Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Does laser CAV Trump DVD?

Does laser CAV Trump DVD?

Smaug69

TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Not irrelevent at all. DVD can't be considered "superior" when it is hampered
> by the exact same limitations as LD.

No, it's not. DVD is not hampered by composite video.

> It's like saying that sports car B
> is "far superior" to sports car A because it has it's speed limiter set to
> 30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.

Useless analogy.

> DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
> playback doesn't change that.

DVD's resolution is superior to LD. To say anything else is display
your ignorance and/or stupidity.

Smaug69

Smaug69

TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

<snip>

> Yes, DVD is better. But it isn't "far superior". It's only a little
> better.

No one said it was far superior, they only said it was superior. Even
if something is a little better than something that means it's
superior.

> Wait till HDTV, or it's successor and then go compare LD to DVD.
> Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with HDTV either. Too little
> too late, like ISDN.

What do you mean "wait until HDTV?" HDTV has been here for several
years now. And you're not impressed with it? That means you haven't
actually seen it.

> Or go outside, make your way to a decent movie theater, and watch
> a film. Then compare that to DVD and LD.

Bringing HDTV and the theater into a discussion about LD versus DVD is
just inane.

Smaug69

Hugh Candlin

Smaug69 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
> > On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > than

> > >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

> > Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

> Uh, someone asked about Laserdisc and DVD so NTSC is the only consideration here.
>
> Smaug69

Why do you think so?

TCS

On 13 May 2004 12:09:00 -0700, Smaug69 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

>> Not irrelevent at all. DVD can't be considered "superior" when it is hampered
>> by the exact same limitations as LD.

>No, it's not. DVD is not hampered by composite video.

>> It's like saying that sports car B
>> is "far superior" to sports car A because it has it's speed limiter set to
>> 30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.

>Useless analogy.
>
>> DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
>> playback doesn't change that.

>DVD's resolution is superior to LD. To say anything else is display
>your ignorance and/or stupidity.

It's not "vastly superior".

Mike Kohary

"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It's not "vastly superior".

The only person who used that phrase is you.

Mike

Jordan Lund

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<iOioc.75793$kh4.4363268@attbi_s52>...
> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image than
> a DVD?

Stillframe is irrelevant because CAV only holds 30 minutes a side,
meaning side breaks and disc breaks.

I have both and I haven't turned on my LD player in YEARS. The last
time was to watch the Star Wars set...

- Jordan

Karyudo

On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:30:09 -0700, Paul Jepperson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Karyudo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:21:40 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Your answer is a non-sequitor. DVD and laserdisc are both NTSC, and of
>> >the two DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

>> I like people who can use "non-sequitur" correctly in a sentence. And
>> who can write a succinct and correct answer. Nicely done!
>>

>Agree, except to note that non sequitur shouldn't be hyphenated.

Ah, you're right. No hyphen in ad-hoc or anno-domini, either...

Matthew L. Martin

TCS wrote:
> Yes! Just pick a movie that isn't available on DVD.

What part of "all things being equal" didn't you understand?

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.

Frank Malczewski

Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > It's not "vastly superior".

> The only person who used that phrase is you.
>
> Mike

Me I'd go with 'way superior'.

Biz

"Smaug69" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
> > On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

image
> > than

> > >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

> > Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

> Uh, someone asked about Laserdisc and DVD so NTSC is the only

consideration here.

> Smaug69

LDs also had PAL releases, so why is NTSC the only consideration?