Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Optional censorship in DVDs...

Reply
Thread Tools

Optional censorship in DVDs...

 
 
Opticreep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
I think one aspect of DVD technology that has been greatly overlooked
is the potential for VOLUNTARY censorship.

We've all seen DVD title that give you the option to seemlessly splice
in "extra scenes" into the movie. What I'd like is for the movie to
have the *OPTION* to seemlessly replace R-rated scenes and languages
with alternate takes.

It's not like the film studios don't already do this sort of thing.
Watching "Silence of the Lambs" on tv the other day, I noticed that
the director actually filmed alternate takes and dialogue to tone down
a few scenes. For example, in the prison Miggs growls "I can smell
you!" to Starling, instead of "I can smell your ****!". And in the
scene where Miggs throws semen at Starling's face, the PG version
shows an alternate camera angle that makes the event seem a little
less gross.

I'm not really a fanatic when it comes to censorship. When I'm
watching a movie alone, or with people in my age group, I enjoy the
occasional bloodbath, the colorful obscenities, and the assortment
naked x-rated action.

But it DOES feel very, very awkward when you're watching an
Oscar-nominated movie with your mother (or daughter, or your
adolescent son, or your dog) and all of you suddenly find yourselves
unexpectedly staring at a big lesbo x-rated scene playing out in your
40-inch TV. Then you have to sit through that awkward moment trying
to figure out whether or not they want you to fast forward through the
scene. It's really hard to judge the content of movies these days,
because even Oscar-caliber films (Mulholland Drive, Requiem for a
Dream) and seemingly childish movies (The Animal) have scenes that'll
make you squirm if you're with the wrong viewing crowd.

It'd be nice if I could set up a movie beforehand so that it will play
normally, or play in PG-13 mode. The technology is there. And the
potential for a marketing gimmick is there as well --- your average
American Walmart-shopping household would probably find this sort of
DVD more practical than, say, a "superbit" or "director's cut"
version. And families wouldn't be so hestitant with buying an R-rated
movie if there was an option to voluntarily tone down its adult
content.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stan Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
"Opticreep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>We've all seen DVD title that give you the option to seamlessly splice
>in "extra scenes" into the movie. What I'd like is for the movie to
>have the *OPTION* to seamlessly replace R-rated scenes and languages
>with alternate takes.

[spelling corrected free]

Out of curiosity, _Where_ have we seen that option for seamless
splicing? I've got quite a few DVDs with "deleted scenes" under
special features, and not one of them gives me the option to watch
the movie with the deleted scenes in their original places. I would
find that a really nice feature.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004

>
> Out of curiosity, _Where_ have we seen that option for seamless
> splicing? I've got quite a few DVDs with "deleted scenes" under
> special features, and not one of them gives me the option to watch
> the movie with the deleted scenes in their original places. I would
> find that a really nice feature.


It should be possible. Many Disney DVDs include multiple language versions
of the opening/closing titles, as does "Attack of the Clones." Depending
upon which language you select, the approriate titles are seamlessly
inserted, so I don't see why the same couldn't be done for a deleted scene.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mischa van Dinter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:17:21 GMT, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>>
>> Out of curiosity, _Where_ have we seen that option for seamless
>> splicing? I've got quite a few DVDs with "deleted scenes" under
>> special features, and not one of them gives me the option to watch
>> the movie with the deleted scenes in their original places. I would
>> find that a really nice feature.

>
>It should be possible. Many Disney DVDs include multiple language versions
>of the opening/closing titles, as does "Attack of the Clones." Depending
>upon which language you select, the approriate titles are seamlessly
>inserted, so I don't see why the same couldn't be done for a deleted scene.
>

The Rocky Horror Picture Show makes good use of this feature, you can
use it to substitute an alternate black and white opening for the
original one, and you can choose between US and UK versions, the
latter seamlessly adds an extra song.

Mischa
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
"Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> Out of curiosity, _Where_ have we seen that option for seamless
> splicing?


