Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > PC playback problems

PC playback problems

nsj

Hello,

Windows XP Pro, Matrox G450 MMS, XP2000+, 512MB, PowerDVD, VLC, DX9.

With both monitors enabled, running windowed uses 60-70% of CPU time.
Running full screen uses more CPU time than is actually available; frames
get dropped, the video gets behind the sound.

Turning off the second monitor in Control Panel means full-screen video
plays without a hitch, although CPU time does still seem a little high.

Any ideas? I don't remember this problem when I was running Windows 2000
with the same hardware. :-/

Cheers&TIA,
nsj.
--
Now Playing: Stereophonics - Looks Like Chaplin [192kbps mp3]

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 09 May 2004 00:37:35 +0100, nsj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Windows XP Pro, Matrox G450 MMS, XP2000+, 512MB, PowerDVD, VLC, DX9.
>
>With both monitors enabled, running windowed uses 60-70% of CPU time.
>Running full screen uses more CPU time than is actually available; frames
>get dropped, the video gets behind the sound.
>
>Turning off the second monitor in Control Panel means full-screen video
>plays without a hitch, although CPU time does still seem a little high.
>
>Any ideas? I don't remember this problem when I was running Windows 2000
>with the same hardware. :-/
>
>Cheers&TIA,
>nsj.

The two things that matter are the version/build of PowerDVD, and the
CPU speed of the computer, neither of which you mentioned.

Some builds of PwerDVD have a bug where in full screen mode on XP only
it draws a frame around the video. This seems to greatly increase CPU
utilization. Try upgrading PowerDVD.

..Steve .

nsj

Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2004 00:37:35 +0100, nsj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Windows XP Pro, Matrox G450 MMS, XP2000+, 512MB, PowerDVD, VLC, DX9.
>>
>>With both monitors enabled, running windowed uses 60-70% of CPU time.
>>Running full screen uses more CPU time than is actually available; frames
>>get dropped, the video gets behind the sound.
>>
>>Turning off the second monitor in Control Panel means full-screen video
>>plays without a hitch, although CPU time does still seem a little high.
>>
>>Any ideas? I don't remember this problem when I was running Windows 2000
>>with the same hardware. :-/
>>

> The two things that matter are the version/build of PowerDVD, and the
> CPU speed of the computer, neither of which you mentioned.

I mentioned the speed of my computer; XP2000+. PowerDVD is Version 4.0

> Some builds of PwerDVD have a bug where in full screen mode on XP only
> it draws a frame around the video. This seems to greatly increase CPU
> utilization. Try upgrading PowerDVD.

Would that also affect DVD playback in Windows Media Player and VLC? They
have the same problems. CPU use on windowed playback is also very high.

Cheers,
nsj.
--
Now Playing: Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run)
[192kbps mp3]

nsj

nsj wrote:
> Would that also affect DVD playback in Windows Media Player and VLC?
> They have the same problems. CPU use on windowed playback is also very
> high.

Having just done a PowerDVD diagnostic:

YUY2 Buffers: Fail
UYVY Buffers: Fail
YVYU Buffers: N/A
VYUY Buffers: N/A
YV12 Buffers: Fail
YUY2: Fail
UYVY: Fail
YVYU: N/A
VYUY: N/A
YV12: Fail
HALF YUY2: Fail
HALF UYVY: Fail
HALF YVYU: N/A
HALF VYUY: N/A
HALF YV12: Fail
BOB YUY2: Fail
BOB UYVY: Fail
BOB YVYU: N/A
BOB VYUY: N/A
BOB YV12: Fail

--
Now Playing: East 17 & Gabrielle - If You Ever [192kbps mp3]

Colon Terminus

"nsj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Windows XP Pro, Matrox G450 MMS, XP2000+, 512MB, PowerDVD, VLC, DX9.
>
> With both monitors enabled, running windowed uses 60-70% of CPU time.
> Running full screen uses more CPU time than is actually available; frames
> get dropped, the video gets behind the sound.
>
> Turning off the second monitor in Control Panel means full-screen video
> plays without a hitch, although CPU time does still seem a little high.
>
> Any ideas? I don't remember this problem when I was running Windows 2000
> with the same hardware. :-/
>
> Cheers&TIA,
> nsj.
> --
> Now Playing: Stereophonics - Looks Like Chaplin [192kbps mp3]

I had the same problem with similar hardware. A reformat and reinstall of
Windows 2000 Professional solved all my video problems.

