Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD's finally kicked VHS's ass

DVD's finally kicked VHS's ass

GMAN

In article <290420042158292629%(E-Mail Removed)>, Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <409000c6$0$28917$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Michael Black wrote:
>>
>> > I've never had a VCR, and just got a DVD player last fall. In getting
>> > into the stores to look at the DVDs, I keep seeing video cassettes
>> > that I've never given thought to. Some of them are outright steals
>> > compared to the same movie on DVD. My take is that the price is low
>> > because the stores want to get rid of them.
>> >
>> > It tempts me to buy a VCR right now, so I can buy things like "Almost
>> > Famous" for five dolalrs.

>> If, for whatever reason, you've never owned a VCR, you will NEVER
>> understand the appeal of DVD:
>>
>> "I mean, when I finish the tape...I can *rewind* it all the way back to
>> the beginning!--How cool is that? And no matter how many times I see
>> the movie, the same five minutes of previews will always be on at the
>> beginning--It's kind of fun to look back!"
>>

>Then again, I wish the DVD specs had inculded the ability for the
>player to remember where you left off watching a disc. Tapes remember
>where you stopped even days later

WTH are re you talking about, most DVD players will resume exactly where you
left off.

GMAN

In article <c6tj4u$gu2$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:300420040800378825%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)2go.com>, Justin
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>getting

>low

>"Almost

>> > All the DVD players in my house remember where it was

>> The three I've had never did once I took the disc out of the player,
>> but maybe I've just been unlucky.

>I think these people are misunderstanding you...no player remembers where
>you were at on a disc once you take it out of the player.
>
>Mike

PIONEER 626D

GMAN

In article <XaTjc.38857$cF6.1698919@attbi_s04>, Marci <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have no intention of getting rid of my VCR. Yes, I only buy movies on
>DVD to view, but I have a couple of shows that I record daily to watch
>when I have the time. I watch 'em, rewind 'em, and record over them the
>next day. Sure the quality sucks, but I'm only watching it once. When
>the tape dies, I put in another and I'm good to go for another whirl.

You are a prime candidate for a TIVO!!!

>I'd never give up my DVDs though! Almost all the movies I had on tape
>have been replaced with DVD. I'd never buy a VHS tape again. There are
>a few, however, that aren't available on DVD so I have to have a VCR to
>watch them.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Eric R.) wrote:
>"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>> You don't really know what the advantage of Tivo is, do you?

>Recording broadcasts with a time delay and a program guide (which
>might be useful, providing I can customize it to my apartment
>complex's crappy cable lineup). Am I missing something?
>
>I mean, that would be nice, but hardly worth dropping a lot of coin
>for. If I had a better quality cable system that let me benefit from
>Tivo's improved resolution (I presume it records at somewhere between
>VHS and DVD quality), I would certainly buy one. But, as it is, I just
>don't see how it would be worth it for me.
>
>-Eric

You dont get it, it can learn your viewing habits and suggest stuff thats
going to come on that you might like. You can also set it to record either say
all "Simpsons" episodes for the entire season or just new episodes and walk
away. When you want to sit down and watch the episodes, yuu may have 10-15
ready to watch.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, TCS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>And a car generally costs more than a bicycle. *shrug*

>>A bike helps burn the fat, a car doesn't. ^_^ And I don't have to
>>worry about $2+ per gallon for the bike.

>>Ok pointless subject. I do want to have TiVo but as long as my
>>current VCR still works, I don't plan to switch yet. I still have
>>many VHS that aren't available on DVD yet (Yellowbeard? Thundercats
>>shows? Nelvamations?)

>hard drive video recorders are best at time shifting. There's a hell of a lot
>of decent programming tucked away in the wee hours of the day. Program it to
>record iffy stuff like home remodeling shows and perhaps one show in 10 will
>be worth watching. Let it record all of them. Hard drive space is cheap.
>The unit I have (homebuilt pc/linux/mythtv) has a 160GB drive and records at
>..6GB/hr. I'd much rather have it do the cataloging than **** around with
>135 tapes, or 45 tapes recorded in crappy EP. Plus it automatically deletes
>old episodes (or not) per my settings.

