Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD-Recorder that supports Closed Captions?

DVD-Recorder that supports Closed Captions?

Paul Rubin

Hello all. Does anyone know of a good DVD Recorder for home viewing
through a TV that supports Closed Captions both in viewing and
recording? I recently purchased a Pioneer DVD-R 510H-S which the
customer support department told me would support Closed Captions,
however the unit garbles the CC's. I have sent it in for repair and
they flashed the firmware, however it does the exact same thing. Any
signal that passes through the unit through any set of inputs and
outputs gets garbled closed captions. I have had several VCR's in the
same position and I've never had this problem before.

Please let me know if you have a suggestion, perhaps even one with an
onboard HDD for recording?

Sincerely,
Paul Rubin

Just a friend

"Paul Rubin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| Hello all. Does anyone know of a good DVD Recorder for home viewing
| through a TV that supports Closed Captions both in viewing and
| recording? I recently purchased a Pioneer DVD-R 510H-S which the
| customer support department told me would support Closed Captions,
| however the unit garbles the CC's. I have sent it in for repair and
| they flashed the firmware, however it does the exact same thing. Any
| signal that passes through the unit through any set of inputs and
| outputs gets garbled closed captions. I have had several VCR's in the
| same position and I've never had this problem before.
|
| Please let me know if you have a suggestion, perhaps even one with an
| onboard HDD for recording?

I have a Philips DVDR-985 and it records and plays CC just fine.

JaF

Waterperson77

A cheap Cyberhome dvd recorder played back closed captioned fine. It's not the
player that does it though. It's the tv. Just make a recording normally
(with closed captioned on the tv turned OFF). Then when the closed captions on
the tv are turned ON, the disc should play back fine with non-garbled closed
captions (unless it's a weak tv signal from a tv station).

I think I know what your problem is. I have sen several closed-caption-capable
vcr's saying that if the recordings are made with the closed captioned on,
they'll be garbled when played back.

So I assume you're trying to record the programs with the closed captions
turned on.

Paul Rubin

Thanks for your reply. Actually I have cable TV feed passing through
the DVD-R machine and then output to the TV, WITHOUT recording at all!
Just having the signal passing through the Pioneer causes the CC's to
become garbled!

Sincerely,
Paul Rubin
(E-Mail Removed)