Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wal-mart awfulness

Wal-mart awfulness

Jim Fraas

and pan/scan is defective

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's

End of story!
"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fbGmc.27806$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mr. Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Recently I bought some DVD at Walmart, which cost $6.88. It didn't play,

> so I
> > returned it. The clerk from the electronics department gave me a lot of

> mouth
> > saying they didn't normally accept returns because of "copyright

issues."
> I felt
> > like saying ... "OK, this DVD costs $6.88 ... you sell blank DVDs for

what
> > $5.00? Does it make sense that I would waste an hour of my time to

return
> this
> > DVD to save $1.88?" (As it was, I was in the neighborhood anyway...)
> >

> They should only be accepting returns for exchange of same title only.

They
> should never accept returns on any opened software titles, just exchanges
> for defective copies.

Jim Fraas

I have purchased MANY widescreen titles at Walmart.
The last two times I was there,when I was getting a new title, I changed the
display so all the pan/scan copies were covered to give a customer the
illusion that Walmart only had the widescreen version

Walmart itself has told Lucasfilm to offer a pan/scan Star Wars DVd
otherwise they would all have been widescreen only becuase Lucas dosne't
have the balls to tell Walmart to please **** off when it comes to showing
Star WArs in the OAR as opposed to ****ed up to fill a screen.

OTOH disney has sold many millions of Pirates NO PAN/SCANs!

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
original intent.

End of story!
"Robert Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >If there's a sign that says the sale price, the store got it
> >pre-printed from HQ. Now, it could be they lost the widescreen sign...
> >

> Wal-Marts get almost no price-point signs pre-printed from "HQ." They're
> laser-printed on an as-needed basis by the department manager.
>
> As for Wal-Mart as a chain having a preference for P/S or WS, whether in
> stocking or in comping sales prices, it doesn't. Preference is

store-by-store,
> based on local sales, manager competence, etc. Considering the numerous

things
> a department manager has to do, (1) forgetting to flag a specific version

of a
> movie or (2) forgetting to put a specific version of a movie on sale with

its
> counterparts, indicates not an evil plan to **** off consumers nationwide,

but
> a local and simple error by a single person.
>
> Why people extrapolate an experience at an individual store to mean
> something's a chain-wide-enforced policy is beyond me.

Jim Fraas

THE reason is CA2FT's orginal rating was PG-13.
They key in a yes/no for a person being 17 or ever when getting R rated
films there and did the same for CA2FT, treating it like an R film.

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
original intent.

End of story!
"Shadowspawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:41:46 -0700, "Boris" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
> >whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software, games,
> >etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real thing'.
> >

> >"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Walmart is not doing this where I am. Both Last Samuri and Peter Pan

> >had
> >> the same sale price (14.8 widescreen and fullscreen. But the Walmart

> >> go to has a best buy, circuit city and media play nearby too.
> >>
> >> Mike

> >enough,

> >version

> >actively evil.

> Walmart doesn't have censored movies. Hollywood don't play dat.
> Unfortunately Walmart has enough clout that they can get the music
> industry to compromise their artistic vision and censore their own
> work simply because Walmart sells about 20% of all music in the world.
> Eminem is the only artist who refuses to censore and Walmart simply
> doesn't carry him.
>
> As for movies, its wWalmarts unspoken policy that they don't carry
> unrated versions of movies although they did (to my surprise) carry
> the Charlies Angels FT unrated cut, but had to go to BB for A.Pie 3

Shadowspawn

On Sat, 8 May 2004 05:44:46 -0400, Larry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> >If there's a sign that says the sale price, the store got it
>> >pre-printed from HQ. Now, it could be they lost the widescreen sign...
>> >

>> Wal-Marts get almost no price-point signs pre-printed from "HQ." They're
>> laser-printed on an as-needed basis by the department manager.
>>
>> As for Wal-Mart as a chain having a preference for P/S or WS, whether in
>> stocking or in comping sales prices, it doesn't. Preference is store-by-store,
>> based on local sales, manager competence, etc. Considering the numerous things
>> a department manager has to do, (1) forgetting to flag a specific version of a
>> movie or (2) forgetting to put a specific version of a movie on sale with its
>> counterparts, indicates not an evil plan to **** off consumers nationwide, but
>> a local and simple error by a single person.
>>
>> Why people extrapolate an experience at an individual store to mean
>> something's a chain-wide-enforced policy is beyond me.
>>

> Im in complete agreement here.
>
>In the "Local" Wal-mart in my town, it is very hard (if not impossible) to
>find ANY fullscreen copies of movies that are available in widescreen.
>
>Unfortunately, this is not so in the two other nearby Wal-Mart stores. They
>go in the other direction, and stock very few (if any) widescreen versions if
>fullscreen is available.