I can't think of ANY reason whatsoever to run XP.

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sun, 09 May 2004 03:35:56 +0100, nsj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>nsj wrote:
>> Would that also affect DVD playback in Windows Media Player and VLC?
>> They have the same problems. CPU use on windowed playback is also very
>> high.

>Having just done a PowerDVD diagnostic:
>
>YUY2 Buffers: Fail
>UYVY Buffers: Fail
>YVYU Buffers: N/A
>VYUY Buffers: N/A
>YV12 Buffers: Fail
>YUY2: Fail
>UYVY: Fail
>YVYU: N/A
>VYUY: N/A
>YV12: Fail
>HALF YUY2: Fail
>HALF UYVY: Fail
>HALF YVYU: N/A
>HALF VYUY: N/A
>HALF YV12: Fail
>BOB YUY2: Fail
>BOB UYVY: Fail
>BOB YVYU: N/A
>BOB VYUY: N/A
>BOB YV12: Fail

First run dxdiag.exe (from the Run box) to confirm that DirectX is ok.
Follow instructions if it's not.

Forget about Media Player, particularly 9.0 which is the most terrible
player around. Stick to PowerDVD. Make certain the PDVD build is not
1015.. right click on the excecutable and under properties check the
version number. Also low 2000's seem to have problems.

Unregister the Cyberlink codecs: From a command window in the codec's
diretories --

Regsvr32 /u (path)\CLAUD.ax
Regsvr32 /u (path)\CLVSD.ax
Regsvr32 /u (path)\CLNAVX.ax

Uninstall PowerDVD, reboot, reinstall PowerDVD making certain it's
1815 or higher. Try again. There is no need to reinstall XP, which
would also have the effect of "resetting" the codecs.

. Steve .

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Sat, 08 May 2004 23:45:33 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 May 2004 03:35:56 +0100, nsj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I forgot to mention that you absolutely can NOT run multiple displays
with PowerDVD 4.0, particularly under XP which handles display
differently from W2K. You have to disable the second display in
Display Properties, you may even have to remove or disable the card in
Device Manager; otherwise you get the Overlay failure you're seeing or
"Not enough memory for display" If this is an issue then you have to
get PowerDVD 5.0, which fully supports multiple display cards.

>>nsj wrote:
>>> Would that also affect DVD playback in Windows Media Player and VLC?
>>> They have the same problems. CPU use on windowed playback is also very
>>> high.

>>Having just done a PowerDVD diagnostic:
>>
>>YUY2 Buffers: Fail
>>UYVY Buffers: Fail
>>YVYU Buffers: N/A
>>VYUY Buffers: N/A
>>YV12 Buffers: Fail
>>YUY2: Fail
>>UYVY: Fail
>>YVYU: N/A
>>VYUY: N/A
>>YV12: Fail
>>HALF YUY2: Fail
>>HALF UYVY: Fail
>>HALF YVYU: N/A
>>HALF VYUY: N/A
>>HALF YV12: Fail
>>BOB YUY2: Fail
>>BOB UYVY: Fail
>>BOB YVYU: N/A
>>BOB VYUY: N/A
>>BOB YV12: Fail

>First run dxdiag.exe (from the Run box) to confirm that DirectX is ok.
>Follow instructions if it's not.
>
>Forget about Media Player, particularly 9.0 which is the most terrible
>player around. Stick to PowerDVD. Make certain the PDVD build is not
>1015.. right click on the excecutable and under properties check the
>version number. Also low 2000's seem to have problems.
>
>Unregister the Cyberlink codecs: From a command window in the codec's
>diretories --
>
>Regsvr32 /u (path)\CLAUD.ax
>Regsvr32 /u (path)\CLVSD.ax
>Regsvr32 /u (path)\CLNAVX.ax
>
>Uninstall PowerDVD, reboot, reinstall PowerDVD making certain it's
>1815 or higher. Try again. There is no need to reinstall XP, which
>would also have the effect of "resetting" the codecs.
>
> . Steve .

nsj

Colon Terminus wrote:
> I can't think of ANY reason whatsoever to run XP.

Better support for new hardware and an improved UI were my main reasons for
upgrading.

--
Now Playing: Fun Boy 3 - Our Lips Are Sealed [192kbps mp3]