Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Disney Treasures: Poor Quality Control.

Disney Treasures: Poor Quality Control.

One-Shot Scot

Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!

It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
"Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.

My latest problems with the Walt Disney Treasures involved
_Tomorrowland_ and _On The Front Lines_:

Tomorrowland #1: Dented tin, fingerprints and scratches on disk #1,
broken lock-tab on the top front part of the box.

Tomorrowland #2: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1 and creased
and scuffed "Treasures" booklet.

By combining the best parts of two Tomorrowland sets, I was able to
create an acceptable set. The scratches on the better disk #1 are
concentrated close enough to the outer edge of the disk that they are
probably out of the data area.

On The Front Lines #1: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1, as
well as a hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of the disk which
was beneath it in the stack. Scratches on disk #2 and broken
lock-tabs on the top front and back parts of the box. This package
had no redeemable parts, so I exchanged it for a new package.

On The Front Lines #2: A hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of
the disk which was beneath it in the stack. I reluctantly kept this
set.

With non-existent quality control at Disney, I purchase Disney
double-disk sets only from local retailers who will allow me to combine
the undamaged parts of two or more sets.

Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
from the sets that I kept:

Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000

On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000

I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
out of the same initial shipment.

Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
appreciate their shoddy product?

1-800-723-4763 (US)

1-888-877-2843 (Canada)

Impmon

On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:28:35 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!

That doesn't mean it was scratched, dented, or broken at Disney. It
is often the dault of the store for careless shipping and handling
from their warehouse to local stores.

Metal case tended to dent easily even from a little 2" drop. I prefer
my DVD to be in cardboard case than tin case for this reason. Also
metal scratches more easily than plastic or cardboard so metal case is
a bad idea (this one you can blame Disney)
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Michael Rogers

I got Chronological Donald from BJ's who sells a lot of there DVD's in a
oversize cardboard box for anti-theft purposes(the boxes come from the
studio).

As a result, the metel case on mine is quite perfect.

Mike

One-Shot Scot wrote:

> Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!
>
> It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
> packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
> that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
> "Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
> broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
> more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.
>
> My latest problems with the Walt Disney Treasures involved
> _Tomorrowland_ and _On The Front Lines_:
>
> Tomorrowland #1: Dented tin, fingerprints and scratches on disk #1,
> broken lock-tab on the top front part of the box.
>
> Tomorrowland #2: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1 and creased
> and scuffed "Treasures" booklet.
>
> By combining the best parts of two Tomorrowland sets, I was able to
> create an acceptable set. The scratches on the better disk #1 are
> concentrated close enough to the outer edge of the disk that they are
> probably out of the data area.
>
> On The Front Lines #1: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1, as
> well as a hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of the disk which
> was beneath it in the stack. Scratches on disk #2 and broken
> lock-tabs on the top front and back parts of the box. This package
> had no redeemable parts, so I exchanged it for a new package.
>
> On The Front Lines #2: A hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of
> the disk which was beneath it in the stack. I reluctantly kept this
> set.
>
> With non-existent quality control at Disney, I purchase Disney
> double-disk sets only from local retailers who will allow me to combine
> the undamaged parts of two or more sets.
>
> Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
> from the sets that I kept:
>
> Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000
>
> On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000
>
> I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
> out of the same initial shipment.
>
> Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
> double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
> appreciate their shoddy product?
>
> 1-800-723-4763 (US)
>
> 1-888-877-2843 (Canada)

Dave Garrett

> Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!
>
> It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
> packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
> that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
> "Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
> broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
> more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.

[...]

> Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
> from the sets that I kept:
>
> Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000
>
> On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000
>
> I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
> out of the same initial shipment.
>
> Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
> double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
> appreciate their shoddy product?
>
> 1-800-723-4763 (US)
>
> 1-888-877-2843 (Canada)

I've purchased all of the Disney Treasures sets as soon as each one
became available. It does seem that packaging QC was lacking a bit more
in this wave of releases than previous ones - my copy of MICKEY MOUSE IN
LIVING COLOR, VOLUME TWO was missing the certificate of authenticity,
whereas THE CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD, VOLUME ONE had two certificates (in
sequential order, not the same number, so someone else is going to be
****ed off that their copy is missing its certificate). I suppose I'll
call Buena Vista and see if I can trade the extra one for the missing
one, but I'm not too optimistic about that happening. To add insult to
injury, they stuck those friggin' adhesive anti-theft strips right on
the cardboard band encircling the tins on three of the four tins I got.
After tearing the band trying to get one of them off, I gave up and left
the others on until I can figure out a better way.

Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
particularly ON THE FRONT LINES. But when you're marketing a limited-
edition, premium product specifically to collectors and charging a
premium price for it, buyers shouldn't have to tolerate these kinds of
lapses.

Dave

One-Shot Scot

"Dave Garrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<<Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
particularly ON THE FRONT LINES.

