Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > SONY DVP-NS300 Bad?

SONY DVP-NS300 Bad?

Tom

I've had my SONY DVD Player (DVP-NS300) for over two years, and it has been
great. But recently it has started to have some video stuttering and
messages about a dirty disc (even with new DVDs). Now it will suddenly
start to freeze and then go to a black display. Is there a way to correct
this problem? Is it just shot?

LASERandDVDfan

>I've had my SONY DVD Player (DVP-NS300) for over two years, and it has been
>great. But recently it has started to have some video stuttering and
>messages about a dirty disc (even with new DVDs). Now it will suddenly
>start to freeze and then go to a black display.

You could try to clean the objective lens on the laser optical pickup.

Another thing that can be done is to perform the auto-calibration procedure for
the player.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonydvd.html

These directions should cover your particular model.

There is also the possibility that the optical pickup might be going south, in
which case it is more economical to replace rather than repair. When
replacing, do stick with Japanese brands, namely Panasonic, Pioneer, JVC,
Toshiba, or Sony. - Reinhart

Tom

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You could try to clean the objective lens on the laser optical pickup.
>
> Another thing that can be done is to perform the auto-calibration
> procedure for the player.
>
> http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonydvd.html
>
> These directions should cover your particular model.
>
> There is also the possibility that the optical pickup might be going
> south, in which case it is more economical to replace rather than
> repair. When replacing, do stick with Japanese brands, namely
> Panasonic, Pioneer, JVC, Toshiba, or Sony. - Reinhart

Thanks for the reply. Is the first suggestion of cleaning the objective
lens, the same as the manual discuraged use of "commercially available
CD/DVD cleaning disc?"

I'm guessing the unit just wouldn't be worth the cost of being taken
somewhere for repair.

I also have a Philips DVD Recorder, so would probably not replace the
player.

LASERandDVDfan

>Thanks for the reply. Is the first suggestion of cleaning the objective
>lens, the same as the manual discuraged use of "commercially available
>CD/DVD cleaning disc?"

The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean the lens
using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it using the dry end of
the swab.

The use of commercially available CD/DVD cleaning discs is not recommended.
They are usually not effective and could cause damage to the optical pickup.

>I'm guessing the unit just wouldn't be worth the cost of being taken
>somewhere for repair.

Unfortunately. - Reinhart

Uddo Graaf

news:1JGfc.29263$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've had my SONY DVD Player (DVP-NS300) for over two years, and it has

been
> great. But recently it has started to have some video stuttering and
> messages about a dirty disc (even with new DVDs). Now it will suddenly
> start to freeze and then go to a black display. Is there a way to correct
> this problem? Is it just shot?

Clean the lens or let someone who knows how to do it.

Tom

"Uddo Graaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:407ff0a8$0
$64613$(E-Mail Removed):

> Clean the lens or let someone who knows how to do it.

Thank you - I'll try to find out more about this.

Tom

(E-Mail Removed) (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>Thanks for the reply. Is the first suggestion of cleaning the
>>objective lens, the same as the manual discuraged use of "commercially
>>available CD/DVD cleaning disc?"

> The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean
> the lens using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it
> using the dry end of the swab.
>
> The use of commercially available CD/DVD cleaning discs is not
> recommended. They are usually not effective and could cause damage to
> the optical pickup.
>
>>I'm guessing the unit just wouldn't be worth the cost of being taken
>>somewhere for repair.

> Unfortunately. - Reinhart

Thank you - I'll take a look at getting the cover off - it isn't much good
as is; I tried again this evening with the same result.

Tom

Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:k2_fc.30934$1U2.7028
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

>> The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean
>> the lens using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it
>> using the dry end of the swab.

I took the cover off, but it looks like there is more to it, and I did not
really feel good about taking more screws out. I think I'll look for lens
cleaner - seems the safer bet.

LASERandDVDfan

>I took the cover off, but it looks like there is more to it, and I did not
>really feel good about taking more screws out. I think I'll look for lens
>cleaner - seems the safer bet.

There is a top cover for the drive mechanism which is held in place by two or
three screws. It should be okay to remove these screws and take the whole top
cover of the drive off. - Reinhart

Biz

news:Uz0gc.31723$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:k2_fc.30934$1U2.7028
> @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
>
> >> The best way is to actually take the cover off the player and clean
> >> the lens using a swab lightly dampened with water. Then you dry it
> >> using the dry end of the swab.

> I took the cover off, but it looks like there is more to it, and I did not
> really feel good about taking more screws out. I think I'll look for lens
> cleaner - seems the safer bet.

The ONLY truly safe lens cleaner is someone who knows what they are doing.
You clean the lens on the optics just like a camera lens. Do not use a lens
cleaner disc, 99 out of 100 times they do more damage than good.