Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Master and Commander DVD won't play

Master and Commander DVD won't play

Mike Kohary

"Jim Nason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for all the suggestions. My Panasonic player is from around 1999,

and
> cost nearly $400.00 at the time. I do not believe it is a Region-Free

unit.
> I play only Region 1 commercial discs, except for the occasional Region 0
> disc, such as Black Sunday (1960). This the first disc that would not play
> or even show the menu. Yes, I did try it on my DVD-ROM on the computer,

and
> it plays, but with a jittery picture and lots of crackling in the audio.

Sounds like a bad disc, then. Just exchange it and see if you have better
luck with a new copy.

And ignore the guy who said to consider yourself lucky - it's a great movie.

Mike

JMKAUFFMAN

I just myself had this same message on the Fox Studio Classics release of "Song
of Bernadette." I had never seen it before, either. In my case, this DVD
wouldn't even read on my PC--it was like there was nothing in the drive. Even
the one I got in exchange seems to be very slow in loading, I'm wondering if
there was a product-wide mastering error somewhere.

Nick Medrano

"Jim Nason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Can anyone help with this curious problem?
>
> I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday at
> Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
> message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
> disc."

Hey Jim,
I got the SAME message on my Panasonic DVD player that is from 1999.
Let me know if you return it and are able to play another one. I'd
return mine, but it's from NETFLIX and I don't think a new one will
solve the problem.

Stayin' in the loop...

David Nott

> "Jim Nason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
> >
> > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD yesterday at
> > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I got a
> > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert another
> > disc."

> Jim,
> I have had the same problem. I bought the DVD at Best Buy on April 20 and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the same time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy won't give me a refund.

My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
I often get the error message "unknown file format".

Biz

"David Nott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "Jim Nason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Can anyone help with this curious problem?
> > >
> > > I bought the single sisk "Master and Commander" widescreen DVD

yesterday at
> > > Wal-Mart. When I attempted to play it on my Panasonic DVD player, I

got a
> > > message saying, "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert

another
> > > disc."

> > Jim,
> > I have had the same problem. I bought the DVD at Best Buy on April 20

and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the same
time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy won't
give me a refund.
> My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
> I often get the error message "unknown file format".

From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other players
besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal policy on
open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't like
the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might think
of.

David Nott

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<6mNoc.646$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "David Nott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Jim,
> > > I have had the same problem. I bought the DVD at Best Buy on April 20

> and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the same
> time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
> have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy won't
> give me a refund.
> > My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
> > I often get the error message "unknown file format".

> From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other players
> besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal policy on
> open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't like
> the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
> pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
> responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
> Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might think
> of.

On May 13 I went back to Best Buy and again replaced the Master and
Commander DVD. This 4th disk was playable so the store must have
gotten a new shipment of DVDs that weren't off-spec.
The retailer is NOT out of the loop and is bound by an implicit
"warranty of merchantability". If this were not so you could not get a
chargeback on your credit card or sue a merchant in small claims
court. The warranty of merchantability allows the merchant to replace
the defective product with a nondefective product but if the merchant
won't or can't replace the product you are entitled to a refund. A
product is defective when you reasonably expect it to meet your use
and it fails to do so. Thus if your DVD player can play the 50 DVDs
you have and you buy a DVD which doesn't play then legally the DVD is
defective.
I have a dispute with a retailer about once a year and have always
gotten a chargeback on my credit card so I have never had to sue a
merchant. When dealing with defective products you should state that
the merchant is in violation of the warranty of merchantability.

Biz

"David Nott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<6mNoc.646$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "David Nott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

20
> > and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the

same
> > time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
> > have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy

won't
> > give me a refund.
> > > My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
> > > I often get the error message "unknown file format".

> > From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other

players
> > besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal

policy on
> > open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't

like
> > the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
> > pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
> > responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
> > Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might

think
> > of.

> On May 13 I went back to Best Buy and again replaced the Master and
> Commander DVD. This 4th disk was playable so the store must have
> gotten a new shipment of DVDs that weren't off-spec.
> The retailer is NOT out of the loop and is bound by an implicit
> "warranty of merchantability". If this were not so you could not get a
> chargeback on your credit card or sue a merchant in small claims
> court. The warranty of merchantability allows the merchant to replace
> the defective product with a nondefective product but if the merchant
> won't or can't replace the product you are entitled to a refund. A
> product is defective when you reasonably expect it to meet your use
> and it fails to do so. Thus if your DVD player can play the 50 DVDs
> you have and you buy a DVD which doesn't play then legally the DVD is
> defective.
> I have a dispute with a retailer about once a year and have always
> gotten a chargeback on my credit card so I have never had to sue a
> merchant. When dealing with defective products you should state that
> the merchant is in violation of the warranty of merchantability.

Stay away from me you anal retentive freak. And get a friggin clue.

Biz

"David Nott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<6mNoc.646$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "David Nott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

20
> > and have had the DVD replaced twice and none of the 3 will play. At the

same
> > time I tried 7 other dual layer DVDs and they all played flawlessly. Nor
> > have any other DVDs ever given me any trouble. Despite this Best Buy

won't
> > give me a refund.
> > > My system is a computer using the Pioneer DVD-116 DVD-ROM drive and
> > > I often get the error message "unknown file format".

> > From your post it seems you have yet to try the disk on any other

players
> > besides your PC? Just like pc software, the pretty much universal

policy on
> > open dvds is exchange for same title only if defective. If you don't

like
> > the policy, don't buy the products. IF it turns out there were bad
> > pressings of M & C, the retailer is out of the loop, and it is the
> > responsibility of the manufacturer to replace the disks. Similar to the
> > Back To The Future widescreen set, or any others that someone might

think
> > of.

> On May 13 I went back to Best Buy and again replaced the Master and
> Commander DVD. This 4th disk was playable so the store must have
> gotten a new shipment of DVDs that weren't off-spec.
> The retailer is NOT out of the loop and is bound by an implicit
> "warranty of merchantability". If this were not so you could not get a
> chargeback on your credit card or sue a merchant in small claims
> court. The warranty of merchantability allows the merchant to replace
> the defective product with a nondefective product but if the merchant
> won't or can't replace the product you are entitled to a refund. A
> product is defective when you reasonably expect it to meet your use
> and it fails to do so. Thus if your DVD player can play the 50 DVDs
> you have and you buy a DVD which doesn't play then legally the DVD is
> defective.
> I have a dispute with a retailer about once a year and have always
> gotten a chargeback on my credit card so I have never had to sue a
> merchant. When dealing with defective products you should state that
> the merchant is in violation of the warranty of merchantability.

Let me correct my mistakes from my last reply to you.

BB or any other DVD retailer have no control of the Quality in manufacturing
or authoring of the dvds they get. The only thing they can do is exchange
it for another copy. If in fact, MAster and Commander turns out to have bad
pressings or batches out there, BB has no responsibility for that, they
arent making the things, they are the reseller only. Your beef has to be
taken up with whoever released the title. As long as BB is replacing the
titles you claim to be defective, they are out of it. IF you own 50 DVDs,
you SHOULD already know that not every disk will play on every player,
especially some pc drives and software player combinations.

Since I have not seen but one ot two other people claiming M&C was bad from
the store,
believe me, there would be posts all over the place if they were, the only
logical explanation is your equipment.

WHen dealing with defective products, you exchange them for replacements
under the returns/exchange policy of the reseller.
BB is doing EXACTLY what their policy is setup to do.