Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > missing actors??

missing actors??

Chris Paul

I saw the L.A. Law reunion movie DVD in store the other day and noticed
something strange on the packaging.

While there are pictures on the front and back, the description has NO
mention of Harry Hamlin as Michael Kuzak. It reads something like "a former
member of the firm returns..."

Other members of the cast are mentioned by name. Susan Dey, Alan Rachins and
even Richard Dysart who simply has a cameo role.

Hamlin was arguably the star of the show during his tenure (1986-1991) and
was definitely the centerpiece of the TV movie. It almost seems like a
deliberate attempt to omit him.

A similar thing happened to Beverley D'Angelo on the National Lampoon's
Vacation Special Edition. Perhaps they were miffed because she didn't join
the others in the cast commentary?

It brings to mind the Robin Williams in Aladdin fiasco. The "making of"
picturebook kept using the phrase "the guy who played the genie."

Any conspiracy theories?

jayembee

"Chris Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I saw the L.A. Law reunion movie DVD in store the other
> day and noticed something strange on the packaging.
>
> While there are pictures on the front and back, the
> description has NO mention of Harry Hamlin as Michael
> Kuzak. It reads something like "a former member of the
> firm returns..."
>
> Other members of the cast are mentioned by name. Susan Dey,
> Alan Rachins and even Richard Dysart who simply has a cameo
> role.
>
> Hamlin was arguably the star of the show during his tenure
> (1986-1991) and was definitely the centerpiece of the TV
> movie. It almost seems like a deliberate attempt to omit
> him.

Or a misguided attempt at keeping his appearance a surprise.
One might guess that the aforementioned "former member of
the firm" is Michael Kuzak, but then, one might also guess
it to be Victor Sifuentes (Jimmy Smits).

-- jayembee

jayembee

Forgot to add...

"Chris Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A similar thing happened to Beverley D'Angelo on the
> National Lampoon's Vacation Special Edition. Perhaps
> they were miffed because she didn't join the others
> in the cast commentary?
>
> It brings to mind the Robin Williams in Aladdin fiasco.
> The "making of" picturebook kept using the phrase "the
> guy who played the genie."
>
> Any conspiracy theories?

I think you're reading too much into it. This kind of thing
happens often, for many different reasons. Such as actors
appearing in a movie or TV series episode without billing.
Why? Who knows? Each one has their own reason.

-- jayembee

Don Reeves

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:36:18 GMT, "Chris Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I saw the L.A. Law reunion movie DVD in store the other day and noticed
>something strange on the packaging.
>
>While there are pictures on the front and back, the description has NO
>mention of Harry Hamlin as Michael Kuzak. It reads something like "a former
>member of the firm returns..."
>
>Other members of the cast are mentioned by name. Susan Dey, Alan Rachins and
>even Richard Dysart who simply has a cameo role.
>
>Hamlin was arguably the star of the show during his tenure (1986-1991) and
>was definitely the centerpiece of the TV movie. It almost seems like a
>deliberate attempt to omit him.
>
>A similar thing happened to Beverley D'Angelo on the National Lampoon's
>Vacation Special Edition. Perhaps they were miffed because she didn't join
>the others in the cast commentary?
>
>It brings to mind the Robin Williams in Aladdin fiasco. The "making of"
>picturebook kept using the phrase "the guy who played the genie."
>
>Any conspiracy theories?

Most likely the actors have a contract that states that the
distributor has to pay extra to use the name in advertising.