Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Recorder-DV input & Hard Drive ?

DVD Recorder-DV input & Hard Drive ?

Marion

I am looking for a DVD recorder to use with my DV camcorder. I am trying to
make this a general purpose purchase. I would like to purchase a DVD
Recorder that has a DV input and a hard drive.

I have looked at a lot of different stores and I can't find a recorder with
both a hard drive and a DV input. All of the recorders with a hard drive
have a S-VHS input and not DV input. How much resolution would I sacrifice
by purchasing the recorder with the S-VHS input instead of the recorder with
the DV input?

Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come with
S-VHS inputs?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Oldus Fartus

Marion wrote:
> I am looking for a DVD recorder to use with my DV camcorder. I am
> trying to make this a general purpose purchase. I would like to
> purchase a DVD Recorder that has a DV input and a hard drive.
>
> I have looked at a lot of different stores and I can't find a
> recorder with both a hard drive and a DV input. All of the recorders
> with a hard drive have a S-VHS input and not DV input. How much
> resolution would I sacrifice by purchasing the recorder with the
> S-VHS input instead of the recorder with the DV input?
>
> Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come
> with S-VHS inputs?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.

There are a few on the market. A couple which come to mind include the
Sharp dv-hr300u and the Panasonic DMR-E100H.

If you have a look at www.videohelp.com and do a search through their
recorder listings you should find many others.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

GrayhawkJW

>I am looking for a DVD recorder to use with my DV camcorder. I am trying to
>make this a general purpose purchase. I would like to purchase a DVD
>Recorder that has a DV input and a hard drive.
>
>I have looked at a lot of different stores and I can't find a recorder with
>both a hard drive and a DV input. All of the recorders with a hard drive
>have a S-VHS input and not DV input. How much resolution would I sacrifice
>by purchasing the recorder with the S-VHS input instead of the recorder with
>the DV input?
>
>Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come with
>S-VHS inputs?
>
>Thanks in advance for your reply.

I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV input/output is a
firewire link. Great machine and the price has come down $200 since it was
introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with it.

Now, if I could just get some feedback to the question I asked about which/
where to buy bulk DVDr's...
Jim

john33907@comcast.net

On 15 May 2004 16:17:54 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GrayhawkJW) wrote:

>>I am looking for a DVD recorder to use with my DV camcorder. I am trying to
>>make this a general purpose purchase. I would like to purchase a DVD
>>Recorder that has a DV input and a hard drive.
>>
>>I have looked at a lot of different stores and I can't find a recorder with
>>both a hard drive and a DV input. All of the recorders with a hard drive
>>have a S-VHS input and not DV input. How much resolution would I sacrifice
>>by purchasing the recorder with the S-VHS input instead of the recorder with
>>the DV input?
>>
>>Also, is there a reason that the recorders with hard drives only come with
>>S-VHS inputs?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your reply.
>>

>I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV input/output is a
>firewire link. Great machine and the price has come down $200 since it was
>introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with it.
>
>Now, if I could just get some feedback to the question I asked about which/
>where to buy bulk DVDr's...
>Jim

www.rima.com

Shinner

(E-Mail Removed) (GrayhawkJW) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV
> input/output is a firewire link. Great machine and the price has come
> down $200 since it was introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with
> it.

I got one recently too....real nice. Only problem I'm having though is that
even if I set up chapters, for some reason they're not being carried over
to the burned disc. Need to RTM to see if I have a setting wrong.

GrayhawkJW

>>Now, if I could just get some feedback to the question I asked about which/
>>where to buy bulk DVDr's...
>>Jim

> www.rima.com

Thanks for this site- it looks good. I'm still not sure which discs to buy. I
saw in another thread that taiyo yuden were the only truly reliable cdr's- they
are quite a bit more expensive as dvdr's- but is this the best way to go?

Jim

GrayhawkJW

>> I just got a Pioneer DVR 510h which has all you seek- the DV
>> input/output is a firewire link. Great machine and the price has come
>> down $200 since it was introduced- I got it for $699. Very happy with
>> it.

>I got one recently too....real nice. Only problem I'm having though is that
>even if I set up chapters, for some reason they're not being carried over
>to the burned disc. Need to RTM to see if I have a setting wrong.

Can't help here as I still have not burned any discs- I have set up chapters on
the HDD- only way to edit out unwanted bits that I can see- and they work fine.
Don't know how they are supposed to transfer when burned to disc, but I
believe you can insert chapter marks manually. RTM is always a good thing, of
course.

BTW, my original post was wrong about the price- I got it for $599, not 699.

Jim

Shinner

(E-Mail Removed) (GrayhawkJW) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can't help here as I still have not burned any discs- I have set up
> chapters on the HDD- only way to edit out unwanted bits that I can
> see- and they work fine.

same here...works fine from the HDD.

> Don't know how they are supposed to transfer when burned to disc, but
> I believe you can insert chapter marks manually.

I usually go into the title that's recorded and do the edit chapters bit,
which creates a bunch of thumbnails on the screen indicating chapters (even
the numbering indicates that). Then you go to the screen for copying to a
DVD and you add the title, it gets copied to the disc, then you finalize
(where you pick a menu) and the damn thing ends up not having chapters. I
must have a setting wrong.

> BTW, my original post was wrong about the price- I got it for $599,
> not 699.

Got mine for $517 net ($617-$100 rebate)