Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Ghosts of the Abyss aspect ratio

Ghosts of the Abyss aspect ratio

Joshua Zyber

Did anyone see this in an Imax screening? Most Imax movies have a 4:3
aspect ratio, but the DVD for this one is 16:9.

A disclaimer before the movie states: "This film has been significantly
altered from its original 3D presentation. Many images have been
reformated for 2D viewing." I don't know whether that alteration just
means the switch from 3D to 2D or whether Cameron has reframed the shots
for home video as well.

Douglas Bailey

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> Did anyone see this in an Imax screening? Most Imax movies have a 4:3
> aspect ratio, but the DVD for this one is 16:9.
>
> A disclaimer before the movie states: "This film has been significantly
> altered from its original 3D presentation. Many images have been
> reformated for 2D viewing." I don't know whether that alteration just
> means the switch from 3D to 2D or whether Cameron has reframed the shots
> for home video as well.

I can't honestly claim that I remember the AR from my showing (I was way
too close to the screen to be able to comfortably see the edges and the
framing), but this _Hollywood Reporter_ interview with Cameron suggests
that the film was indeed released to IMAX theatres in 1.78:1...

THR: How does the HD look blown up to 15-perf/70mm?

Cameron: It looks phenomenal. To say we're wildly enthusiastic would not be
overstating it. One has to bear in mind, though, that it's a 16:9 aspect
ratio, so it doesn't fill the entire height of the Imax screen. It chops
off a bit at the top and bottom...

<http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1486697>

HTH,

doug

--
"I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between..."
--Brian Eno

Tim Pace

All I Know is I am annoyed that it has not been released in 3d.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD.

Joshua Zyber

"Tim Pace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ldvhc.1304$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> All I Know is I am annoyed that it has not been released in 3d.

Can you play Region 2 NTSC discs?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNBF-1027

Joshua Zyber

"Douglas Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can't honestly claim that I remember the AR from my showing (I was

way
> too close to the screen to be able to comfortably see the edges and

the
> framing), but this _Hollywood Reporter_ interview with Cameron

suggests
> that the film was indeed released to IMAX theatres in 1.78:1...

Thanks, Doug. Answers my question perfectly.

ThePunisher

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> "Douglas Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I can't honestly claim that I remember the AR from my showing (I was
>> way too close to the screen to be able to comfortably see the edges
>> and the framing), but this _Hollywood Reporter_ interview with
>> Cameron suggests that the film was indeed released to IMAX theatres
>> in 1.78:1...

> Thanks, Doug. Answers my question perfectly.

But then again it was 4:3 in my local IMAX

--
ThePunisher

Mark Spatny

Joshua Zyber,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Did anyone see this in an Imax screening? Most Imax movies have a 4:3
> aspect ratio, but the DVD for this one is 16:9.

Joshua,

I worked on Ghosts of the Abyss. Most of it was shot with HD cameras
(kind of hard to get an IMAX camera in a Remote Operated Vehicle - not
to mention needing TWO of them for the stereo effect). The entire post
production process was done in HD video, then the video was uprezzed to
IMAX resolution, and filmed out letterboxed in the 4:3 IMAX frame.

The conversion from 3D to 2D is simply using only a single camera's
viewpoint, rather than the two camera stereo effect. That didn't have an
impact on the aspect ratio.

You might be interested to know that James Cameron is planning on
shooting an entire dramatic 3D feature in the same process, using HD
cameras in stereo.

-Mark

Tim Pace

Yes I can play NTSCT and thanks for the link I wanted a LCD shutter version
this sounds like an anaglyph version as glasses are supplied. I wonder if
the switching version is on the DVD ?

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD.

Joshua Zyber

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> I worked on Ghosts of the Abyss. Most of it was shot with HD cameras
> (kind of hard to get an IMAX camera in a Remote Operated Vehicle - not
> to mention needing TWO of them for the stereo effect). The entire post
> production process was done in HD video, then the video was uprezzed

> IMAX resolution, and filmed out letterboxed in the 4:3 IMAX frame.
>
> The conversion from 3D to 2D is simply using only a single camera's
> viewpoint, rather than the two camera stereo effect. That didn't have

an
> impact on the aspect ratio.

Thanks, Mark, very enlightening.

I was aware that switching from 3D to 2D wouldn't affect the aspect
ratio itself. However, I was wondering if in addition to that change
Cameron had reframed the shots for home video. He's a big fan of doing
that for the pan&scan transfers of his Super35 movies, and generally
Imax features are composed in a way that works on a super-large screen
but not on home video. I guess that isn't the case here, though.

Dennis Kuhn

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<d8thc.5127$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net>...
> Did anyone see this in an Imax screening? Most Imax movies have a 4:3
> aspect ratio, but the DVD for this one is 16:9.
>
> A disclaimer before the movie states: "This film has been significantly
> altered from its original 3D presentation. Many images have been
> reformated for 2D viewing." I don't know whether that alteration just
> means the switch from 3D to 2D or whether Cameron has reframed the shots
> for home video as well.

I saw the Imax/3D version, and was too busy watching the action to
notice the aspect ratio, I'm afraid. I'm really glad I got a chance
to see it in that format and took it. There were a couple of times
where I really felt an urge to do that cliche
reach-out-and-try-to-touch-the-image thing. Also, having gotten my
open water SCUBA certification a couple of years ago made losing
myself in this movie that much easier, I think.

I am admittedly disappointed that they didn't try ANY sort of 3D for
the DVD release. But I'm confident that any re-framing/alterations to
the picture won't adversely affect the story being told. Since it's
two disks for a shorter-than-most-features film, I'm really looking
forward to all the extras that must be available. With any luck, a
good 5.1 sound mix will help to remind me of the scope of my initial
viewing.

Dennis