Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How long to burn 100 GB onto DVD?

How long to burn 100 GB onto DVD?

Raxxy

Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
considering a Liteon 8x burner.

Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.

I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
4.7 GB object to burn?

Mike Kohary

"Raxxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
> considering a Liteon 8x burner.
>
> Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
> it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
>
> I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
> would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
> player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
> verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
> other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
> 4.7 GB object to burn?

Nope, you've pretty much got it. Put aside a day or two for this tedious
task (I've been there and done that).

Mike

Non

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:41:14 +0100, Raxxy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
>considering a Liteon 8x burner.
>
>Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
>it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
>
>I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
>would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
>player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
>verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
>other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
>4.7 GB object to burn?

If you can find good quality 8x media that is recognized at 8x by your
drive... burning at 8x will take about 8.5-9 minutes per disk. I
wouldn't recommend burning at 8x with 4x media however, if you want
the disks to last.

Chuck

get a 100mb hard disk with an external case , will be faster

mrbingley

Chuck wrote:
:: get a 100mb hard disk with an external case , will be faster

Do they still sell hard disks that small ?

Chris

Joe Hayes

No, the smallest you can get is 40GB.

"mrbingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l%gdc.5680$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Chuck wrote:
> :: get a 100mb hard disk with an external case , will be faster
>
> Do they still sell hard disks that small ?
>
> Chris

smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

Raxxy wrote:

> Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
> considering a Liteon 8x burner.
>
> Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
> it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
>
> I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
> would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
> player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
> verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
> other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
> 4.7 GB object to burn?

4.7G = 4.7*1000**3 = 4.3*1024**3 = 4.3G

Martin S.

In the computer world 1GB is 1024MB, in the DVD world 1GB is 1000MB....

"smh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ws.com...
> . --------------------------------------
> Mike Richter, were you born with
> "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
> --------------------------------------
> (Mike Richter, any Material Connection w/ Roxio?)
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
> (Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)
>
> ( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
> ( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )
>

> Raxxy wrote:
> >
> > Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
> > considering a Liteon 8x burner.
> >
> > Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
> > it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
> >
> > I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
> > would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
> > player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
> > verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
> > other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
> > 4.7 GB object to burn?

> 4.7G = 4.7*1000**3 = 4.3*1024**3 = 4.3G

rwright

"Raxxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
> considering a Liteon 8x burner.
>
> Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
> it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
>
> I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
> would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
> player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
> verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
> other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
> 4.7 GB object to burn?

My experience indicates that this would take about 4 months. And even then
you won't have a good DVD.
Trust me --buy a stand alone DVD burner.

Chuck

> "Raxxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Am thinking of getting a DVD burner for the first time. Am
> > considering a Liteon 8x burner.
> >
> > Using this burner, I would like to check with you people how long
> > it would take to burn my jepg and mpegs to DVD.
> >
> > I don't know if I will use DVD-R or DVD+R but I am guessing that it
> > would take about 20 minutes to burn 4.7 GB onto a DVD with an 8x
> > player. Then I am assuming it will take another 20 minutes to
> > verify the data is burnt correctly (I am cautious). Are there any
> > other time-consuming activities like the PC/Nero having to create a
> > 4.7 GB object to burn?
> >

> My experience indicates that this would take about 4 months. And even

then
> you won't have a good DVD.
> Trust me --buy a stand alone DVD burner.

What the hell are you talking about ????