Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > PRINTING DVD COVERS

Reply
Thread Tools

PRINTING DVD COVERS

 
 
sam1967@hetnet.nl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
I need some help.

what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??

where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Oldus Fartus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I need some help.
>
> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>


You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one out
of a cover and measuring it?

> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
>


Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.



--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sam1967@hetnet.nl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I need some help.
>>
>> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>>

>
>You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one out
>of a cover and measuring it?
>

yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
i am assuming it has a standard name.
should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??


>> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
>>

>
>Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.


what should i ask for ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joshua Zyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need some help.
>
> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>
> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?


If you have a photo-quality printer, I've found that semi-gloss photo
paper works nicely.

As you've noticed, a DVD cover is just slightly too long to fit on an
8.5x11" piece of paper. Personally, what works for me is to divide the
cover into two pieces, front and back, and print them on separate pieces
of paper. When you do the crop, both halves should include the full
spine. Then when you have both halves printed, slide them into the
keepcase with the duplicated spines overlapping one another. When you
close the case, the fold will hold the covers together, and it is very
difficult to tell they were ever separated unless you look for it. I
suppose you could also glue/tape the two halves together if you felt
like it.

There are other printing suggestions/instructions at www.dvdcoverart.com




 
Reply With Quote
 
sam1967@hetnet.nl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:54:45 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I need some help.
>>
>> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>>
>> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?

>
>If you have a photo-quality printer, I've found that semi-gloss photo
>paper works nicely.
>
>As you've noticed, a DVD cover is just slightly too long to fit on an
>8.5x11" piece of paper. Personally, what works for me is to divide the
>cover into two pieces, front and back, and print them on separate pieces
>of paper. When you do the crop, both halves should include the full
>spine. Then when you have both halves printed, slide them into the
>keepcase with the duplicated spines overlapping one another. When you
>close the case, the fold will hold the covers together, and it is very
>difficult to tell they were ever separated unless you look for it. I
>suppose you could also glue/tape the two halves together if you felt
>like it.
>
>There are other printing suggestions/instructions at www.dvdcoverart.com
>

thanks joshua.
out of interest where do you buy your paper and how much do you pay ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Oldus Fartus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I need some help.
>>>
>>> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>>>

>>
>> You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one
>> out of a cover and measuring it?
>>

> yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
> it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
> i am assuming it has a standard name.
> should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??
>


No, it isn't a standard size so you either have to do as Joshua suggested,
or else print it on A4 and cut to size.

>
>>> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
>>>

>>
>> Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

>
> what should i ask for ?


Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a wedding
photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the glossy one), but
for my own use I normally just use the premium inkjet paper.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dyuob Poltice
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:23:19 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I need some help.
>
>what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>
>where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
>
>


We have a business doing video scrapbooks, and doing the covers was
looking to be a hassle. What we settled on was using 67lb(bristol
cover) white cover stock, 11x17 tabloid size, and using a Carl Bidex
15 inch paper trimmer to, first, resize the paper to fit our printer,
and then to cut it down to final size. We also use SureThing to design
the covers, using Photoshop Elements v. 2, Paint shop Pro, as well as
a host of other various and sundry programs.
Hope that helps.
 
Reply With Quote
 
sam1967@hetnet.nl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:12:04 +0800, "Oldus Fartus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>>> I need some help.
>>>>
>>>> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>>>>
>>>
>>> You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one
>>> out of a cover and measuring it?
>>>

>> yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
>> it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
>> i am assuming it has a standard name.
>> should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??
>>

>
>No, it isn't a standard size so you either have to do as Joshua suggested,
>or else print it on A4 and cut to size.
>
>>
>>>> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

>>
>> what should i ask for ?

>
>Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a wedding
>photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the glossy one), but
>for my own use I normally just use the premium inkjet paper.


can i ask you which brand and how much you usually pay ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
sam1967@hetnet.nl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:12:04 +0800, "Oldus Fartus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>>> I need some help.
>>>>
>>>> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
>>>>
>>>
>>> You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one
>>> out of a cover and measuring it?
>>>

>> yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
>> it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
>> i am assuming it has a standard name.
>> should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??
>>

>
>No, it isn't a standard size so you either have to do as Joshua suggested,
>or else print it on A4 and cut to size.
>
>>
>>>> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

>>
>> what should i ask for ?

>
>Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a wedding
>photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the glossy one), but
>for my own use I normally just use the premium inkjet paper.


can you tell me how many gsm that is ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Oldus Fartus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a
>> wedding photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the
>> glossy one), but for my own use I normally just use the premium
>> inkjet paper.

>
> can you tell me how many gsm that is ?


If using glossy, depending on whether I buy a brand name or generic it
varies between 150 and 170gsm, and the semi gloss is either 95gsm or 100gsm.
The bright white I use is 90gsm.

The prices I pay are pretty meaningless to you in the UK as I am in
Australia. The best savings are buying in minimum orders of 500 sheets.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
printing cd covers directly from a website mike Computer Support 4 06-13-2006 02:12 AM
Print Perfect DVD Covers with DVD Cover Gold Ian DVD Video 0 05-29-2004 10:16 PM
DVD Covers --==::::==-- Computer Support 5 01-22-2004 09:32 PM
DVD Covers oric DVD Video 2 09-08-2003 03:55 AM
hi res dvd covers lyricsman DVD Video 1 09-04-2003 06:00 PM



Advertisments