Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Are you ****ed at paying $39.95 for special features?

Are you ****ed at paying $39.95 for special features?

Justin

Richard C. wrote on [Fri, 7 May 2004 09:34:47 -0700]:
> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c7fvfv$set$(E-Mail Removed)...
>: "Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>: news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>: > Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
>: > > But you see, a dedicated collector would never even consider this,
>: because
>: > > then they'd no longer have the original LD.
>: >
>: > Not all dedicated collectors are stupid. Some will be smart enough
>: > say to themselves "You know, in just a few more years, this baby
> will be
>: > about as usefull as a floppy disk for the CP/M operating system."
> :
>: I'm talking about pure collectors, people who don't much care how
> "useful"
>: an item is. They just want the item.
> :
>: Funny you should talk about floppies for CP/M, since I'm a collector
> of
>: vintage computer and video game systems. How "useful" is my Atari
> 2600,
>: really? Not very, but I love it anyway, and will always own one for
> myself.
>: I do have a few rare items that would not be easily or cheaply
> replaced, and
>: those items I wouldn't consider parting with under any circumstances.
> :
>: Mike
> :
> =============
> And mark should take a look on eBay at what floppies of AOL 1.0 sell
> for!

really? Hmmmm....

Mike Kohary

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Richard C. wrote on [Fri, 7 May 2004 09:34:47 -0700]:
> > "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c7fvfv$set$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >: "Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >: news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> >: > Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >: > > But you see, a dedicated collector would never even consider this,
> >: because
> >: > > then they'd no longer have the original LD.
> >: >
> >: > Not all dedicated collectors are stupid. Some will be smart enough
> >: > say to themselves "You know, in just a few more years, this baby
> > will be
> >: > about as usefull as a floppy disk for the CP/M operating system."
> > :
> >: I'm talking about pure collectors, people who don't much care how
> > "useful"
> >: an item is. They just want the item.
> > :
> >: Funny you should talk about floppies for CP/M, since I'm a collector
> > of
> >: vintage computer and video game systems. How "useful" is my Atari
> > 2600,
> >: really? Not very, but I love it anyway, and will always own one for
> > myself.
> >: I do have a few rare items that would not be easily or cheaply
> > replaced, and
> >: those items I wouldn't consider parting with under any circumstances.
> > :
> >: Mike
> > :
> > =============
> > And mark should take a look on eBay at what floppies of AOL 1.0 sell
> > for!

> really? Hmmmm....

Yup, really. Other goodies on Ebay: EA's original M.U.L.E. on floppy disk
for Atari 8-bit computers ($200 and up), Bounty Bob Strikes Back cartridge
for Atari computers (ditto), Milton Bradley's Dark Tower electronic board
game ($300 and up in good and complete condition)...even a pure board game
like Games Workshop's Talisman goes for over $250 in good and complete
condition (and the expansions fetch $100-200 each).

Some of that stuff sells even when it's not verified to be working. A lot
of people will pay just to own the thing itself, whether it works or not.
Of course, it's most valuable when confirmed in working order.

Mike

Mark Spatny

Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Funny you should talk about floppies for CP/M, since I'm a collector of
> vintage computer and video game systems. How "useful" is my Atari 2600,
> really? Not very, but I love it anyway, and will always own one for myself.
> I do have a few rare items that would not be easily or cheaply replaced, and
> those items I wouldn't consider parting with under any circumstances.

Really? Then you'd love the original 1984 128K Mac that is sitting in my
closet taking up valuable real estate. I keep meaning to gut the
electronics and turn it into a terrarium, but never get around to it.

Mike Kohary

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Funny you should talk about floppies for CP/M, since I'm a collector of
> > vintage computer and video game systems. How "useful" is my Atari 2600,
> > really? Not very, but I love it anyway, and will always own one for

myself.
> > I do have a few rare items that would not be easily or cheaply replaced,

and
> > those items I wouldn't consider parting with under any circumstances.

> Really? Then you'd love the original 1984 128K Mac that is sitting in my
> closet taking up valuable real estate. I keep meaning to gut the
> electronics and turn it into a terrarium, but never get around to it.

There you go! I'm actually not an Apple guy myself, but I bet some
other collectors would like a machine like that. Don't know if that's rare
or not, so I don't know if it would have any value...

Mike

Invid Fan

In article <c7il7p$dmk$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> > Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > Funny you should talk about floppies for CP/M, since I'm a collector of
> > > vintage computer and video game systems. How "useful" is my Atari 2600,
> > > really? Not very, but I love it anyway, and will always own one for

> myself.
> > > I do have a few rare items that would not be easily or cheaply replaced,

> and
> > > those items I wouldn't consider parting with under any circumstances.

> > Really? Then you'd love the original 1984 128K Mac that is sitting in my
> > closet taking up valuable real estate. I keep meaning to gut the
> > electronics and turn it into a terrarium, but never get around to it.

> There you go! I'm actually not an Apple guy myself, but I bet some
> other collectors would like a machine like that. Don't know if that's rare
> or not, so I don't know if it would have any value...

They have value I picked up a good collection through ebay, in the
days before it was all comercial sellers. Old Apple //, //e, //c with
LCD screen (always wanted that, as a teen ^_^), Coleco Adam, etc. I
have an original 128k mac with original box and software, think I blew
a little under $100 on it. It's fun to have. Gotta think about
splurging for a working Vectrex system...

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Mark Spatny

Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Really? Then you'd love the original 1984 128K Mac that is sitting in my
> > closet taking up valuable real estate. I keep meaning to gut the
> > electronics and turn it into a terrarium, but never get around to it.

> There you go! I'm actually not an Apple guy myself, but I bet some
> other collectors would like a machine like that. Don't know if that's rare
> or not, so I don't know if it would have any value...

Yeah, but see, I don't have that old Mac because I was "collecting" it.
I have it because I didn't sell it when it was still worth $750 -
$1,000, like I should have, and now I have this boat anchor that just
takes up space.

Mike Kohary

On Sat, 08 May 2004 23:18:31 GMT, Mark Spatny
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > Really? Then you'd love the original 1984 128K Mac that is sitting in my
>> > closet taking up valuable real estate. I keep meaning to gut the
>> > electronics and turn it into a terrarium, but never get around to it.

>> There you go! I'm actually not an Apple guy myself, but I bet some
>> other collectors would like a machine like that. Don't know if that's rare
>> or not, so I don't know if it would have any value...

>Yeah, but see, I don't have that old Mac because I was "collecting" it.
>I have it because I didn't sell it when it was still worth $750 -
>$1,000, like I should have, and now I have this boat anchor that just
>takes up space.

I'll take it off your hands for $10.

Mike
--

"Worry is like interest paid | Mike Kohary
in advance on a debt that |

Karma Photography http://www.kohary.com/photography

Mark Spatny

Mike Kohary,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'll take it off your hands for $10.

Naw, it's still worth more than that for me just for its potential as a
terrarium or aquarium.