Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Would you believe - a cassette deck for your computer?

Would you believe - a cassette deck for your computer?

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

My wife saw this item in the Washington Post on Sunday, December 11th 2005. I found it at www.thinkgeek.com, and thought you guys might be interested in adding a cassette deck to your PC. I have lots of old cassette tapes, but they are mostly ones I recoreded from LPs that I had from the 1970's and 1980's before switching over to CDs. I'm not sure it's worth trying to play them on my computer, with all the recorded pops and clicks that you used to get from LPs.

Technoholic Technoholic is offline
Senior Member

It could be worth it. I've been looking for one like that to record some of my favorites from the The Sound of 80s, Greatest Hits of 80's, and those kind of tapes, that I couldn't find anywhere..

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

As I posted before but it didn't work for some reason, Cool Edit Pro will get rid of most of the pops and clicks, I think it's been bought out and renamed though. Adobe Audition is the new name for it.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

...where someone suggested they might come out with a reel-to-reel player for our computers. That's like going full circle back in time. My dad used to have a reel-to-reel tape player in a high-fi cabinet he built himself in the early 1960's.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

I think www.amdboard.com did a review on the plus deck!

good idea though not that i have tapes to move over.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Al, I thought you were older than that. *I* Have a r2r for heaven's sake. And they have a lot over casettes for quality. But this isn't a bad idea. Think about how easy this would make it to convert your old tapes to CD's? I never liked casettes though, I liked vinyl, when will they put out a turntable for the PC?

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholy
I think www.amdboard.com did a review on the plus deck!

good idea though not that i have tapes to move over.

Didn't i talk to you about this same deck a few months back?

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstrand
Didn't i talk to you about this same deck a few months back?
Did you? I don't remember seeing it before.

Modfather - I'm in my mid-forties. I didn't own a reel-to-reel. That was on it's way out when I was growing up in the 1960's. I remember the first 8-track tape decks though. My dad got an 8-track player in his1970 Cougar XR7.

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

Al, sorry to confuse you, but I was talking to Nathan about it over msn one night. I didn't mean talking to you about it.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

...I thought you meant talking in the forums. I don't run the messenger stuff, as I don't have time for that kind of thing.