Hell, just being able to record 2 programs on different channels at the same
time while watching a recorded 3rd show is priceless to me with my DirecTivo
box!!!! and with the DirecTivo box, it records the actual bitstream from the
satelite, its not compressing to mpeg on the fly like the standalone TIVO
does, and it is subsidized by DirecTV so the cost for the service is only $5 a
month.

GMAN

In article <408fdae8$0$28917$(E-Mail Removed)>, Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>DigitalDeude wrote:
>
>> http://newsobserver.com/business/sto...-3152506c.html
>>
>> Closing credits roll for VHS
>>
>> By MARK MINTON, Staff Writer
>>
>> For movie buffs still trying to light up their home TV screens with a
>> VCR, the movie industry is fast unspooling the final scene: the big
>> kiss-off.
>>
>> More than 95 percent of American households with television sets own a
>> VCR. That's nearly twice as many as own a DVD player. But finding a
>> movie for a VCR is becoming a mystery for the millions of consumers who
>> haven't made the switch.

>Think that's hard?--Try finding a VCR:
>The one I'd had for seven years quit on me last month, so had to go to
>Best Buy (because a Tivo won't play old tapes)...
>
>Simply put, there ARE no VCR's on the shelf--Unless you count six or
>seven different brands of cheesy entry-level VCR/DVD combos.
>Out of four dedicated VCR's, picked up a Sony for $89....Try doing
>*that* in 1992. 0_0
>
>Derek Janssen
>(E-Mail Removed)

You would have been better off repairing that mid 90's vcvr, than to buy that
new elcheapo plastic crap.

A refurbed or repaired 80's to mid 90's vcr of good build , will still
outperform almost all plastic walmart crap.

Impmon

On Fri, 07 May 2004 06:25:53 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

>WTH are re you talking about, most DVD players will resume exactly where you
>left off.

Yes but most only remembers if you left the DVD in the drive. Once
it's taken out, it always start back from the begining.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Mark Jones

"Impmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 06:25:53 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
>
> >WTH are re you talking about, most DVD players will resume exactly where

you
> >left off.

> Yes but most only remembers if you left the DVD in the drive. Once
> it's taken out, it always start back from the begining.

Mine can remember up to 6 DVDs even if they have been taken out
of the player.

Richard C.

"Black Locust" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Yeah, where's the versatility in a VHS deck? It would have been nice
if
: they had at least designed some VHS players that would also play
Betamax
: tapes.
:
=======================
Have you seen a Betamax tape?
Do you realize the multiple differences between it and VHS?
========================

Richard C.

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
: news:4097ea78$0$77118$(E-Mail Removed) m...
: > "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > : "Richard C." <post-age @spamcop.net> wrote in message
: > : news:40979f98$0$77110$(E-Mail Removed) m...
: > : > "Marci" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > : > news:XaTjc.38857$cF6.1698919@attbi_s04...
: > : > : I have no intention of getting rid of my VCR. Yes, I only buy
: > movies
: > : > on
: > : > : DVD to view, but I have a couple of shows that I record daily
: > watch
: > : > : when I have the time. I watch 'em, rewind 'em, and record
over
: > them
: > : > the
: > : > : next day. Sure the quality sucks, but I'm only watching it
once.
: > : > When
: > : > : the tape dies, I put in another and I'm good to go for another
: > whirl.
: > : >
: > : > ======================
: > : > A Panasonic DVD Recorder with Hard Disc would do the same thing
with
: > : > better quality.
: > : > ======================
: > :
: > : What about portability? Can this device export recordings to DVD
that
: > will
: > : play in any player?
: > :
: > Yes.
: >
: Excellent news, thanks.
:
Make sure you get a Panasonic or one that does DVD-R. They play in
virtually everything.
Do NOT get one that does DVD+R. They do not play in all players.