Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Advice From Newbie On Selecting a Home DVD Player, Please ?

Advice From Newbie On Selecting a Home DVD Player, Please ?

Robert11

Hello:

Not too sharp with this, and would really appreciate some advice.
Probably should have years ago, but have finally decided to buy a dvd
player.

Will not be used too much, frankly, and am not a video or audio hobbyist.
Just the occasional dvd for home viewing.

Saw a Memorex dvd with progresive scan advertised by Sears for about $35.
Obviously, prety cheap.

-What features do I really want/need for an occasional user ?
-Any brands in particular to stay away from ?

-Opinions on the Sears Memorex unit, or other fairly cheap players in
general ?

Much thanks; appreciate help,
Bob

TomH

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> Not too sharp with this, and would really appreciate some advice.
> Probably should have years ago, but have finally decided to buy a dvd
> player.
>
> Will not be used too much, frankly, and am not a video or audio hobbyist.
> Just the occasional dvd for home viewing.
>
> Saw a Memorex dvd with progresive scan advertised by Sears for about $35.
> Obviously, prety cheap.
>
> -What features do I really want/need for an occasional user ?
> -Any brands in particular to stay away from ?
>
> -Opinions on the Sears Memorex unit, or other fairly cheap players in
> general ?
>
> Much thanks; appreciate help,
> Bob

Buy one that supports all the formats. As I found out, you may not know what
you want to play, and a lot of players will play them all. Pay more for quality,
you get what you pay for, and those cheap models usually don't last very long.

-Tom