Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wal-mart awfulness

Wal-mart awfulness

Mac Breck

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has

been bad enough,
> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last

Samurai" FS version
> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs

$20.

> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid,

but actively evil.

Actually, that was just price-matching a competitor who'd
lowered the price on the FS version but not the WS version.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------

Mike Jackson

> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>
> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively

evil.

To echo what others said in the thread, it's up to the individual stores.
The one I shop at stocks both WS and P&S and prices them the same. But, they
usually fewer copies of the WS version, so unless you get there at the
buttcrack of dawn on Tuesday, the WS versions of new releases are sold out.
For a few titles, I've shown up at 5:30AM when it was just me, the cleaning
crew, and a bleary-eyed cashier on the tail end of a graveyard shift.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Rich Clark

"Mac Breck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has

> been bad enough,
> > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last

> Samurai" FS version
> > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs

> $20.
> >
> > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid,

> but actively evil.
>
> Actually, that was just price-matching a competitor who'd
> lowered the price on the FS version but not the WS version.

It appears to have been the local Target they were matching. Interestingly,
WM's (non-sale) price on the WS version was $3 lower that Target's.

Academic to me; I don't shop for DVD's at this sort of store. I was there
buying underwear.

RichC

Boris

But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software, games,
etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real thing'.

"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Walmart is not doing this where I am. Both Last Samuri and Peter Pan

had
> the same sale price (14.8 widescreen and fullscreen. But the Walmart

> go to has a best buy, circuit city and media play nearby too.
>
> Mike
>
> Rich Clark wrote:
> >
> > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad

enough,
> > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS

version
> > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
> >
> > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but

actively evil.

> > RichC

Invid Fan

In article <LgUmc.11965$A27.9910@fed1read06>, Boris
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
> whatever they think is morally correct.

Never seen a censored movie at walmart. They probably have a policy of
no unrated or NC-17 films, just as they won't have cd's with bad words,
but given that almost all films have an R rated cut released anyways
it's not like Walmart itself is doing anything. Studios are more likely
to add sex to a DVD then take it out.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

WPM

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:41:46 -0700, "Boris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
>whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software, games,
>etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real thing'.
>

>"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Walmart is not doing this where I am. Both Last Samuri and Peter Pan

>had
>> the same sale price (14.8 widescreen and fullscreen. But the Walmart

>> go to has a best buy, circuit city and media play nearby too.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Rich Clark wrote:
>> >
>> > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad

>enough,
>> > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS

>version
>> > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>> >
>> > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but

>actively evil.
>> >
>> > RichC

They don't have the capability of having anything censored. We went through this with Ballbuster and that
proved to be a bunch of bullshit also.

Claire D. Lune

Shadowspawn

wrote:

>But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
>whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software, games,
>etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real thing'.
>

>"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Walmart is not doing this where I am. Both Last Samuri and Peter Pan

>had
>> the same sale price (14.8 widescreen and fullscreen. But the Walmart

>> go to has a best buy, circuit city and media play nearby too.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Rich Clark wrote:
>> >
>> > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad

>enough,
>> > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS

>version
>> > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
>> >
>> > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but

>actively evil.
>> >
>> > RichC

Walmart doesn't have censored movies. Hollywood don't play dat.
Unfortunately Walmart has enough clout that they can get the music
industry to compromise their artistic vision and censore their own
work simply because Walmart sells about 20% of all music in the world.
Eminem is the only artist who refuses to censore and Walmart simply
doesn't carry him.

As for movies, its wWalmarts unspoken policy that they don't carry
unrated versions of movies although they did (to my surprise) carry
the Charlies Angels FT unrated cut, but had to go to BB for A.Pie 3

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)robozz says...
> >If there's a sign that says the sale price, the store got it
> >pre-printed from HQ. Now, it could be they lost the widescreen sign...
> >

> Wal-Marts get almost no price-point signs pre-printed from "HQ." They're
> laser-printed on an as-needed basis by the department manager.
>
> As for Wal-Mart as a chain having a preference for P/S or WS, whether in
> stocking or in comping sales prices, it doesn't. Preference is store-by-store,
> based on local sales, manager competence, etc. Considering the numerous things
> a department manager has to do, (1) forgetting to flag a specific version of a
> movie or (2) forgetting to put a specific version of a movie on sale with its
> counterparts, indicates not an evil plan to **** off consumers nationwide, but
> a local and simple error by a single person.
>
> Why people extrapolate an experience at an individual store to mean
> something's a chain-wide-enforced policy is beyond me.

Im in complete agreement here.

In the "Local" Wal-mart in my town, it is very hard (if not impossible) to
find ANY fullscreen copies of movies that are available in widescreen.

Unfortunately, this is not so in the two other nearby Wal-Mart stores. They
go in the other direction, and stock very few (if any) widescreen versions if
fullscreen is available.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Mark B.

"Boris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
> whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software, games,
> etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real thing'.

Gimme a break...

Mike Kohary

"Boris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> But with Wal-Mart you never know if they had the movie censored to
> whatever they think is morally correct. I never buy any software, games,
> etc. there. Because I simply don't know if I'm getting the 'real thing'.

This notion is a myth. Wal-Mart doesn't have the ability to censor DVDs.

Mike