Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Movies that stayed with you a long time

Movies that stayed with you a long time

Vlvetmorning98

"My Neighbor Totoro" completely changed my life after I saw its North American
theatrical release in 1993 or 94.

I'm slowly discovering the works of Lars Von Trier, and he keeps on holding me
in awe each time

Trevor S

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

<snip>

> Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
> time?

In no particular order:

Full Metal Jacket
Dead Man Walking
American History X
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Donnie Darko
Angela's Ashs

for different reasons:
Stargate

and for the wrong reasons

A Clockwork Orange, I expected a cinematic marvel and it's still the only
movie I could never finish watching, I thought it that bad.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Frohike

The Empire Strikes Back
Seven Samurai
Alien
The Road Warrior
SE7EN
Vertigo

FredBillie

<< From: (E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep)
Date: Wed, Apr 7, 2004 3:48 AM

Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
may even linger for weeks.

"The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
"Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
Translation" had the same effect on me.

Some movies come close. "American History X", "Saving Private Ryan",
"28 Days Later", "Crouching Tiger", and "A.I." come to mind. And as
much as I really, really hate to admit it... "Titanic" stayed in my
mind for a short while. And I went to that movie with flamethrowers
drawn and ready to flame, too.

I much prefer these kinds of movies than all the crap coming out of
hollywood these days. Even good "crap" that garner a bunch of rave
reviews. A lot of movies these days make me feel as though I have
Alzheimer's Disease. I walk in, watch the movie, enjoy a little bit,
and 3 days later I wouldn't be able to recall a thing about the movie
if you held a gun to my head. "Spiderman", "Hulk", "Insomnia", "We
Were Soldiers", "Ocean's 11", "Matrix", and about a hundred other
films I allegedly saw whose titles I don't even remember.

Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
time?

Anyway
>><BR><BR>

Funny Girl
The Sea Hawk
The Quiet Man
San Antonio
Cat Ballou
Lawrence of Arabia
I Married a Witch

HappyHunter

On 7 Apr 2004 01:48:38 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Opticreep) wrote:

>Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
>long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
>may even linger for weeks.
>
>"The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
>"Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
>more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
>Translation" had the same effect on me.

Lots of movies have stayed with me over the years, but the most recent
one was a couple of years ago - Gangster Number One. I think it was
down to both Paul Bettany's performance, the performance of the
low-life thief who Gangster threatens in his own kitchen, and of the
enemy crim boss (little bloke with glasses) - who was just electric.

Shame about the ending, though.

Eric

<<Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
time? >>

I don't want to admit it, but "The Passion of the Christ" has stayed
with me since I watched it about four weeks ago. Not saying that I
agree with everything in the movie or believe that way, but some of
those images of violence have haunted me since.

Eric

Paul

> Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
> time?

House of Sand and Fog
Session 9
The Pianist

Frank Malczewski

Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <<Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
> time? >>
>
> I don't want to admit it, but "The Passion of the Christ" has stayed
> with me since I watched it about four weeks ago. Not saying that I
> agree with everything in the movie or believe that way, but some of
> those images of violence have haunted me since.
>
> Eric

Along a similar line, I suppose, 'The Last Temptation Of Christ' really
surprised me. As did Dafoe. (I've not seen Passion...)

Lord Vader III

Opticreep wrote:

> Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
> long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
> may even linger for weeks.
>
> "The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
> "Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
> more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
> Translation" had the same effect on me.
>
> Some movies come close. "American History X", "Saving Private Ryan",
> "28 Days Later", "Crouching Tiger", and "A.I." come to mind. And as
> much as I really, really hate to admit it... "Titanic" stayed in my
> mind for a short while. And I went to that movie with flamethrowers
> drawn and ready to flame, too.
>
> I much prefer these kinds of movies than all the crap coming out of
> hollywood these days. Even good "crap" that garner a bunch of rave
> reviews. A lot of movies these days make me feel as though I have
> Alzheimer's Disease. I walk in, watch the movie, enjoy a little bit,
> and 3 days later I wouldn't be able to recall a thing about the movie
> if you held a gun to my head. "Spiderman", "Hulk", "Insomnia", "We
> Were Soldiers", "Ocean's 11", "Matrix", and about a hundred other
> films I allegedly saw whose titles I don't even remember.
>
> Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
> time?
>
> Anyway

What about bad (or so-so movies)? For me it would have to be Krull.
Probably because it was one of the first movies I saw on cable when we
got it and I think it was on every day for about 3 months straight.

LVIII

The Artist

Eraserhead.

--