Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS TREAT FOR YOUR COMPUTER

Re: WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS TREAT FOR YOUR COMPUTER

RaymondB.Waller@Compuscore.net

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:15 -0000, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Subject: WARNING: OPERA IS A SERIOUS THREAT TO YOUR COMPUTER

>Ah, you're back again, well it is about that time I suppose. You're that
>person who either posts unsubstantiated claims anonymously (as you did
>earlier today) or uses a dead person's name claiming (every few weeks)
>that they just installed Opera and it made the roof on their house fall
>off and their dog run away to live with your ex-wife etc.
>
>Does it annoy you that no matter how many times you post this silly
>nonsense no one rises to the bait and replies abusively? Perhaps this is
>something you really can't comprehend: the Opera community simply isn't a
>bunch of fanboys foamers always looking for a fight whilst out on their
>"quest". They're mostly friendly, helpful and intelligent (not to mention
>pragmatic) enough to spot a troll a mile off and respond sensibly. Maybe
>you should think about why so many people with these traits are attracted
>to the same web browser?

I'd be happy to send you photos of my screen as Opera destroyed all
the data on my computer, except I did not have my digital camera handy
to take photos of my screen as it devoured everything. This was not a
virus, spyware, nor a hardware failure. This was Opera. After the
reformat the computer works fine again. However, I plan to get a new
computer soon. After I backup all my important data, I might just
install Opera again, and will be ready to take photos as it destroys
my computer data. I will also record all instances of spyware that
Opera sucks in like a magnet, but only if Opera does not devour my
data immediately after installing it. I will post the results on a
website.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I used Opera and I learned how
destructive it is. Besides that, it's ugly, can not render websites
correctly, and crashed more than any other piece of software I have
ever used. (Those were the earlier versions, before version 6.x or was
it 7.x. I cant remember whch of them did all the damage, but I would
never install it again). What can I say, I tolerated the earlier
versions, but never liked them, then the problems began as I upgraded
and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself actually
pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for free. Firefox
has it's flaws, but it works and is better than IE, and I wont even
attempt to compare it to Opera because there is no comparison. The
difference is like heaven and hell. If a piece of software is going
to destroy my computer, than it's my obligation to warn others. A
lawsuit would be my preferred method to deal with this, but with
everything gone and wiped out, how can I prove it. Maybe if I knew
computer expert that could spend weeks putting all the pieces back
together of what remained on my computer, I'd have scientific proof.
But that's not possible, and I am not willing to get involved in all
the legal matters. I dont need proof, I KNOW that Opera severely
damaged the data on my computer, and that's good enough for me. I
live in the USA and I have a thing called freedom of speech, and I
will use that freedom to warn others, as long as Opera continues to
peddle their trashware. Some people will still install the Opera
garbage, ad many will suffer, but if you read this message, YOU HAVE
BEEN WARNED.

Opera (all versions of it), are the worst pieces of software ever
written. If anyone installs it, BEWARE. You better have a good backup
because Opera will destroy your operating system and eradicate other
data, leaving your computer unable to boot. If you are not happy with
IE, use Firefox or any other non-microsoft browser, but NEVER allow
Opera anywhere near your computer.

Opera is good for one thing. If you hate your boss, or anyone else,
install Opera on THEIR computer and watch them get hysterical as Opera
destroys their computer.... So, Opera is good for something ....

I just found out that Opera is not just dangerous on a PC, look at
this article and what it does to a MAC.

Be sure to read THIS on
http://jroller.com/page/aszegedi?entry=mail_woes_on_mac

Mail woes on Mac

It provides some comfort that I'm not the only one wrestling with the
problem.

I thought that when I switch to Mac, I'll be able to import Opera
mailboxes to Mail.App. Opera stores mail in plain ol' RFC 2822
compliant mbox files, so it should be a vanilla thing.

Well, it is not.

It happens that the importer chokes on a message, and then stops at
it. Of course, no error message is shown, I just see that the imported
mbox has lot less messages than it should.

Then I thought I'll keep using Opera. I moved the Opera mail folder
from the PC to the Mac, installed Opera for Mac, and was happy.

Until I noticed Opera for Mac (both 8.50 and 8.51) eats 20% of the CPU
constantly. When idle. With no windows open. With no mail and RSS
feeds being fetched in the meanwhile.

That's when I decided to try importing to Mail.App again and betray my
three-year loyalty to Opera. Anyway, lots of stuff doesn't integrate
with Opera - iCal, Spotlight, etc. (In Opera's defense, it has its own
indexing/searching/smart folders that's as good as Spotlight and
Mail.App's smart folders are. But it isn't integrated, and unless they
make a Spotlight plugin, it's doomed as I got accustomed to going to
Spotlight as my one-stop-shop to finding anything on the machine).
This time though, instead of importing the zillion of mbox files Opera
natively keeps (one per account and per month), I decided to use the
"Export" function in Opera. What's to say, it's not exactly debugged.
My "Received" folder holds a bit more than 40000 messages, but the
export plops a mbox file that only contains about 5000, apparently
randomly selected ones. F*cking hilarious.

