Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Return of DIVX

Return of DIVX

TCS

Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and then
goes to the landfill.

Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be renewed.
When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable after the 48
hour period.

Brian The Demolition Man Little

That's it TCS I'm sick and tired of this crap!
Now someone hit my music....
> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.
>
> Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and
> then goes to the landfill.
>
> Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be
> renewed. When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable
> after the 48 hour period.

Actually this has been known about for a bit of time. Its called
EZ-DVD, and its the brain child of Disney. So far in test markets
its been a complete failure, so we got nothing to worry about.

--
Demolition Man

luminos

"Brian The Demolition Man Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's it TCS I'm sick and tired of this crap!
> Now someone hit my music....
> > Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.
> >
> > Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and
> > then goes to the landfill.
> >
> > Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be
> > renewed. When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable
> > after the 48 hour period.

> Actually this has been known about for a bit of time. Its called
> EZ-DVD, and its the brain child of Disney. So far in test markets
> its been a complete failure, so we got nothing to worry about.
>
> --
> Demolition Man

Disney is an abomination of a company. They want to charge for the air you
breathe, as it is Disney Air. It took them years to abandon the graduated
price per ride at their theme parks, where E tickets were highly desirable.
Then, other parks went to the one-price scheme (which is very
American...many countries pay by distance and time for phone calls). With
great reluctance, Disney went to the one-price idea. The same corporate
mentality pervades the "Disney DVD" culture. They think the Disney name on
something makes it different than all others....and we should be willing to
pay by view for everything attached to their logo.

The entire concept mentioned above is doomed for failure.

TCS

On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:01:39 -0500, Brian The Demolition Man Little <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>That's it TCS I'm sick and tired of this crap!
>Now someone hit my music....
>> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.
>>
>> Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and
>> then goes to the landfill.
>>
>> Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be
>> renewed. When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable
>> after the 48 hour period.

>Actually this has been known about for a bit of time. Its called
>EZ-DVD, and its the brain child of Disney. So far in test markets
>its been a complete failure, so we got nothing to worry about.

I figured it would see the same fate of DIVX.

Impmon

On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:12:12 -0500, TCS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be renewed.
>When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable after the 48
>hour period.

Unlike DIVX, it can be ripped and burned to DVD-R for a more permanet
copy. Still... my local Ma-and-Pa rental shop are cheap on DVD rental
compared to those EZ-D.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Stan Brown

"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
alt.video.dvd:
>Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.
>
>Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and then
>goes to the landfill.

April 1st again already?

http://OakRoadSystems.com

unclejr

TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD NEWS.

-Junior

TCS

On 14 May 2004 18:52:59 -0700, unclejr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

>Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD NEWS.

I don't live at 7-11.

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (unclejr) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

> Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD
> NEWS.

We're at "now" now.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

Me Again

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and then
>goes to the landfill.

Wow, now that sounds eco-friendly. Thank you 7-11.