Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Python's Meaning of Life - fixed?

Python's Meaning of Life - fixed?

Video Flyer

This is one of the movies I've been holding off on buying because I saw so
many complaints about how something was wrong with. If the problem -
whatever it was - has been fixed, how can I be certain when I purchase a
copy that I'm getting the corrected copy?

Thanks!

Neal

RWH

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:28:46 GMT, Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is one of the movies I've been holding off on buying because I saw so
>many complaints about how something was wrong with. If the problem -
>whatever it was - has been fixed, how can I be certain when I purchase a
>copy that I'm getting the corrected copy?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Neal

I've owned this DVD for years and have played it in at least three
different players and I've never encountered a problem.

I just purchased a new JVC 7-disc DVD changer ($30!) but I haven't yet
tried it in this one.

anon

He's referring to the recent SE of TMOL. Disc one, when played on a
progressive player, has horibble
video problems. I checked out a few stores in my area, and I couldn't find
any evidence of any fixed copies.
The fixed discs you send for from Universal have "V2" printed on the outside
edge of the disk after the copywright
information. Either you can have someone at the store open it for you, or
buy it and check for yourself. If it isn't
V2, call the 1800 number, they'll send you an envelope to mail back disc 1.
It took about 10 days overall for me.
If you need the number, just ask.

Brad

"RWH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news6Tjc.4833$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:28:46 GMT, Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >This is one of the movies I've been holding off on buying because I saw

so
> >many complaints about how something was wrong with. If the problem -
> >whatever it was - has been fixed, how can I be certain when I purchase a
> >copy that I'm getting the corrected copy?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Neal

> I've owned this DVD for years and have played it in at least three
> different players and I've never encountered a problem.
>
> I just purchased a new JVC 7-disc DVD changer ($30!) but I haven't yet
> tried it in this one.

Goro

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<TMUjc.7309$Rd4.603455@attbi_s51>...
> He's referring to the recent SE of TMOL. Disc one, when played on a
> progressive player, has horibble
> video problems. I checked out a few stores in my area, and I couldn't find
> any evidence of any fixed copies.
> The fixed discs you send for from Universal have "V2" printed on the outside
> edge of the disk after the copywright
> information. Either you can have someone at the store open it for you, or
> buy it and check for yourself. If it isn't
> V2, call the 1800 number, they'll send you an envelope to mail back disc 1.
> It took about 10 days overall for me.
> If you need the number, just ask.
>
> Brad

i thot the "fixed" discs sent from Universal still had the mis-set
progressive flag and therefore were identical to the botched ones.
Have they remedied this?

Douglas Bailey

Goro wrote:
> i thot the "fixed" discs sent from Universal still had the mis-set
> progressive flag and therefore were identical to the botched ones.
> Have they remedied this?

The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error, but
Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which they
sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd already
exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.

Unfortunately, the not-really-corrected second pressing and the
actually-corrected third pressing are *both* labelled "V2", so even that
label doesn't guarantee that you have a properly-flagged disc. But you can
tell the difference in either of two ways, according to discussion in the
Home Theater Forum:

(1) Feel the silkscreen art on the top side of Disc One. The corrected "V2"
disc has smooth silkscreening, where the original disc and the second
pressing (faulty "V2") disc had raised/textured silkscreening. (Disc Two
still has textured art, so you can compare the surfaces of the two discs.)

(2) Using a DVD-ROM drive, check the dates on the files in the Disc One
VIDEO_TS folder. The original disc and the faulty "V2" both have files
dated 15 July 2003: the corrected "V2" disc has files dated 13 October
2003.

Source: HTF thread at
<http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=168303>

Admittedly, the second of these tests isn't too practical for checking in a
store. But the silkscreen test should be sufficient to allow buyers to
check their purchases while they're still at the counter, and to return
them if they're the wrong version.

HTH,

doug

--
"Kiss the arse of Uncle Sam; oh, to be an Englishman..."
--Killing Joke

Joshua Zyber

"Douglas Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error,

but
> Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which

they
> sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd

already
> exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.

Why do people persist in using flag-reading DVD players when they really
ought to know better?

Morgan

Can you please post the 800 number?

