Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Recent problems playing DVD's

Recent problems playing DVD's

Moo

Hello!

Recently I have noticed that my DVD player is having a bit of trouble
playing DVD's, the movie usually plays ok, sometime with a few skips here
and there but I have mega trouble with some menu's.

The DVD's I have trouble with are clean and unscratched, sometimes new and
it is just like the DVD is playing the menu and it skips sometimes meaning I
cannot select an option before the menu starts to play again.

The player is a Phillips 723, I have had no trouble with it previously.

Could it simply need cleaning? If so would a DVD cleaning disc do the trick
and if so, what is a good one to get?

Many thanks!

Moo

Justin

Moo wrote on [Sat, 1 May 2004 21:39:12 +0100]:
> Hello!
>
> Recently I have noticed that my DVD player is having a bit of trouble
> playing DVD's

Playing DVD's what?

Moo

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Moo wrote on [Sat, 1 May 2004 21:39:12 +0100]:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Recently I have noticed that my DVD player is having a bit of trouble
> > playing DVD's

> Playing DVD's what?

eh? if you mean what type, movies. If you mean something else... er what
what?

Paul Jepperson

In article <c7203m$ab4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Moo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> > Moo wrote on [Sat, 1 May 2004 21:39:12 +0100]:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Recently I have noticed that my DVD player is having a bit of trouble
> > > playing DVD's

> > Playing DVD's what?
> >

> eh? if you mean what type, movies. If you mean something else... er what
> what?

Justin is nit-picking your punctuation. DVD's is the possessive form,
meaning something owned by or characteristic of a DVD. Thus his
question, "what?". DVDs is the plural form, meaning more than one DVD.
You probably meant the later. I personally think the world has bigger
problems than this to worry about.

Moo

"Paul Jepperson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <c7203m$ab4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Moo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

trouble

> > > Playing DVD's what?
> > >

> > eh? if you mean what type, movies. If you mean something else... er what
> > what?
> >

> Justin is nit-picking your punctuation. DVD's is the possessive form,
> meaning something owned by or characteristic of a DVD. Thus his
> question, "what?". DVDs is the plural form, meaning more than one DVD.
> You probably meant the later. I personally think the world has bigger
> problems than this to worry about.

Er. sorry. Do you have any help for my problem (the DVD problem that is, not
my English)..

Biz

"Moo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c711tg$vfl$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello!
|
| Recently I have noticed that my DVD player is having a bit of trouble
| playing DVD's, the movie usually plays ok, sometime with a few skips here
| and there but I have mega trouble with some menu's.
|
| The DVD's I have trouble with are clean and unscratched, sometimes new and
| it is just like the DVD is playing the menu and it skips sometimes meaning
| cannot select an option before the menu starts to play again.
|
| The player is a Phillips 723, I have had no trouble with it previously.
|
| Could it simply need cleaning? If so would a DVD cleaning disc do the
trick
| and if so, what is a good one to get?
|
| Many thanks!
|
| Moo

Chances are teh optics are beginning to fail. How old is the player, and
have you used it alot, or not much? Unless you live in a desert with the
windows open 24/7, or a smoky bar(i.e. very dirty or dusty environment),
cleaning is not usually an issue and many times can render a slightly faulty
machine to totally inoperable. Make sure all your discs are free of
fingerprints, scratches, and smudges. Cleaning the optics should be
performed just like cleaning of a camera lense, not some abrasive cleaning
disc spinning around ruining things.

Moo

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sDblc.22270$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Moo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c711tg$vfl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Hello!
> |
> | Recently I have noticed that my DVD player is having a bit of trouble
> | playing DVD's, the movie usually plays ok, sometime with a few skips

here
> | and there but I have mega trouble with some menu's.
> |
> | The DVD's I have trouble with are clean and unscratched, sometimes new

and
> | it is just like the DVD is playing the menu and it skips sometimes

meaning
> | cannot select an option before the menu starts to play again.
> |
> | The player is a Phillips 723, I have had no trouble with it previously.
> |
> | Could it simply need cleaning? If so would a DVD cleaning disc do the
> trick
> | and if so, what is a good one to get?
> |
> | Many thanks!
> |
> | Moo
> |

> Chances are teh optics are beginning to fail. How old is the player, and
> have you used it alot, or not much? Unless you live in a desert with the
> windows open 24/7, or a smoky bar(i.e. very dirty or dusty environment),
> cleaning is not usually an issue and many times can render a slightly

faulty
> machine to totally inoperable. Make sure all your discs are free of
> fingerprints, scratches, and smudges. Cleaning the optics should be
> performed just like cleaning of a camera lense, not some abrasive cleaning
> disc spinning around ruining things.

It is a couple of years old but has not been used more than normal, I can't
afford a new one. Like I say some of the discs are new and whilst I
appreciate they may have errors some of my older discs that I have not had
problems with before are also playing up.

The be honest this all started after I purchased the Who wants to be a
millionaire DVD, that was the first time I have ever seen the 'Disc Error'
message..