Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Jurassic Park Superbit problem with DTS...

Jurassic Park Superbit problem with DTS...

Kevin Miller

.... with advice from a USENET poster I bought the asian version on
ebay and can't seem to get the DTS to work... anyone else have this
problem? I guess it's possible it doesn't have it (disc actually
looks quite 'unprofessional' i.e. bootleg) but the packaging clearly
says DTS ES

Thanks!!!

P.S. The video doesn't look much different on my 65" XBR either...

Derek Janssen

Kevin Miller wrote:

> ... with advice from a USENET poster I bought the asian version on
> ebay and can't seem to get the DTS to work... anyone else have this
> problem? I guess it's possible it doesn't have it (disc actually
> looks quite 'unprofessional' i.e. bootleg) but the packaging clearly
> says DTS ES

Well, funny you should mention that, seeing as how only a few threads
earlier, we were talking about how only Sony Col/Tri films come out as
Superbits...

And JP being a Universal film, and all...

Derek Janssen (...HMMMM.)

Joshua Zyber

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4099be70$0$3039$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ... with advice from a USENET poster I bought the asian version on
> > ebay and can't seem to get the DTS to work... anyone else have this
> > problem? I guess it's possible it doesn't have it (disc actually
> > looks quite 'unprofessional' i.e. bootleg) but the packaging clearly
> > says DTS ES

> Well, funny you should mention that, seeing as how only a few threads
> earlier, we were talking about how only Sony Col/Tri films come out as
> Superbits...
>
> And JP being a Universal film, and all...
>
> Derek Janssen (...HMMMM.)

Jurassic Park is distributed by Columbia TriStar in Japan, and there is
a legitimate Region 2 SuperBit release there.

However, I suspect that the original poster indeed bought one of the
many "Region 0" fake-SuperBit bootleg discs that proliferate on eBay. In
that case, he got what he paid for, crap.

Grand Inquisitor

Derek Janssen wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>
>> ... with advice from a USENET poster I bought the asian version on
>> ebay and can't seem to get the DTS to work... anyone else have this
>> problem? I guess it's possible it doesn't have it (disc actually
>> looks quite 'unprofessional' i.e. bootleg) but the packaging clearly
>> says DTS ES

> Well, funny you should mention that, seeing as how only a few threads
> earlier, we were talking about how only Sony Col/Tri films come out as
> Superbits...
>
> And JP being a Universal film, and all...
>
> Derek Janssen (...HMMMM.)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Heh heh heh. Jurassic Park *was* released as a Superbit title in Japan,
Mr. Smarty-pants.

--
"Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
--Hilary Clinton

Grand Inquisitor

Grand Inquisitor

Kevin Miller wrote:

> ... with advice from a USENET poster I bought the asian version on
> ebay and can't seem to get the DTS to work... anyone else have this
> problem? I guess it's possible it doesn't have it (disc actually
> looks quite 'unprofessional' i.e. bootleg) but the packaging clearly
> says DTS ES
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> P.S. The video doesn't look much different on my 65" XBR either...

Forgive what may be a stupid question, but you do have a DTS compatible
receiver/pre-processor, right?

--
"Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
--Hilary Clinton

Grand Inquisitor

Kevin Miller

"he got what he paid for" - you post as though I meant to somehow
screw the system... I tried to buy a set I cannot get here in the U.S.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 11:41:28 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4099be70$0$3039$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > ... with advice from a USENET poster I bought the asian version on
>> > ebay and can't seem to get the DTS to work... anyone else have this
>> > problem? I guess it's possible it doesn't have it (disc actually
>> > looks quite 'unprofessional' i.e. bootleg) but the packaging clearly
>> > says DTS ES

>> Well, funny you should mention that, seeing as how only a few threads
>> earlier, we were talking about how only Sony Col/Tri films come out as
>> Superbits...
>>
>> And JP being a Universal film, and all...
>>
>> Derek Janssen (...HMMMM.)

>Jurassic Park is distributed by Columbia TriStar in Japan, and there is
>a legitimate Region 2 SuperBit release there.
>
>However, I suspect that the original poster indeed bought one of the
>many "Region 0" fake-SuperBit bootleg discs that proliferate on eBay. In
>that case, he got what he paid for, crap.

Joshua Zyber

"Kevin Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "he got what he paid for" - you post as though I meant to somehow
> screw the system... I tried to buy a set I cannot get here in the U.S.

You should have done some research, or asked before you purchased. Just
keep in mind for the future that most Asian discs on eBay are bootlegs,
especially if they are American movies or TV shows and claim to be
"Region 0".

Mike Kohary

"Kevin Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "he got what he paid for" - you post as though I meant to somehow
> screw the system... I tried to buy a set I cannot get here in the U.S.

Why don't you just buy the R1 disc(s)?

Mike

Richard

Kevin Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> ... with advice from a USENET poster I bought the asian version on
> ebay and can't seem to get the DTS to work... anyone else have this
> problem? I guess it's possible it doesn't have it (disc actually
> looks quite 'unprofessional' i.e. bootleg) but the packaging clearly
> says DTS ES
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> P.S. The video doesn't look much different on my 65" XBR either...

Honestly, I thought this "imports are better" crap ended with gold
CDs and overpriced laserdiscs. Why give the Orient ANY money for
DVDs considering their pirating of them is hurting the industry????
-Rich

Kevin Miller

Live and learn I guess... won't need to buy any Asian DVD's again
anyway... I'll just wait for the HD-DVD version in 4 or 5 years! Or
maybe 2 to 3 if we're lucky!!!