Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD's finally kicked VHS's ass

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD's finally kicked VHS's ass

 
 
Eric R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<dLWjc.13979$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net>...

> You need a TiVo.


I still use a VCR to tape TV shows. There is really no point in buying
a Tivo for me, because my cable sucks so bad that the improved quality
wouldn't make any difference anyway. It's easier (and cheaper) just to
keep the VCR.

And before you start calling me a neo-Luddite or something, keep in
mind that I have been into DVD since 1997.

I don't use the VCR for viewing movies or anything, unless they are
only available on VHS. I use DVD and LD for films. And I'm using LD
less and less, as more LD-exclusives come to DVD.

-Eric
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Eric R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
"Brian The Demolition Man Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Circuit City did that several years ago, in fact they were the
> first major retailer to quit carrying VHS.


Yeah, and they were also the first retailer to try to destroy DVD
(with their failed "divx" abomination). Nothing they do will ever make
up for that.

-Eric
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
TCS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:20:17 GMT, Arminio Grgic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>My current VCR is going to be my last VCR. I no longer use it to record
>>shows as that task has been taken over by a PC running digital recorder
>>software.


>IMHO it ismuch easier just to put a tape in a VCR and record thanto
>turn PC on and capture, then record on DVD or whatever ...

**** NO! That box I have setup records over 25 programs, and keeps them
grouped together. With a VCR, everything is slapped together and you have
to rewind show after show after show after show trying to find the recording
you want. It can also record two shows simultaniously, or record one and
allow tivo-style viewing of another.

The difference is like going from a computer that uses cassettes to store
programs, to one that uses a hard drive.


>Also, some of tapes I have are odler than 15 years and still are in
>perfect contidition (no dropouts, color problems and wven stereo
>signal is perfect) - try that with DVD-R's that are currently
>available ...

 
Reply With Quote
 
W. Orr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:55:30 -0400, Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Black
>Locust <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The fun thing is you can now laugh at them
>> for VHSing it in the year 2004. Tell them 1984 called and they want
>> their VCR back, etc. If they're going to be losers stuck in the past,
>> you might as well make them feel like it as well.

>
>I'll be keeping my two vcrs for some time to come, as they're the only
>way I can watch the tapes I don't want to re-purchace (or are still not
>avalible on dvd). Plus, I can't justify buying a dvd burner


I've noticed a sad trend ever since I got a DVD player: I actually
watch LESS movies than I used to. I used to watch about 5 movies a
week on video (on top of what I was seeing at the theatre). Now I'm
down to renting some once every month on DVD. I'm sure there could be
other environmental factors to consider (different job and better
Internet connection eat away free time, loss of 3 or 4 local video
stores in the last 5 years eat away variety, and so on) but I used to
go to the video store and rent just about anything. But now if I
can't find it on DVD, I just don't bother trying to rent it. There
have been exceptions to this, however. I rented a few things recently
on VHS, but that was because they weren't locally available on DVD.

What's made this even more a pain in the arse is that in the last
month or so I feel like I'm going through a nostalgia trip for older
movies but all the video stores in our region have long since thinned
out their inventory of such titles to make way for new movies and
DVDs, and they aren't bringing in DVDs of the old VHS stuff to make up
for their loss.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
On 4/28/2004 11:20:17 PM, Arminio Grgic wrote:

> IMHO it ismuch easier just to put a tape in a VCR and record thanto
> turn PC on and capture, then record on DVD or whatever ...
> Also, some of tapes I have are odler than 15 years and still are in
> perfect contidition (no dropouts, color problems and wven stereo
> signal is perfect) - try that with DVD-R's that are currently
> available ...


There are 15 year-old DVD-Rs?
--
"I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish!
Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks.
This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizin', down you go."

Now playing: "Grand Funk Railroad - Please Don't Worry"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian The Demolition Man Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
That's it Eric R. I'm sick and tired of this crap!
Now someone hit my music....
> Yeah, and they were also the first retailer to try to destroy DVD
> (with their failed "divx" abomination). Nothing they do will ever make
> up for that.


So you mean to tell me that if CC is the first to jump on board
for whatever HD-DVD format is coming out that still won't make
it up to you?

Trust me, I'm fully aware of what happened with DivX (aka LameX).
Big mistake by CC, but they learned from it. Time to let the past
go pal.

--
Demolition Man


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
On 4/29/2004 11:27:28 AM, Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

> That's it Eric R. I'm sick and tired of this crap!
> Now someone hit my music....
>> Yeah, and they were also the first retailer to try to destroy DVD
>> (with their failed "divx" abomination). Nothing they do will ever make
>> up for that.

>
> So you mean to tell me that if CC is the first to jump on board
> for whatever HD-DVD format is coming out that still won't make
> it up to you?
>
> Trust me, I'm fully aware of what happened with DivX (aka LameX).
> Big mistake by CC, but they learned from it. Time to let the past
> go pal.


It was a poor business decision, not a poor moral decision, as many are
wont to believe. Hell, if I can save $1 on a DVD at Circuit City, I'll
use them. I see nothing to gain by holding a grudge simply because they
supported a format I didn't like.
--
"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door.
You're the one that has to walk through it."

Now playing: "Chris Squire - Safe (Canon Song)"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:20:17 GMT, Arminio Grgic <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote:
> >>My current VCR is going to be my last VCR. I no longer use it to record
> >>shows as that task has been taken over by a PC running digital recorder
> >>software.