I also exported the "Sent" folder, and it got exported nicely. At
least, a quick grep "\nFrom " sent.mbs | wc -l produced the same
number as that displayed by Opera.

Mail.App however doesn't import only the very first message. Oh, and
after it finished importing then it goes on to consume 85% of the CPU
and grow its virtual memory to cca. 1.43 GB before I killed it. I made
a smaller mbox file by keeping only first three message, to experiment
on. When I import it, only the first message makes it through. If I
remove the second message, then the first and the third message get
imported. So, it's some weirdness with the second message. Granted, it
is UTF-8 coded. Let's remove all hungarian accents from it, and
reimport. Again, import chokes on it. Let's remove hungarian accents
from subject and to lines as well. Nada. Let's remove all mentions of
UTF-8 at all in headers (by now, the message is pretty much ASCII
anyway). It still doesn't import. Darn. I have no idea what's wrong
with that message right now. It looks similar to those before and
after it. And it makes the import choke.

At this point, I realized that since I bought this machine to increase
my productivity, I should probably put hacking a workaround for
Mail.App import behind me and do something I'm actually paid for. So
the state of affairs at the moment is:

I hate Opera's export functionality
I hate Mail.App's import functionality
I hate Opera for eating 20% of CPU while idle
I'm less happy with the Mac experience than I was last week
I dislike the fact that you can't easily customize on global level the
web browser and mail app that other apps should use. At least on
Windows, Opera took over nicely, and all programs that needed to open
a browser respected the setting and didn't blindly launch IE. On Mac
however, iChat will always launch Safari. iCal will always send
meeting confirmation's through Mail.App. Not nice.
I dislike the fact that Opera doesn't do everything it could to better
integrate into the environment. Keywords: Spotlight plugin for search,
Address Book for contacts, Keychain for passwords.
Nov 28 2005, 07:44:26 PM CET Permalink

Vegard Krog Petersen

on 02.01.2006 22:15 http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
> everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself actually
> pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for free. Firefox

Opera is freeware.

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Leonidas Jones

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:15 -0000, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

/snip as it is all off topic.

Cross posting cut as well, this reply is only to alt.fan.mozilla

Please don't cross post this here. I have nothing against Opera, and I
actually use it a fair amount, though I prefer Mozilla. But since this
is a mozilla support group, this discussion is pointless.

If you want to start a debate on the relative merits of different
internet suites, fine, but do it only here.

Cross posting is rarely a good idea. On the rare occasions when it is
needed, always note the cross post in the body of the message, and, in
most cases, set a followup to the group where you would like discussion
to continue.

http://www.livinginternet.com/u/ua_cross.htm

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/C/cross-post.html

Lee

Roy L. Fuchs

Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
> on 02.01.2006 22:15 (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
>> everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself actually
>> pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for free. Firefox

> Opera is freeware.

You get what you pay for.

El CapitánŠ

Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
> Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
>> on 02.01.2006 22:15 (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> and one version got worse than the next. I hate Opera, hate
>>> everything about it. It amazes me that people like yourself
>>> actually pay money for such garbage when you can get Firefox for
>>> free. Firefox

>> Opera is freeware.

> You get what you pay for.

Opera is Freeware indeed!
And it's a good alternative for MS Explorer.

--
\\\|///
{--O O--}

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:15:52
-0600, in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of
(E-Mail Removed) spewed the following:

|On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:18:02 -0000, Eik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
|>On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:00:15 -0000, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<snip 154 lines of bullshit.

I'm almost speechless, almost.

Get a grip, get a life, take drugs, do beer bongs, get laid, slap your
mom, slap your dad, play with your sister, get a lobotomy, consider
seppuku, seek professional help and by all means, use Fire****s; you
owe it to yourself.
--

-nos1eep

http://www.just****inggoogleit.com/

Gary Woods

nos1eep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm almost speechless, almost.

Googling the OP is _most_ informative.

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68 0B

Ed Mullen

Gary Woods wrote:
> nos1eep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm almost speechless, almost.

> Googling the OP is _most_ informative.

This is pretty funny. Care to post a Google link so I don't have to
chase it down myself?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Gary Woods wrote:
>> nos1eep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm almost speechless, almost.

>> Googling the OP is _most_ informative.
>>

> This is pretty funny. Care to post a Google link so I don't have to
> chase it down myself?

LOL. This one is pretty good:

http://operahater.blogspot.com/

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:23:31 GMT,
in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of Gary Woods
<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following:

|nos1eep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
|>I'm almost speechless, almost.
|
|Googling the OP is _most_ informative.

Oh, ok. He couldn't figure out how to use it.