Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New "Bride of Frankenstein" dvd vs previous dvd?

New "Bride of Frankenstein" dvd vs previous dvd?

TB

Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the new
Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

T.B.

Patrick Neve

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, TB wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the new
> Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

I'd like to know as well. At the very least I hope they were able to port
over the old MCA laserdisc transfer.

Actually, I'll be able to tell you in a day or two when it arrives, if
nobody has answered by then.

ML-78

> Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the
new
> Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

Yes, it is. It now has correct framing (not cropped as the old release)
and has been remastered.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10443

There has also been talk about sound improvements on "Frankenstein".

ML-78

TSKO

Wasn't there a scene that was cut out when ole Frank threw the little girl
into a lake and killed her? I seem to remember seeing something about this
some time ago. I honestly dont remember much of the movie...its been a
loonnng time. Anyways..is that scene put back in(or did it ever exist
anywhere besides my brain)?

"ML-78" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6o02i$745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the

> new
> > Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

> Yes, it is. It now has correct framing (not cropped as the old release)
> and has been remastered.
>
> http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10443
>
> There has also been talk about sound improvements on "Frankenstein".
>

> ML-78

Bill Coleman

That was from Frankenstein, not Bride of Frankenstein, and it's been put
back in the prints for quite some time...it was in the last DVD release.

Bill Coleman

==============

"TSKO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t%Pjc.425$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Wasn't there a scene that was cut out when ole Frank threw the little girl
> into a lake and killed her? I seem to remember seeing something about

this
> some time ago. I honestly dont remember much of the movie...its been a
> loonnng time. Anyways..is that scene put back in(or did it ever exist
> anywhere besides my brain)?
>

> "ML-78" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c6o02i$745$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the

> > new
> > > Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?

> > Yes, it is. It now has correct framing (not cropped as the old release)
> > and has been remastered.
> >
> > http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10443
> >
> > There has also been talk about sound improvements on "Frankenstein".
> >

> > ML-78

Joe DiBasi

Patrick Neve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) oregon.edu>...
> I'd like to know as well. At the very least I hope they were able to port
> over the old MCA laserdisc transfer.
>
> Actually, I'll be able to tell you in a day or two when it arrives, if
> nobody has answered by then.

Let us know. Since the laserdisc was superior to the original DVD
release, I'd be curious to know how much of a difference the new
remaster makes, if any.

One-Shot Scot

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me if the transfer of "Bride of Frankenstein" on the
> new Legacy collection is improved over the previous dvd release?
>
> T.B.

It's a mixed bag. Using two players, I loaded up both Universal DVD
versions of _Bride of Frankenstein_ and switched between them.

The new _Bride of Frankenstein_ image is now centered, and in most
scenes, contains approximately 20% more picture because the edges of the
picture are no longer cut off. The original version had lots of missing
picture information due to its being off center and magnified.

The original _Bride of Frankenstein_ picture was virtually unacceptable
due to its poor video quality. Although the original version is sharper
than the new one, this sharpness comes at the expense of being
accompanied by lots of video noise, snow and other distracting
artifacts. Now, after being run through a video sanitizer, _Bride of
Frankenstein_ has a highly-polished, "Citizen Kane" look. The new image
is now virtually free of distracting artifacts, but at the expense of
picture sharpness. Black level, on the other hand, is excellent.

The audio level of the new _Bride of Frankenstein_ is much lower than
that of the original version. This doesn't seem to present a problem,
but you will need to turn up the volume quite a bit more on the new DVD.
The sound quality of the two versions seems to be about the same, once
the volume is equalized.

The main attraction to the new _Bride of Frankenstein_ is its price.
While all of the individual DVDs in the original Frankenstein series
were priced at $25 each, I found all three Universal Monster box sets
selling at Wal-Mart for $14.77 each.

Bottom line: The new _Bride of Frankenstein_ -- while not as good as it
could be -- is superior to the original version. If the digital
sanitation had been turned down a notch and the volume turned up a
notch, the new disk would be nearly perfect. The low price of the new
version is its main attraction.

drsd2kill

you are confused - that scene you mention was in FRANKENSTEIN, not its sequel.
It was restored to the film years ago and has been on every video edition since
the late 80's