Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Region 0 players and Region 1 Discs

Region 0 players and Region 1 Discs

Eric

I have read in a magazine of some sort that they are starting to make
some region 1 dvds unplayable on unlocked or region 0 players. Is this
true, and what movies so far have taken advantage of this "security
feature"?

Eric

erik

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have read in a magazine of some sort that they are starting to make
> some region 1 dvds unplayable on unlocked or region 0 players. Is this
> true, and what movies so far have taken advantage of this "security
> feature"?
>
> Eric

It's called RCE - Regional Coding Enhancement. Have a look at
http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

You need a player, where you can select region manually.

erik

Trevor S

"erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

<snip>

> You need a player, where you can select region manually.

This is a misnomer, my auto regio mod'd Pioneer plays RCE disks fine, you
simply need a player with a decent auto region mod. It works becuase RCE
so far is confined to R1 and the way a decent auto region mod works.

That being said, some auto region mods don't work properly but this
shortcoming can still can be overcome by inserting a non RCE R1 disc in the
player before inserting the RCE R1 disk.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Biz

Eric wrote:

> I have read in a magazine of some sort that they are starting to make
> some region 1 dvds unplayable on unlocked or region 0 players. Is this
> true, and what movies so far have taken advantage of this "security
> feature"?
>
> Eric

They are called RCE titles, and they are pretty muc h in R1 only. Many
region free hacks will not play them. If your player allows you to
manually choose the region, then you can set it to region 1 and those
RCE disks should play fine. Do a google search for RCE DVD and you
should find all the info you want to know.