Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wal-mart awfulness

Wal-mart awfulness

Rich Clark

Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.

Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.

RichC

Mark B.

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>
> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively

evil.

> RichC

Target did the same thing with Peter Pan. WS is full price at $20, P&S on
sale for $18. I've never seen this before with any title. Maybe it's a
marketing test?

Mark

frankb@sonic.net

Rich Clark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
} Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
} but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
} on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
}
} Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.

Maybe the only way they can move the FS version is to discount it.
The widescreen version must be selling at $20/each.

--

Frank Ball http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Grand Inquisitor

Rich Clark wrote:
> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>
> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.
>
> RichC

According to some research done by www.widescreen.org Wal-Marts differ
from location to location on their WS policies. Generally speaking
Wal-Mart is pro-P&S, but there are local managers who prefer to go the
other way.

--
"Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
--Hilary Clinton

Grand Inquisitor

Murder

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:jbimc.10017$(E-Mail Removed):

> Rich Clark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> } Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad
> enough, } but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last
> Samurai" FS version } on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on
> sale, costs $20. }
> } Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but
> actively evil.
>
> Maybe the only way they can move the FS version is to discount it.
> The widescreen version must be selling at $20/each.

And that might mean that people are catching on. Anyway, it's just Wal-
Mart. They carry everything on earth, a person can't expect them to be
experts on everything they carry. Best Buy gets on my nerves, sometimes,
but they are getting better. Wal-Mart will move like a dinosaur on WS,
just like everything else.

Jay G

Mark B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
>> Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version on sale for $15.
>> Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.

> Target did the same thing with Peter Pan. WS is full price at $20,
> P&S on sale for $18. I've never seen this before with any title.
> Maybe it's a marketing test?

Typically this is a mistake, one caused by having more than one
version of a DVD. Whoever entered the sale information
into the computer probably missed the 2nd version of the film.
You could talk to an employee or manager, they'd probably
give it to you for the reduced price.

-Jay

RnR Lesnar

At the wal mart here, they also remodeled everything and it's now even more
impossible to find DVD's. They also stopped doing the first week sale on new
releases unless you tell them Best Buy or other stores have it cheaper.
Full-screen is dominating their selection unfortunately. I'll just continue
to order dvd's over the internet.

--
RnR Lesnar
It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>
> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively

evil.

> RichC

bruce

Well ....
At least they ARE selling the WS now <grin>

Bruce

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>
> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively

evil.

> RichC

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jay G <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Mark B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> >> Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version on sale for $15.
> >> Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.

> > Target did the same thing with Peter Pan. WS is full price at $20,
> > P&S on sale for $18. I've never seen this before with any title.
> > Maybe it's a marketing test?

> Typically this is a mistake, one caused by having more than one
> version of a DVD. Whoever entered the sale information
> into the computer probably missed the 2nd version of the film.
> You could talk to an employee or manager, they'd probably
> give it to you for the reduced price.

If there's a sign that says the sale price, the store got it
pre-printed from HQ. Now, it could be they lost the widescreen sign...

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Prot

On Thu, 06 May 2004 03:23:26 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rich Clark wrote:
>> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
>> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
>> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>>
>> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.
>>
>> RichC
>>

>According to some research done by www.widescreen.org Wal-Marts differ
>from location to location on their WS policies. Generally speaking
>Wal-Mart is pro-P&S, but there are local managers who prefer to go the
>other way.

Our local Walmart actually has a posting showing differences between
P&S and WS, showing you just how much you are missing on P&S. Kudos
to the manager who made this decision to inform the uninformed that
just because the picture fills your entire screen, you are not getting
the whole picture.