Thanks!
Morgan

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> He's referring to the recent SE of TMOL. Disc one, when played on a
> progressive player, has horibble
> video problems. I checked out a few stores in my area, and I couldn't

find
> any evidence of any fixed copies.
> The fixed discs you send for from Universal have "V2" printed on the

outside
> edge of the disk after the copywright
> information. Either you can have someone at the store open it for you, or
> buy it and check for yourself. If it isn't
> V2, call the 1800 number, they'll send you an envelope to mail back disc

1.
> It took about 10 days overall for me.
> If you need the number, just ask.
>
> Brad
>
> "RWH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news6Tjc.4833$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:28:46 GMT, Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >This is one of the movies I've been holding off on buying because I saw

> so
> > >many complaints about how something was wrong with. If the problem -
> > >whatever it was - has been fixed, how can I be certain when I purchase

> > >copy that I'm getting the corrected copy?
> > >
> > >Thanks!
> > >
> > >Neal

> > I've owned this DVD for years and have played it in at least three
> > different players and I've never encountered a problem.
> >
> > I just purchased a new JVC 7-disc DVD changer ($30!) but I haven't yet
> > tried it in this one.

anon

1-800-433-4673

brad

"Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you please post the 800 number?
>
> Thanks!
> Morgan
>

> "anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > He's referring to the recent SE of TMOL. Disc one, when played on a
> > progressive player, has horibble
> > video problems. I checked out a few stores in my area, and I couldn't

> find
> > any evidence of any fixed copies.
> > The fixed discs you send for from Universal have "V2" printed on the

> outside
> > edge of the disk after the copywright
> > information. Either you can have someone at the store open it for you,

or
> > buy it and check for yourself. If it isn't
> > V2, call the 1800 number, they'll send you an envelope to mail back disc

> 1.
> > It took about 10 days overall for me.
> > If you need the number, just ask.
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > "RWH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news6Tjc.4833$(E-Mail Removed)...

saw
> > so

purchase

> > > I've owned this DVD for years and have played it in at least three
> > > different players and I've never encountered a problem.
> > >
> > > I just purchased a new JVC 7-disc DVD changer ($30!) but I haven't yet
> > > tried it in this one.

Video Flyer

On 4/29/04 11:12 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Douglas
Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Goro wrote:
>> i thot the "fixed" discs sent from Universal still had the mis-set
>> progressive flag and therefore were identical to the botched ones.
>> Have they remedied this?

> The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error, but
> Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which they
> sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd already
> exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.
>
> Unfortunately, the not-really-corrected second pressing and the
> actually-corrected third pressing are *both* labelled "V2", so even that
> label doesn't guarantee that you have a properly-flagged disc. But you can
> tell the difference in either of two ways, according to discussion in the
> Home Theater Forum:
>
> (1) Feel the silkscreen art on the top side of Disc One. The corrected "V2"
> disc has smooth silkscreening, where the original disc and the second
> pressing (faulty "V2") disc had raised/textured silkscreening. (Disc Two
> still has textured art, so you can compare the surfaces of the two discs.)
>
> (2) Using a DVD-ROM drive, check the dates on the files in the Disc One
> VIDEO_TS folder. The original disc and the faulty "V2" both have files
> dated 15 July 2003: the corrected "V2" disc has files dated 13 October
> 2003.
>
> Source: HTF thread at
> <http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=168303>
>
> Admittedly, the second of these tests isn't too practical for checking in a
> store. But the silkscreen test should be sufficient to allow buyers to
> check their purchases while they're still at the counter, and to return
> them if they're the wrong version.
>
> HTH,
>

> doug

Man, oh man. Thanks for the info!

I've never opened a disc in the store to check it and I've never seen anyone
else do that either. Have you actually done this? And, yeah, I know it's
dependent on the store and the particular employee and what kind of day
s/he's had but, in general, do you actually find that retail managers are
okay with this? I know they often won't let you return a disc later if they
see you've opened it....

Neal

Mike Kohary

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsSfkc.7555$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "Douglas Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The second (first "corrected") pressing still had the flagging error,

> but
> > Universal *did* finally correct things with a third pressing, which

> they
> > sent out for free (via second-day shipping) to those of us who'd

> already
> > exchanged our faulty original discs for the faulty second pressing.

> Why do people persist in using flag-reading DVD players when they really
> ought to know better?

Why ought they know better? I don't know what "flag-reading" is, and it
doesn't sound like common knowledge - care to explain?

Mike

Understanding search queries, semantics, and "Meaning" ...aren't weall looking for meaning? 5lvqbwl02@sneakemail.com Python 4 01-14-2009 02:28 PM
Meaning of life hmmm Computer Support 69 04-15-2004 07:56 PM
"The Meaning of Life" Problems with the transfer? The Magically Delicious Mr. H*** DVD Video 39 09-26-2003 02:55 PM
Meaning of Life picture problem Elliot Mantle DVD Video 4 09-04-2003 01:39 AM

Advertisments