Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Which DVD commentaries would you like to see?

Reply
Thread Tools

Which DVD commentaries would you like to see?

 
 
Spookshow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2004
I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally skewed towards releases that include them. Which DVDs that currently don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?

I could name dozens, but I'll start out with Animal House and The Blues Brothers. How John Landis found time to sit down to do commentary for Kentucky Fried Movie but not these two is still a mystery to me.

Next?

-Mark
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Vlvetmorning98
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
David Byrne and co-writers-"True Stories"

Philip Kaufman-"Henry and June"

John Dahl-"The Last Seduction"

Richard Rich-"The Black Cauldron"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Spookshow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
Wow, thanks for the John Dahl reminder. I just went ahead and ordered Red
Rock West from amazon.com

-Mark

"Vlvetmorning98" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Byrne and co-writers-"True Stories"
>
> Philip Kaufman-"Henry and June"
>
> John Dahl-"The Last Seduction"
>
> Richard Rich-"The Black Cauldron"



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Spatny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
Spookshow,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Which DVDs that currently don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?


Generally speaking, the only commentary tracks I listen to are the ones
by the visual effects supervisor on the film. Only a relatively few DVDs
have such tracks (off the top of my head I can think of Contact, Lost in
Space). I'd like to see pretty much any big summer blockbuster with a
VFX Supervisor track.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Spookshow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
I'm not a big VFX maven, so commentaries that feature those kinds of guys
generally send me off to la-la land. Cast Away, Jurassic Park III, The
Matrix and Twister are ones that come readily to mind. Got any suggestions
for VFX-oriented commentaries that feature really interesting and
entertaining personalities?

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Spookshow,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Which DVDs that currently don't include commentary would you like to see

re-released with commentary?
>
> Generally speaking, the only commentary tracks I listen to are the ones
> by the visual effects supervisor on the film. Only a relatively few DVDs
> have such tracks (off the top of my head I can think of Contact, Lost in
> Space). I'd like to see pretty much any big summer blockbuster with a
> VFX Supervisor track.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Spatny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
Spookshow,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Got any suggestions
> for VFX-oriented commentaries that feature really interesting and
> entertaining personalities?


Unfortunately, no. There might be some, but frankly I never noticed. For
me, it's not about the entertainment value. I listen to learn more about
my craft.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bexley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
1 - The Bedford Incident
2 - Patton
3 - Blue Velvet

I think it should be mandatory that all DVDs come with commentary. Bruce Campbell should be put on stand-by to do commentary for any movie where the director isn't available. Rober Ebert should never be allowed to do commentary -- "Matte Drawing" Jeeze.

--Bex.

--
Duckman - I've seen plenty of guys with smaller bills than me....
not that I look at other guys bills.
"Spookshow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:407c75c7$0$17257$(E-Mail Removed) ...
I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally skewed towards releases that include them. Which DVDs that currently don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?

I could name dozens, but I'll start out with Animal House and The Blues Brothers. How John Landis found time to sit down to do commentary for Kentucky Fried Movie but not these two is still a mystery to me.

Next?

-Mark
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
>"Spookshow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:407c75c7$0$17257$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally

skewed towards releases that >include them. Which DVDs that currently don't
include commentary would you like to see re-released with >commentary?

I would love to hear Spielberg do commentaries on his films. He's an
extremely articulate speaker, and I'm sure an analysis of his own films
would be fascinating. However, I understand the reason he doesn't want to
do them and respect it.

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
>"Bexley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ES9fc.160908$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>I think it should be mandatory that all DVDs come with commentary. Bruce

Campbell should be put on stand->by to do commentary for any movie where the
director isn't available. Rober Ebert should never be allowed >to do
commentary

Why? Ebert's commentary on "Dark City" is one of the best commentaries out
there.

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Darrel Christenson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
Spookshow wrote:

> I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally
> skewed towards releases that include them. Which DVDs that currently
> don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?


None. Out of the upwards of a thousand or more
dvds I own I've never listened to one nor ever
will and don't think I even know anyone who gives
a flip. I'd rather they use the wasted space so
that the regular soundtracks didn't have to be
compressed.


drc


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011: Which Ruby books have you read? And which would you recommend? Aston J. Ruby 13 03-16-2011 07:36 AM
MMM Commentaries - Fan-Made DVD Commentaries MMM Commentaries DVD Video 0 10-30-2005 11:36 AM
MMM Commentaries - Fan-Made DVD Commentaries MMM Commentaries DVD Video 0 10-19-2005 12:26 PM
MMM Commentaries - Fan-Made DVD Commentaries MMM Commentaries DVD Video 0 10-19-2005 12:24 PM
MMM Commentaries - Fan-Made DVD Commentaries MMM Commentaries DVD Video 0 10-14-2005 06:29 AM



Advertisments