>
> >IMHO it ismuch easier just to put a tape in a VCR and record thanto
> >turn PC on and capture, then record on DVD or whatever ...

> **** NO! That box I have setup records over 25 programs, and keeps them
> grouped together. With a VCR, everything is slapped together and you

have
> to rewind show after show after show after show trying to find the

recording
> you want. It can also record two shows simultaniously, or record one and
> allow tivo-style viewing of another.
>

Just like one did with audio tapes, you make a paper index of tape counter
values (or time counter values if your player doesn't use 0000 - 9999),
store it with the tape in the box, and then you only need to use the Rew. or
FF. button to reach that counter number.

And one advantage of recording to VHS instead of DVD is universal
compatibilty with other VHS VCR's or VCP's (video cassette players)--only a
tracking adjustment may be required. Plus, a damaged VHS tape will still
play continously--with the damaged parts of the tape showing those audio and
video defects, of couse. Furthermore, VHS tapes tend to play equally well in
the cheaper VHS players as they do the more expensive VHS players--picture
quality may vary, but the tape still plays. Finally, it doesn't matter
whether the brand of VHS tape is Fuji, Scotch, TDK, Maxell, or whatever
other brand a store has in stock... the tape will still record on a VCR and
will still play back on a VCR or VCP.

In contrast, DVD is still buggy! It still has playback issues with playback
certain players. Both the recordable DVD's and pressed DVD's still have
isolated issues with "disc rot" depending on the brand name or production
studio due to cost cutting in the manufacturing process. There are four disc
"standards": DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM! Some players cannot play
back all those formats. Also, the cheaper players are also showing playback
errors if the disc surface has even a small fingerprint or scratch, even if
the disc internals are "good". And of course, a "damaged" DVD (depending on
what the specific player sees as damage) will chapter skip, scene repeat,
hang, cause the player to report the disc is invalid, etc. In summary, DVD's
don't always reliably "play through" the errors like a VHS tape does. It's a
serious defect in the technology, and a lesson obviously not learned from
similar playback issues with the CD format of digital laser optical disc.

Others may vary. All this is IMHO.

[snip...]

 
Reply With Quote
 
luminos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004

"Eric R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<dLWjc.13979$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net>...
>
> > You need a TiVo.

>
> I still use a VCR to tape TV shows. There is really no point in buying
> a Tivo for me, because my cable sucks so bad that the improved quality
> wouldn't make any difference anyway.


You don't really know what the advantage of Tivo is, do you?


 
Reply With Quote
 
TCS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2004
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:39:17 -0700, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:20:17 GMT, Arminio Grgic <(E-Mail Removed)>

>wrote:
>> >>My current VCR is going to be my last VCR. I no longer use it to record
>> >>shows as that task has been taken over by a PC running digital recorder
>> >>software.

>>
>> >IMHO it ismuch easier just to put a tape in a VCR and record thanto
>> >turn PC on and capture, then record on DVD or whatever ...

>> **** NO! That box I have setup records over 25 programs, and keeps them
>> grouped together. With a VCR, everything is slapped together and you

>have
>> to rewind show after show after show after show trying to find the

>recording
>> you want. It can also record two shows simultaniously, or record one and
>> allow tivo-style viewing of another.
>>

>Just like one did with audio tapes, you make a paper index of tape counter
>values (or time counter values if your player doesn't use 0000 - 9999),
>store it with the tape in the box, and then you only need to use the Rew. or
>FF. button to reach that counter number.


>And one advantage of recording to VHS instead of DVD is universal
>compatibilty with other VHS VCR's or VCP's (video cassette players)--only a
>tracking adjustment may be required. Plus, a damaged VHS tape will still
>play continously--with the damaged parts of the tape showing those audio and
>video defects, of couse. Furthermore, VHS tapes tend to play equally well in
>the cheaper VHS players as they do the more expensive VHS players--picture
>quality may vary, but the tape still plays. Finally, it doesn't matter
>whether the brand of VHS tape is Fuji, Scotch, TDK, Maxell, or whatever
>other brand a store has in stock... the tape will still record on a VCR and
>will still play back on a VCR or VCP.


>In contrast, DVD is still buggy! It still has playback issues with playback
>certain players. Both the recordable DVD's and pressed DVD's still have
>isolated issues with "disc rot" depending on the brand name or production
>studio due to cost cutting in the manufacturing process. There are four disc
>"standards": DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM! Some players cannot play
>back all those formats. Also, the cheaper players are also showing playback
>errors if the disc surface has even a small fingerprint or scratch, even if
>the disc internals are "good". And of course, a "damaged" DVD (depending on
>what the specific player sees as damage) will chapter skip, scene repeat,
>hang, cause the player to report the disc is invalid, etc. In summary, DVD's
>don't always reliably "play through" the errors like a VHS tape does. It's a
>serious defect in the technology, and a lesson obviously not learned from
>similar playback issues with the CD format of digital laser optical disc.


>Others may vary. All this is IMHO.


I'm talking about a HD recorder, not a DVD recorder.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Being kicked off every 5 min... =?Utf-8?B?dGhlIGJyYWQ=?= Wireless Networking 1 08-08-2004 08:51 PM
OT: You kicked my dog!!! Brian Boon [US-DDS Testing] MCSE 4 08-23-2003 03:09 AM
OT: You kicked my dog!!! Brian Boon [US-DDS Testing] MCSD 4 08-23-2003 03:09 AM
Re: You kicked my dog!!! Andy Foster MCSE 0 08-22-2003 10:51 AM



Advertisments