Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Does laser CAV Trump DVD?

Does laser CAV Trump DVD?

Curtin/Dobbs

All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image than
a DVD?

Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

Biz

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

than
> a DVD?
>
> Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

Its a tough question especially since all things can never be equal when
comparing CAV LDs(analog) to DVD(digital). 1st of all, DVDs have up to
720x480/720x576 resolution, which was not possible with LDs. Personally, I
have never seen a well done DVD that did not outperform a well done LD...

Joshua Zyber

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

than
> a DVD?

No.

There is very little difference between a CLV and a CAV disc in terms of
perceptible picture quality. Laserdisc is still laserdisc.

Mike Kohary

"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

than
> a DVD?

No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

Mike

TCS

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

>than
>> a DVD?

>No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

Mike Kohary

"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

> >than
> >> a DVD?

> >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

Irrelevant, the advantages listed above are quantitative and independent of
the playback device.

Mike

TCS

On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:25:36 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >than

>> >No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

>> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

>Irrelevant, the advantages listed above are quantitative and independent of
>the playback device.

Not irrelevent at all. DVD can't be considered "superior" when it is hampered
by the exact same limitations as LD. It's like saying that sports car B
is "far superior" to sports car A because it has it's speed limiter set to
30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.

DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
playback doesn't change that.

John S. Dyson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> All things being equal, does a CAV laser disc produce a better image

>>than
>>> a DVD?

>>No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.

PAL laserdisks aren't any different -- DVD is still better.
For HiDefinition formats, that is different.

John

Biz

"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 30.0mph instead of 29.0mph.
>
> DVD's resolution sucks. That it is less noisy and has more accurate color
> playback doesn't change that.

Sucks compared to what? HDTV that wasnt really even around yet? Why would
anyone come out with a super duper high-res media when there would have been
little or no market for it at the time? Besides D-VHS, what other portable
format that is for sale today is better than DVD?

TCS

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:24:24 +0000 (UTC), John S. Dyson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.dvd.]
>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 06:03:31 -0700, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>"Curtin/Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>than

>>>No, because DVD has superior resolution and color fidelity.

>> Only if you consider NTSC the final goal of video playback.
>>

>PAL laserdisks aren't any different -- DVD is still better.
>For HiDefinition formats, that is different.

Yes, DVD is better. But it isn't "far superior". It's only a little
better.

Wait till HDTV, or it's successor and then go compare LD to DVD.
Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with HDTV either. Too little
too late, like ISDN.

Or go outside, make your way to a decent movie theater, and watch
a film. Then compare that to DVD and LD.