Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > One More Wireless-to-Wired Oddity

One More Wireless-to-Wired Oddity

Yesterday I was told how to combine my dsl modem/router and
linksys router into one network, by turning off dhcp in the
linksys wired router and making it into a passive switch

Today, I've noticed a file sharing oddity

A and B are desktops connected to wired linksys ports, C is
a laptop using the wireless dsl modem... all are able to see
each other, and it is possible to print from the laptop to a
computer connected to one of the desktops

The oddity is that I set several folders on B to be shared,
and I am able to see them from A... but when I set folders
to be shared on the C/laptop, they are not visible to either
of the desktop computers, and the several shared folders on
the B/desktop are not visible from the laptop

Both desktops see the laptop's Windows default shared folder,
and the laptop sees the default shared folders on each desktop,
but there this oddity concerning wireless-to-wired settings

It is possible to get files copied to where they need to go by
first copying to the default shared folders set up by Windoze
and then to the actual folder after physically moving to that
computer... but it would be much faster for me to copy files
directly to where they need to go in the first place (which I
am able to do for copies between the two wired desktops)

Anyone have any idea why the non-default folders on either the
desktop or laptop are not seen on the other computer?

I Hate Windoze!

I had restarted all 3 computers and the changes I made did
NOT show up in network places... but now, today, all of the
folders I added to sharing DO show up

Oh well... it works now as expected, so I guess the oddity
of the network "table" not immediately updating is just an
oddity, and not something I'm going to worry about now