Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Mythbusters DVD ripoff

Mythbusters DVD ripoff

Colin Caulkins

I was watching Mythbusters the other day when an ad popped up at the
bottom of the screen announcing the availability of Mythbusters on DVD.
Out of curiosity, I went to Discovery Channel's website to see what they
were offering. The DVDs have only one 50-minute episode per disc and sell
for $21.95 each! That has to be the worst value for money I've seen for
DVD. They sell the entire set of five discs for $64.95 which is better
value but still not great. I can't imagine many people are buying them.

Colin

Biz

"Colin Caulkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was watching Mythbusters the other day when an ad popped up at the
> bottom of the screen announcing the availability of Mythbusters on DVD.
> Out of curiosity, I went to Discovery Channel's website to see what they
> were offering. The DVDs have only one 50-minute episode per disc and sell
> for $21.95 each! That has to be the worst value for money I've seen for
> DVD. They sell the entire set of five discs for $64.95 which is better
> value but still not great. I can't imagine many people are buying them.
>
> Colin

Hence now you have one reason why they are so expensive...low volume...

Pug Fugley

Same with American Chopper. Same episodes as on TV (minus commercials). No
extras. Still edited. $20 per ep. Yeah right.

"Colin Caulkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was watching Mythbusters the other day when an ad popped up at the
> bottom of the screen announcing the availability of Mythbusters on DVD.
> Out of curiosity, I went to Discovery Channel's website to see what they
> were offering. The DVDs have only one 50-minute episode per disc and sell
> for $21.95 each! That has to be the worst value for money I've seen for
> DVD. They sell the entire set of five discs for $64.95 which is better
> value but still not great. I can't imagine many people are buying them.
>
> Colin

EnEsX

> Same with American Chopper. Same episodes as on TV (minus commercials). No
> extras. Still edited. $20 per ep. Yeah right.

Even worse, if there's a two or three part episode of AC, each part is
$22. I'm sure they can fit all two/three parts on one DVD and price it
accordingly. They may bundle them but it still comes out to $45 for
two/three part episode. I'll keep my taped copy with commercials.

Stan Brown

"Colin Caulkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>I was watching Mythbusters the other day when an ad popped up at the
>bottom of the screen announcing the availability of Mythbusters on DVD.
>Out of curiosity, I went to Discovery Channel's website to see what they
>were offering. The DVDs have only one 50-minute episode per disc and sell
>for $21.95 each! That has to be the worst value for money I've seen for
>DVD. They sell the entire set of five discs for $64.95 which is better
>value but still not great. I can't imagine many people are buying them.

Cable networks seem not to understand the successful DVD pricing
model.

I went to the Food Network's site to buy some "Good Eats" episodes
as Christmas gifts. Again, horribly overpriced, something like $20
for two 20-minute episodes. Needless to say, I didn't buy.

This reminds me of the old Peanuts carton.

Panel 1: A lemonade stand, with sign: "Lemonade $100 a glass".

Panel 2: "Isn't that expensive?"

Panel 3: "Yes, but think of the profit if we sell just one!"

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Stan Brown

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Hence now you have one reason why they are so expensive...low volume...

Chicken or egg?

If they were more reasonably priced, the volume would be higher.

http://OakRoadSystems.com