Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Does laser CAV Trump DVD?

Reply
Thread Tools

Does laser CAV Trump DVD?

 
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:25:36 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
> >> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> >"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> >news:iOioc.75793$kh4.4363268@attbi_s52...
> >> >> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better

image
> >> >than
> >> >> a DVD?
> >>
> >> >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.
> >>
> >> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

>
> >Irrelevant, the advantages listed above are quantitative and independent

of
> >the playback device.

>
> Not irrelevent at all. DVD can't be considered "superior" when it is

hampered
> by the exact same limitations as LD. It's like saying that sports car B
> is "far superior" to sports car A because it has it's speed limiter set to
> 30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.
>
> DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
> playback doesn't change that.


The question involved a comparison between DVD and LD. Your independent
opinion of DVD in general is noted, but is still irrelevant.

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:slrnca4i41.tjr.The-Central-
>
> Yes, DVD is better. But it isn't "far superior". It's only a little
> better.
>
> Wait till HDTV, or it's successor and then go compare LD to DVD.
> Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with HDTV either. Too little
> too late, like ISDN.
>
> Or go outside, make your way to a decent movie theater, and watch
> a film. Then compare that to DVD and LD.


Yeah, ok, we can see that your expectations are realistic.

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
LASERandDVDfan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
>Its a tough question especially since all things can never be equal when
>comparing CAV LDs(analog) to DVD(digital). 1st of all, DVDs have up to
>720x480/720x576 resolution, which was not possible with LDs. Personally, I
>have never seen a well done DVD that did not outperform a well done LD...


Also consider that LD, standard play or extended play, is composite video. DVD
is color separate component video. - Reinhart
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joshua Zyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better

image
> >than
> >> a DVD?

>
> >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

>
> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.


Your answer is a non-sequitor. DVD and laserdisc are both NTSC, and of
the two DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Joshua Zyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, DVD is better. But it isn't "far superior". It's only a little
> better.
>
> Wait till HDTV, or it's successor and then go compare LD to DVD.
> Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with HDTV either. Too little
> too late, like ISDN.
>
> Or go outside, make your way to a decent movie theater, and watch
> a film. Then compare that to DVD and LD.


In a bad mood today, are we?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Karyudo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:21:40 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Your answer is a non-sequitor. DVD and laserdisc are both NTSC, and of
>the two DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.


I like people who can use "non-sequitur" correctly in a sentence. And
who can write a succinct and correct answer. Nicely done!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
No!

=========
"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iOioc.75793$kh4.4363268@attbi_s52...
: All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image
than
: a DVD?
:
: Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs
:
:


 
Reply With Quote
 
TCS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
Yes! Just pick a movie that isn't available on DVD.



On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:02:45 -0700, Richard C. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>No!


>=========
>"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:iOioc.75793$kh4.4363268@attbi_s52...
>: All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image
>than
>: a DVD?
>:
>: Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs
>:
>:



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Jepperson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Karyudo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:21:40 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Your answer is a non-sequitor. DVD and laserdisc are both NTSC, and of
> >the two DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

>
> I like people who can use "non-sequitur" correctly in a sentence. And
> who can write a succinct and correct answer. Nicely done!
>


Agree, except to note that non sequitur shouldn't be hyphenated.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Smaug69
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:iOioc.75793$kh4.4363268@attbi_s52...
> >> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

> than
> >> a DVD?

>
> >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.


Uh, someone asked about Laserdisc and DVD so NTSC is the only consideration here.

Smaug69
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does any camera come with a laser pointer? Peter Jason Digital Photography 90 01-25-2013 02:14 PM
Thank you Mr. Donald J. Trump Ministries In Faith Java 0 07-11-2009 07:05 PM
Epson EPL-6200 Laser Printer @ TrustedReviews Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-26-2005 02:05 AM
does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ? videogamedude@gmail.com DVD Video 30 04-25-2005 03:34 AM
FA: TERROR FIRMER SE dvd, FORBIDDEN PLANET CAV laserdisc, JR DVD Video 0 02-19-2004 06:42 PM



Advertisments