Yes, this set is the highlight of the latest Treasures. _Victory Through
Air Power_ is the highlight of this one. I have never seen World War II
strategy so thoroughly and accurately explained. The box calls this a
"propaganda film", but I don't see where those advocating air supremacy
were giving out any incorrect information.

<<But when you're marketing a limited-edition, premium product
specifically to collectors and charging a premium price for it, buyers
shouldn't have to tolerate these kinds of lapses. Dave>>

The tins are just one more obstacle to use of the disks as well as
their storage. Besides, Disney finally bundled up the last round of
Treasures and sold them without the tins. If you want a tin, buy a
fruitcake.

Judging from the total pressings noted on the "Certificate of
Authenticity" inserts, _On The Front Lines_ is expected to be a best
seller, with 250,000 copies being produced. Apparently, Disney doesn't
think that _Tomorrowland_, with 105,000 copies, will be of such great
interest. Actually, I find both of them to be equally interesting.

One-Shot Scot

"Impmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:28:35 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!

<<That doesn't mean it was scratched, dented, or broken at Disney. It
is often the fault of the store for careless shipping and handling from
their warehouse to local stores.>>

True. The Disney representative who talked to me on the phone quickly
pointed this out.

My question is, "Who needs these tins, anyway?"

One-Shot Scot

"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got Chronological Donald from BJ's who sells a lot of there DVD's in
> a oversize cardboard box for anti-theft purposes(the boxes come from
> the studio).
>
> As a result, the metel case on mine is quite perfect.
>
> Mike

Costco sells its DVDs in the same packaging. In my case, the oversize
cardboard box concealed the dents on the edge of one of the tins.

A truly anal collector would keep this outer cardboard packaging as
well. After all, on the front is says "Walt Disney Treasures" and on the
back you have the picture of Walt Disney walking through the door of
Sleeping Beauty's castle, with a full-color Tinkerbelle generating
sparks from her magic wand.

So, now you can put the DVDs back into the case, put the case back into
the tin and then put the tin back into the "Limited Series collector's
Edition" cardboard box.

Or, you could do as I did and throw the cardboard box in the trash bin.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, One-Shot Scot
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Dave Garrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <<Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
> I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
> particularly ON THE FRONT LINES.
>
> Yes, this set is the highlight of the latest Treasures. _Victory Through
> Air Power_ is the highlight of this one. I have never seen World War II
> strategy so thoroughly and accurately explained. The box calls this a
> "propaganda film", but I don't see where those advocating air supremacy
> were giving out any incorrect information.

Propaganda isn't by definition wrong. However, given how the war turned
out we can see where some of the book and film's conclusions were
incorrect. For example, in the Pacific island hopping to capture
islands near Japan to use as airbases turned out to be much easier then
the author thought. Bombers can't defend themselves well regardless of
how many guns they have, and need fighter escorts.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Fri, 21 May 2004 03:52:40 -0400, Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, One-Shot Scot
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Dave Garrett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> <<Yes, I know the content is far more important than the packaging, and
>> I'm delighted to finally have some of the most-anticipated sets,
>> particularly ON THE FRONT LINES.
>>
>> Yes, this set is the highlight of the latest Treasures. _Victory Through
>> Air Power_ is the highlight of this one. I have never seen World War II
>> strategy so thoroughly and accurately explained. The box calls this a
>> "propaganda film", but I don't see where those advocating air supremacy
>> were giving out any incorrect information.
>>

>Propaganda isn't by definition wrong. However, given how the war turned
>out we can see where some of the book and film's conclusions were
>incorrect. For example, in the Pacific island hopping to capture
>islands near Japan to use as airbases turned out to be much easier then
>the author thought. Bombers can't defend themselves well regardless of
>how many guns they have, and need fighter escorts.

That's right. Propaganda is simply media that is presented from a
specific viewpoint designed to influence the audience into having
certain beliefs or take certain actions. The material presented may
indeed be correct, but unlike a truly balanced documentary, for
instance, opposing viewpoints aren't expressed.

I found the part concerning the attack on Japan to be the most
fascinating part of "Victory". It presents a possible scenario of
gradually destroying Japan's defenses until the allies are eventually
able to safely invade by dropping in hordes of militia, unlike the
actual events of instant submission by two atomic bombs. History
could have been quite different.

. Steve .

Richard C.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: >Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented tins -- oh my!
:
: <<That doesn't mean it was scratched, dented, or broken at Disney. It
: is often the fault of the store for careless shipping and handling
from
: their warehouse to local stores.>>
:
: True. The Disney representative who talked to me on the phone quickly
: pointed this out.
:
: My question is, "Who needs these tins, anyway?"
:
I LOVE the tins. Of course, I am a collector.
I loved the "Basic Instinct" package and the "Total Recall" Tin too.
: