Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Turner Classics going full screen ??!

Turner Classics going full screen ??!

Jay

Odd thing happened tonight...flipping channels, turned on TCM and noticed a
smug, self-congratulatory spot bragging how TCM is staying true showing
movies completely uncut, uninterrupted, and so on...

Some seemed odd about this (why claim the obvious ?), so I stuck around and
sure enough they're showing Jeremiah Johnson in Pan&scan !

So just the opposite is true -- they're NOT staying true to their original
audience!

In addition, the Fox Movie Channel is now Pan & Scanning their (widescreen)
movies, too.

I find this really disappointing and disturbing, fellas.

Anyone else noticed?

(also, the letterbox movie schedule web site is gone for good -- not too
many people have commented on that, afaik)

Evelyn C. Leeper

<http://www.tv-now.com/stars/lbox.htm> seems okay to me.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

jayembee

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Odd thing happened tonight...flipping channels, turned on TCM and noticed a
>smug, self-congratulatory spot bragging how TCM is staying true showing
>movies completely uncut, uninterrupted, and so on...
>
>Some seemed odd about this (why claim the obvious ?), so I stuck around and
>sure enough they're showing Jeremiah Johnson in Pan&scan !
>
>So just the opposite is true -- they're NOT staying true to their original
>audience!

While TCM does show most widescreen movies in letterbox format, they
don't show *every* widescreen movie letterboxed. It largely depends on
the transfer they get from the studio in question. If the studio
doesn't supply them with a letterboxed copy, they can't air it
letterboxed.

On the other hand, TCM is has shown some films letterboxed that aren't
available in that format on even DVD. Three films I can think of off
the top of my head like that are THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS; YOURS, MINE
AND OURS, and COWBOY.

-- jayembee

Mutley

jayembee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Odd thing happened tonight...flipping channels, turned on TCM and noticed a
>>smug, self-congratulatory spot bragging how TCM is staying true showing
>>movies completely uncut, uninterrupted, and so on...
>>
>>Some seemed odd about this (why claim the obvious ?), so I stuck around and
>>sure enough they're showing Jeremiah Johnson in Pan&scan !
>>
>>So just the opposite is true -- they're NOT staying true to their original
>>audience!

>While TCM does show most widescreen movies in letterbox format, they
>don't show *every* widescreen movie letterboxed. It largely depends on
>the transfer they get from the studio in question. If the studio
>doesn't supply them with a letterboxed copy, they can't air it
>letterboxed.
>
>On the other hand, TCM is has shown some films letterboxed that aren't
>available in that format on even DVD. Three films I can think of off
>the top of my head like that are THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS; YOURS, MINE
>AND OURS, and COWBOY.
>
>-- jayembee

In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
compared with us,,..

Baz

> In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
> worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
> compared with us,,..

The Australian TCM is laughable.
The movies look as though they've been filmed with a handheld video camera,
at a drive-in theatre then compressed to Divx and then recompressed to
MPEG-1.

Pretty much unwatchable.

Joshua Zyber

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
> worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
> compared with us,,..

That wouldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that most of
the movies TCM airs are pre-1950, would it? Most of those movies aren't
supposed to be widescreen or stereo.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mutley wrote:

> In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
> worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
> compared with us,,..

Well here, the majority of TCM is probably full-screen, but only because
that's the original aspect ratio.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper
Separate is not equal. The right time to do the right thing
is always now. Those who say "wait" usually mean "never."
--Bonnie Tinker and The Rev. Cecil Prescod

Joseph

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:54:15 +1200, Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
>worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
>compared with us,,..

What country would that be?

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

Grand Inquisitor

Months ago I noticed they were showing Ginger and Fred (the Fellini
movie) in 4:3. Somebody suggested that mayhap that was the only
transfer available. Maybe the same is true of Jeremiah Johnson. I
wonder if Sydney Pollack will keep hosting The Essentials if he knew
about this, seeing as how he's sued other networks for showing his
movies in pan and scan.

--
"Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
--Hilary Clinton

Grand Inquisitor

jayembee

Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Months ago I noticed they were showing Ginger and Fred (the Fellini
>movie) in 4:3. Somebody suggested that mayhap that was the only
>transfer available. Maybe the same is true of Jeremiah Johnson.

Doubtful, since there was a widescreen transfer done for the DVD.

-- jayembee