Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wal-mart awfulness

Wal-mart awfulness

Geo H

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>
> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.
>
> RichC

I would love to able to jump ahead in time to the point where there
have been no more 4:3 sets avaialble for quite some time, and someone
is out buying a new TV becasue his old 4:3 finally bit the dust and
has NO CHOICE but to get a 16:9......then I want to follow him to his
house and watch as he pops in one of his FOOLSCREEN DVDs and see his
reaction to it being Pillarboxed on the sides
and there is nothing he can do about it without making his image look
distorted then I want to laugh at him as he rants and cries and
bitches about it and then wishes he had bought WIDESCREEN DVDs like he
SHOULD have done in the first place and deal with the fury of wife and
his children at his complete ignorance of advancing technology and how
he THOUGHT he knew better.

I want to be there for that in the worst way.

Knowing these Joe-6-pack trailer types, he'd probably gather a rally
and petition the WS tv makers to stop making 16:9 sets and go back to
making 4:3 - typical mentality.

Brian The Demolition Man Little

That's it Geo H I'm sick and tired of this crap!
Now someone hit my music....
> Knowing these Joe-6-pack trailer types, he'd probably gather a rally
> and petition the WS tv makers to stop making 16:9 sets and go back to
> making 4:3 - typical mentality.

Of course because according to them "it works just fine."

--
Demolition Man

macthevorlon@yahoo.com

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Mac Breck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has

> been bad enough,
> > > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last

> Samurai" FS version
> > > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs

> $20.
> > >
> > > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid,

> > but actively evil.
> >
> > Actually, that was just price-matching a competitor who'd
> > lowered the price on the FS version but not the WS version.

> It appears to have been the local Target they were matching. Interestingly,
> WM's (non-sale) price on the WS version was $3 lower that Target's.
>
> Academic to me; I don't shop for DVD's at this sort of store. I was there
> buying underwear.

Wal-Mart is where I buy all my Babylon 5 DVD sets. They're among the
least expensive local prices, and if any of the discs are damaged (I
check *before* I leave the video dept.), I can exchange for a good
replacement disc right then and there. No trips back to the store.
No mail order returns with lots of waiting, only to have every
replacement set show up similarly scratched. After, many sets that
arrived with loose, scratches discs, I quit buying B5 mail order.
Much better to pay a little more and do it locally.

KoshN

Jim Fraas

Had they not remanded it,it most likely would have been widescreen only.

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's

End of story!
"Robert Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Walmart itself has told Lucasfilm to offer a pan/scan Star Wars DVd
> >otherwise they would all have been widescreen only

> Got a source for this? I can see Wal-Mart requesting a pan/scan version-

even
> demanding it- but I'm somehow doubtful that Lucas was planning on
> widescreen-only. I don't seem to recall reading him bitch about his

artistic
> integrity when it came to pan-and-scan versions of every single other

video
> release he's ever done.

Josh

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<070520041945228401%(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <LgUmc.11965$A27.9910@fed1read06>, Boris
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
> > whatever they think is morally correct.

> Never seen a censored movie at walmart. They probably have a policy of
> no unrated or NC-17 films, just as they won't have cd's with bad words,
> but given that almost all films have an R rated cut released anyways
> it's not like Walmart itself is doing anything. Studios are more likely
> to add sex to a DVD then take it out.

I doubt they can Censor anything but they DO sell Censored movies.
I was taking a look at some of the 2 pack movies they have and saw
that Josie and the Pussycats had a sticker placed OVER the MPAA rating
that said something to the effect of "This movie has been edited for
Family Viewing". It was a small sticker and if I had purchased the
movie I would have gotten a "Wal-Mart" version that was missing
whatever they thought was racy (never saw the movie nor do I have any
interest in seeing it but the princible of it being a "Famliy
Friendly" version ****es me off). Not sure if they have other films
like this or not (anyone that has seen the movie know just what might
be racy to being with? It was a PG movie was it not?).

Rich Clark

"Josh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I doubt they can Censor anything but they DO sell Censored movies.
> I was taking a look at some of the 2 pack movies they have and saw
> that Josie and the Pussycats had a sticker placed OVER the MPAA rating
> that said something to the effect of "This movie has been edited for
> Family Viewing". It was a small sticker and if I had purchased the
> movie I would have gotten a "Wal-Mart" version that was missing
> whatever they thought was racy (never saw the movie nor do I have any
> interest in seeing it but the princible of it being a "Famliy
> Friendly" version ****es me off). Not sure if they have other films
> like this or not (anyone that has seen the movie know just what might
> be racy to being with? It was a PG movie was it not?).

Just because you happened to see it at Wal-Mart doesn't make Wal-Mart
responsible for its existence. The PG version of "Josie" is a studio
creation, and is in full release. You can buy it anywhere. The original
PG-13 version is available separately.

RichC

Brian The Demolition Man Little

That's it Jim Fraas I'm sick and tired of this crap!
Now someone hit my music....
> Had they not remanded it,it most likely would have been widescreen
> only.

Yep, Episode I was originally a Widescreen only release
until the day Episode II came out.

--
Demolition Man

Robert Morgan

<Regarding Wal-Mart demanding a P&S version of Star Wars DVD>

Jim Fraas, on 5/12/2004, wrote:
>Had they not remanded it,it most likely would have been widescreen only.

This is an interesting conjecture, but I'm still looking for an actual citation
of this. Do you actually have one?

Richard C.

"Boris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
: whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software,
games,
: etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real
thing'.
:
Wal-Mart NEVER censors movies.
The ones they sell are IDENTICAL to the same movies sold by others.
Many movies have "rated" and "unrated versions".
Wal-Mart merely selects the "rated" ones to sell.

You have fallen for an urban legend.