Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Please Help: WLAN working but only intermittent Internet access

Please Help: WLAN working but only intermittent Internet access

Jeff

I and a couple of other novices have been having the identical problem but
have only succeeded in talking to each other which has not helped. Could
wireless expert please help us? We are getting nowhere. I'll describe my
situation (which as far as I can tell is identical to that of the 2 others):

I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently I've had
an annoying problem on one of the three PCs:

The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other computers
with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2 laptop, I
intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet. The wireless
network has no problems from this laptop, but sometimes, after I have
successfully connected to the internet (via the network), it no longer can
find servers on the internet even though the "Wireless Network Connection"
icon shows it to be connected. I can sometimes re-establish internet access
by "viewing available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network
(even though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.

Ipconfig on the problem PC gives me:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\"user">ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [it is the correct one]
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-4B-0A-52
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:27:13
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:27:13
PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is very annoying to repeatedly
lose my internet connection and I do not know where else to look.

Thanks.

Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

When you set up your wireless router, have you changed the
SSID set on the factory to something unique?

--PA

"Jeff" wrote:
> I and a couple of other novices have been having the identical problem but
> have only succeeded in talking to each other which has not helped. Could
> wireless expert please help us? We are getting nowhere. I'll describe my
> situation (which as far as I can tell is identical to that of the 2 others):
>
> I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
> connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently I've had
> an annoying problem on one of the three PCs:
>
> The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other computers
> with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2 laptop, I
> intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet. The wireless
> network has no problems from this laptop, but sometimes, after I have
> successfully connected to the internet (via the network), it no longer can
> find servers on the internet even though the "Wireless Network Connection"
> icon shows it to be connected. I can sometimes re-establish internet access
> by "viewing available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network
> (even though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
> leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.
>
> Ipconfig on the problem PC gives me:
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\"user">ipconfig /all
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [it is the correct one]
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
>
> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook Adapter
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-4B-0A-52
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:27:13
> PM
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:27:13
> PM
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is very annoying to repeatedly
> lose my internet connection and I do not know where else to look.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

Jeff

I set it to a unique name. This is a system that has been working fine for
some time. Then recently, went crazy after I changed something (do n ot
recall what).

The SSID is correct on all the PCs.

The IP is obtained from the router. I have considered changing that so each
PV has its own preset IP (not that I know how) but have been afraid mess
things up even further.

Thanks for replying.

Jeff

Pavel A. wrote:
> When you set up your wireless router, have you changed the
> SSID set on the factory to something unique?
>
> --PA
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>> I and a couple of other novices have been having the identical
>> problem but have only succeeded in talking to each other which has
>> not helped. Could wireless expert please help us? We are getting
>> nowhere. I'll describe my situation (which as far as I can tell is
>> identical to that of the 2 others):
>>
>> I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
>> connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently
>> I've had an annoying problem on one of the three PCs:
>>
>> The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other
>> computers with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2
>> laptop, I intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet.
>> The wireless network has no problems from this laptop, but
>> sometimes, after I have successfully connected to the internet (via
>> the network), it no longer can find servers on the internet even
>> though the "Wireless Network Connection" icon shows it to be
>> connected. I can sometimes re-establish internet access by "viewing
>> available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network (even
>> though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
>> leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.
>>
>> Ipconfig on the problem PC gives me:
>> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
>> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\"user">ipconfig /all
>>
>> Windows IP Configuration
>>
>> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [it is the correct one]
>> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
>> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>
>> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>>
>> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook
>> Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-4B-0A-52
>> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.186
>> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
>> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
>> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
>> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
>> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2006
>> 1:27:13 PM
>> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 08, 2006
>> 1:27:13 PM
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is very annoying to
>> repeatedly lose my internet connection and I do not know where else
>> to look.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff

Jeff

For those other who have said they had a similar problem, I have now
resolved it. I called Linksys tech support and it was diagnosed as a
probable driver conflict. Here are the steps he took (not sure of the
order: 4 and 5 may be reversed):

1. downloaded the latest drivers (they were the same as those I had).
2. uninstalled the adapter
3. removed the adapter
4. installed the new drivers
5. went to Administrative tools / Services and stopped the wireless zero
configuration service and restarted it.
6. View available networks disconnected and reconnected and I stayed
connected!!

Hope this is hedlpful to others.

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>>>
>>> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>>> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook
>>> Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
>>> 00-0F-66-4B-0A-52 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>>> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>>> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.186
>>> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
>>> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
>>> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
>>> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
>>> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 01, 2006
>>> 1:27:13 PM
>>> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 08, 2006
>>> 1:27:13 PM
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is very annoying to
>>> repeatedly lose my internet connection and I do not know where else

Bill Rankin

Jeff,

I had the same problem as you and based on your fix, I checked LinkSys and
there was a firmware upgrade for my router. That appeared to fix the
problem with the one computer that was having problems. The computers that
were working OK had LinkSys adapters and the one with problems had an Intel
adapter. I also found new drivers for the Intel adapter and installed
these.

Bill-R

news:(E-Mail Removed)...