Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Advice On DVD Burner?

Advice On DVD Burner?

(Pete Cresswell)

Went down to CompUSA over the weekend, shopping for an external DVD burner
w/USB-2.

Didn't recognize any of the brands, but there must've been a half-dozen of them.

Have these things reached commodity status?

What feature set should I be looking for?

Primary use would be for copying data, but will probably wind up creating the
occasional video DVD - both from scratch (transferring home video tapes) and by
copying other DVDs.
--
PeteCresswell

Justin

(Pete Cresswell) wrote on [Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:16:36 GMT]:
> Primary use would be for copying data, but will probably wind up creating the
> occasional video DVD - both from scratch (transferring home video tapes) and by
> copying other DVDs.

Maybe ask in a group that's not alt.video.dvd

Impmon

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:16:36 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have these things reached commodity status?

Must be, they are also available at some Walmart and Walmart isn't
known for computer literacy. Another thing is to check for repuable
brand, some dirt cheap no name model may fail just days after the
warranty expires.

>What feature set should I be looking for?

DVD burner software if you don't have full version of Nero. Some
versions that come with CD burners often are silmed down and won't
work with any other burners.

>Primary use would be for copying data, but will probably wind up creating the
>occasional video DVD - both from scratch (transferring home video tapes) and by
>copying other DVDs.

www.dvdrhelp.com has a list of DVD players and what burned DVD works.
Some DVD players only work with DVD-R, some only works with DVD+R, and
some will work with both format. Then there are the small percentage
of DVD players that won't work with any form of burned DVD.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net