind of commentary track that the "Blood Simple" track
was making fun of...

p.s. If you haven't heard it... Blood Simple has one of the funniest
commentary tracks I've ever heard. Odd since the movie is so straight
and serious.

- Jordan

Spookshow

I just listened to the Blood Simple commentary last night. Jeez, what a
find. When debating whether or not to pick up the DVD I always figured the
commentary was going to be yet another dull critical analysis. What a riot,
though. Right up there with This is Spinal Tap. Are there any others out
there like this one (fake, satirical commentaries)? And who played Kenneth
Loring? It kind of sounded like the guy from Best in Show.

Movie magic!

-Mark