Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > THX optimizer test, 5.1 -> 2.0 downconversion

THX optimizer test, 5.1 -> 2.0 downconversion

nospam@nospam.com

I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
from the DVD player.

The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

Biz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a8c088$0$31680$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
> from the DVD player.
>
> The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
> speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
> the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
> right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
> shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
> hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

If I read your post correctly, wouldn't that suggest a problem with that
player then? ANd if that is the case, you would need to provide make &
model for any suggestions.

Italo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a8c088$0$31680$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
> from the DVD player.
>
> The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
> speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
> the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
> right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
> shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
> hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

Don't you think it's a contradiction in terms to be running a 5.1 speaker
test but only having the DVD player output stereo?

Does your TV have 5.1 speakers either inbuilt or external?

The 5.1 audio tests on a THX disc are specifically designed for a
DVD/AMP/5.1 surround speaker package, not to be used for any other
configuration.

--
Italo

LASERandDVDfan

>The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
>speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
>the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
>right and center. Rear two are silent.

If you are able, set the audio options on your DVD player itself within its
configuration menu. For downmix option, select "Dolby Surround." This sets
your DVD player to perform the 5.1 downmix into 2.0 to allow use with Pro-Logic
equipment. This means that the rear channels will become audible in regular
stereo and can also be matrix-decoded for the rear speakers when processed with
Pro-Logic equipment. - Reinhart

David Sauer

On Mon, 17 May 2004 23:39:26 +1000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
>from the DVD player.
>
>The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
>speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
>the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
>right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
>shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
>hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

You would think that the rears should still be active when it's
downmixed to 2.0 audio. Sounds like the DVD player setup.

Obviously it's properly converting the centre channel OK.

nospam@nospam.com

The player is a Pioneer DV-266.

I listened again and I can just faintly hear the surrounds extremely
quietly with the TV volume very high.

I've tried all the options I can see and there's no solution. There
doesn't actually seem to be any analogue audio options at all, it
doesn't have an inbuilt decoder or anything, just L/R outputs.
Quite strange, in my opinion. This means someone with a Prologic system
couldn't get surround. I wonder how many other supposedly reputable
players can't even downmix properly?

Biz

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40aaa9cc$0$31680$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> The player is a Pioneer DV-266.
>
> I listened again and I can just faintly hear the surrounds extremely
> quietly with the TV volume very high.
>
> I've tried all the options I can see and there's no solution. There
> doesn't actually seem to be any analogue audio options at all, it
> doesn't have an inbuilt decoder or anything, just L/R outputs.
> Quite strange, in my opinion. This means someone with a Prologic system
> couldn't get surround.

No thats not what it means. If you had a full Pro-logic setup, you would
choose the DD2.0 track where available, and DPL is matrixed from 2 channels
anyway...

I wonder how many other supposedly reputable
> players can't even downmix properly?

nospam@nospam.com

From the DVD consortium website:

"I do not own a Dolby Digital Surround AC-3 receiver. Can I still
enjoy my Home Theater audio system with DVD?

Yes, every DVD player currently on the market has analog (Left and
Right) audio outputs that you can connect to your Dolby Surround Sound,
or Pro-Logic receiver. The analog audio outputs of your DVD player
passes through specially encoded Dolby Surround Sound signals."

Therefore Pioneer is failing to comply with the dvd standards if it is
not downmixing the sound properly...

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have plugged a DVD player into a stereo TV using the L/R RCA outputs
> from the DVD player.
>
> The star wars dvds come with THX optimizer... and one of the tests is a
> speaker test where each speaker lights up on screen and you hear it from
> the correct one if you have a 5.1 system. However I can only hear left
> right and center. Rear two are silent. I know I'm only using stereo but
> shouldn't all 5 channels be mixed into two? Shouldn't I still be able to
> hear them all? On my other DVD player, I can in fact hear all 5.

Italo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ab4648$0$31678$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> Therefore Pioneer is failing to comply with the dvd standards if it is
> not downmixing the sound properly...

You answered your own question in the header of your email. The DVD players
downconverts the 5.1 track present on the DVD to 2.0 'stereo' output. If the
amp/receiver has Prologic mode it should then be able to recreate a prologic
surround field from the 'stereo' input of your DVD player.

--
Italo

nospam@nospam.com

I have tested it again on another TV and it works properly now.

HTML, CSS and JavaScript Optimizer Stefan Mueller HTML 3 11-05-2005 11:17 PM
Anamorphic downconversion, digital video essentials, my recent foray into videophile land, frustration and heartbreak cg DVD Video 18 09-21-2004 12:30 AM
JPEG/GIF optimizer? Frogleg HTML 1 06-01-2004 11:20 AM
internet optimizer Target Computer Support 6 06-28-2003 08:00 PM

Advertisments