Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Hard Disk recorder

Hard Disk recorder

JethroUK©

Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to any
particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for around 200 ?

Simon Heather

"JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to any
> particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for around 200

?

Tivo is the only flexible solution - get one for less than 200 quid on eBay.

- Simon.

Andy

JethroUK© wrote:
> Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to
> any particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for
> around 200 ?

Well, there's batch of Freeview PVRs, made by Pace, Fusion, and Humax. Ok,
they're tied to Freeview, but there's no sub or minimum contract involved.
Check http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/pvr.html for brief details of the
choices available to you.

Andy

Martin

Pace Twin from Argos

Well featured DTTV unit

JethroUK©

"Simon Heather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:407c43a3$0$6551$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to

any
> > particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for around

200
> ?
>
> Tivo is the only flexible solution - get one for less than 200 quid on

eBay.

i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?

Roger the cabin boy

i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?

Tivo has its own sub of £10 a month or one off payment of £200 - well worth
it as now almost into my 3rd yr

If you already have SKY then it will get the programme info for those
channels too - but if not then it will just get the norm 1-5 channs.

JethroUK©

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:407c5309@212.67.96.135...
> Pace Twin from Argos
>
> Well featured DTTV unit

doesn't this only record freeview channels?

JethroUK©

"Roger the cabin boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?
>
> Tivo has its own sub of £10 a month or one off payment of £200 - well

worth
> it as now almost into my 3rd yr
>
> If you already have SKY then it will get the programme info for those
> channels too - but if not then it will just get the norm 1-5 channs.

i cant figure out what the subscription (or for that matter the outright
price) might be for (rental for the machine? - i doubt it) - i dont
subscribe to my video/dvd recorder, so assume there is 'some link',
'somewhere' with 'some' tv service that i dont want - i just want a recorder
(hard drive one) - i'm going to read up about tivo - thanx

Andy

JethroUK© wrote:
> doesn't this only record freeview channels?

But that's pretty much all you'd want from a video recorder? If you have
Sky, go for Sky+. Given the finite amount of storage space, hard drive
recorders are only really suited for short term storage of stuff you've
taped off tv. If you want to archive things for a long period of time
you'll need to archive to either dvd or vid.

Andy

JethroUK©

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:407c6c3f$0$6547$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JethroUK© wrote:
> > doesn't this only record freeview channels?

> But that's pretty much all you'd want from a video recorder? If you have
> Sky, go for Sky+. Given the finite amount of storage space, hard drive
> recorders are only really suited for short term storage of stuff you've
> taped off tv. If you want to archive things for a long period of time
> you'll need to archive to either dvd or vid.
>
> Andy

i have cable (neither sky or freeview & dont want either) - i just want a
recorder - seems strange that all hard drive recorders are commited to a
particular provider (unlike video/dvd recorders)