The Abyss and Terminator 2 releases use this feature perfectly for different
versions of the movies. You're right that it's a sorely underused feature.

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5els7$bq9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> > Out of curiosity, _Where_ have we seen that option for seamless
> > splicing?

>
> The Abyss and Terminator 2 releases use this feature perfectly for

different
> versions of the movies. You're right that it's a sorely underused

feature.
>
> Mike
>
>



BUT depending on how good your DVD player is at seamless splicing /
branching, you might hear a sudden whirring sound from the player and see a
pause or visible jerk in the movie.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
"Mark W" <s@o> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c5els7$bq9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > >
> > > Out of curiosity, _Where_ have we seen that option for seamless
> > > splicing?

> >
> > The Abyss and Terminator 2 releases use this feature perfectly for

> different
> > versions of the movies. You're right that it's a sorely underused

> feature.
>
> BUT depending on how good your DVD player is at seamless splicing /
> branching, you might hear a sudden whirring sound from the player and see

a
> pause or visible jerk in the movie.


That's unfortunate. This could be a very useful feature in many cases, and
it's too bad more DVDs don't use it and that apparently some manufacturers
aren't up to speed in seeing that its use would work well on their products.

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>
> I'm not really a fanatic when it comes to censorship. When I'm
> watching a movie alone, or with people in my age group, I enjoy the
> occasional bloodbath, the colorful obscenities, and the assortment
> naked x-rated action.
>
> But it DOES feel very, very awkward when you're watching an
> Oscar-nominated movie with your mother (or daughter, or your
> adolescent son, or your dog) and all of you suddenly find yourselves
> unexpectedly staring at a big lesbo x-rated scene playing out in your
> 40-inch TV. Then you have to sit through that awkward moment trying
> to figure out whether or not they want you to fast forward through the
> scene. It's really hard to judge the content of movies these days,
> because even Oscar-caliber films (Mulholland Drive, Requiem for a
> Dream) and seemingly childish movies (The Animal) have scenes that'll
> make you squirm if you're with the wrong viewing crowd.
>
> It'd be nice if I could set up a movie beforehand so that it will play
> normally, or play in PG-13 mode. The technology is there. And the
> potential for a marketing gimmick is there as well --- your average
> American Walmart-shopping household would probably find this sort of
> DVD more practical than, say, a "superbit" or "director's cut"
> version. And families wouldn't be so hestitant with buying an R-rated
> movie if there was an option to voluntarily tone down its adult
> content.
>



The term is "seamless branching"

I have only seen it work well on ONE dvd. The original release of "The
Abyys".

Even that one doesnt work well on some older players. (it might tend to
"hang")

It was used to insert scenes that were deleted to shorten the movie after its
initial release and add some scenes that were not in even the premiere
version of the movie.

On a good player, it works quite well, and could probably be used to make a
"choose your rating" version of a movie.

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stan Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2004
"Mark W" <s@o> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>BUT depending on how good your DVD player is at seamless splicing /
>branching, you might hear a sudden whirring sound from the player and see a
>pause or visible jerk in the movie.


I wouldn't much mind that. I notice layer transitions but by the
time I've reacted to them mentally the movie is playing already.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2004

"Opticreep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I think one aspect of DVD technology that has been greatly overlooked
> is the potential for VOLUNTARY censorship.


Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but if censorship is required for viewing than
it problably is not an approproate movie for that person to be viewing in
the first place. It won't kill you or your child to watch the movie at a
more age appropriate time.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US JA DVD Video 40 04-16-2005 12:45 AM
[ECLIPSE] [CENSORSHIP] - Mike Milinkovich (Eclipse Foundation Director)Censors Forums Ilias Lazaridis Java 0 01-08-2005 12:23 PM
SONG OF THE SOUTH: Asinine Disney Censorship! One-Shot Scot DVD Video 25 12-10-2004 03:21 AM
Outlook Express 6 censorship Dave Squibb Computer Support 12 05-21-2004 12:55 PM
Outlook Censorship ? Snag Computer Support 5 02-02-2004 02:39 PM



Advertisments