Agreed - each story orders their own stuff based on sales history. If
FS movies are selling well then that is what they order. I deal with
the moron consumers everyday who buy FS movies because "they don't own
a widescreen TV" or the insist that the top and bottom of the pictures
have been cut off. Just try explaining that the FS versions are the
ones that are actually butchered to some guy who is going home to his
trailer park to watch it on his 19" Zenith.

And they really bitch when a movie only comes out in widescreen - like
it's my fault, or when a movie is on DVD only and not VHS. DVD
players are down to $38 (the cost of 2-3 movies) and combo players are
down to $88. There's no excuse for anyone who buys/rents movies not
to own a DVD player by now.

Mr. Mike

On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:31:27 GMT, Shinner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>did you ask for another copy of the same movie or a refund?

This was some movie from their $6.88 "bargain bin," I wasn't interested in
rummaging around to find another copy which was equally defective.

>if another
>copy, I don't see why they should give you a hassle. A refund, different
>story (and most stores have a no return policy on opened dvds)

Even if it is defective?

>...if you
>claimed the dvd was defective, I'd have walked to the nearest player and
>verified your claim.

It was, wouldn't play on my DVD player or my computer's DVD player.

Biz

"Mr. Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:31:27 GMT, Shinner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >did you ask for another copy of the same movie or a refund?

> This was some movie from their $6.88 "bargain bin," I wasn't interested in
> rummaging around to find another copy which was equally defective.
>
> >if another
> >copy, I don't see why they should give you a hassle. A refund, different
> >story (and most stores have a no return policy on opened dvds)

> Even if it is defective?
>
> >...if you
> >claimed the dvd was defective, I'd have walked to the nearest player and
> >verified your claim.

> It was, wouldn't play on my DVD player or my computer's DVD player.

Defective or not, the policy almost everywhere is if its opened its
exchangeable for same title only, AS IT SHOULD BE. IMO they should verify
its defective as well. IF it truly is, then you should be able to pick out
another title of the same value. Just becuase a title does not play on your
two players, still does not guarentee its a defective title. Technically
both your drives could be going.

Shinner

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Y9hnc.61698$(E-Mail Removed):

> IMO they should
> verify its defective as well. IF it truly is, then you should be able
> to pick out another title of the same value.

This would be circumventing the policy, wouldn't it?

You're bringing it back because it's defective, not because you didn't like
the movie, therefore a non-defective copy of the movie should be an
acceptable exchange. If you weren't willing to accept that, I'd consider
things to be suspicious. What's to stop you from going through every DVD at
a particular dollar level? Now, I don't know who would be sad enough to buy
a movie, go home, rip it, return it as defective, pick another at the same
price, repeat as neccessary...but I bet some idiot would. Especially when
you get into the more expensive discs.

If there's not a good copy available, then they should refund the money
once it's verified to be defective.

Shinner

Mr. Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> This was some movie from their $6.88 "bargain bin," I wasn't
> interested in rummaging around to find another copy which was equally
> defective.

you already know another copy would be defective? Dang, that's
good...puzzles me why you bought a disc you already knew was defective
though.

> Even if it is defective?

most store policies are that they'll replace the disc if defective...I
bet you already knew that though when you bought it. If they don't have a
working copy to exchange, then yeah, I think they should refund you.

> It was, wouldn't play on my DVD player or my computer's DVD player.

What if it played on every DVD player in the store? If you were a store
owner and someone came in saying the disc didn't play and was defective
but you put it in every machine in your shop and it played
perfectly...would you be quick to hand out a refund?

Don't take this as some sort of defense of Walmart, the name on the front
of the store doesn't matter. Hell, I had Best Buy refuse to exchange an
unopened copy of the first Austin Powers movie because the receipt was
too old (it was a FF and I wanted the WS release). I'm not about
defending corporations but I can understand why they don't give refunds
or anything other than even exchanges on things that are pretty easily
copied.

GMAN

In article <LgUmc.11965$A27.9910@fed1read06>, "Boris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
>whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software, games,
>etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real thing'.

Grow up, its the same item!!!

>"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Walmart is not doing this where I am. Both Last Samuri and Peter Pan

>had
>> the same sale price (14.8 widescreen and fullscreen. But the Walmart

>> go to has a best buy, circuit city and media play nearby too.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Rich Clark wrote:
>> >
>> > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad

>enough,
>> > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS

>version
>> > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>> >
>> > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but

>actively evil.
>> >
>> > RichC

Robert Morgan

>Walmart itself has told Lucasfilm to offer a pan/scan Star Wars DVd
>otherwise they would all have been widescreen only

Got a source for this? I can see Wal-Mart requesting a pan/scan version- even
demanding it- but I'm somehow doubtful that Lucas was planning on
widescreen-only. I don't seem to recall reading him bitch about his artistic
integrity when it came to pan-and-scan versions of every single other video
release he's ever done.