Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Long time to acquire IP address

Long time to acquire IP address

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lLg==?=

I have a VAIO laptop running XP pro with a netgear USB wireless adapter.
When the machine is restarted from hibernation, it takes a long time to
acquire a network address. It finally times-out and I get the "limited
connectivity" error msg. Then it immediately gets an IP address.

I guess there are two routes to go with this problem:

1. Figure out why it's not quickly getting an IP address, or

2. Figure out a way to shorten the time-out so that it will get the IP
address more quickly.

Any ideas appreciated.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 1-Jan-2006, "=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lLg==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1. Figure out why it's not quickly getting an IP address, or
>
> 2. Figure out a way to shorten the time-out so that it will get the IP
> address more quickly.

Not really my area of expertise but it may be searching a local
network domain range, and if the subnet mask is
255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 this can take a while.
Get Ethereal packet monitor and set it to monitor pkts
on the wireless adapter to see what is going on.
Also look at network log in XP admin tools, there might
be error messages, failed something or other.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"Joe." wrote:
> I have a VAIO laptop running XP pro with a netgear USB wireless adapter.
> When the machine is restarted from hibernation, it takes a long time to
> acquire a network address. It finally times-out and I get the "limited
> connectivity" error msg. Then it immediately gets an IP address.

When it finally gets an ip address, is it a normal one or auto configuration
(169.254.x.x)?

--PA

> I guess there are two routes to go with this problem:
>
> 1. Figure out why it's not quickly getting an IP address, or
>
> 2. Figure out a way to shorten the time-out so that it will get the IP
> address more quickly.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lLg==?=

It's 255.255.255.0

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> On 1-Jan-2006, "=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lLg==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > 1. Figure out why it's not quickly getting an IP address, or
> >
> > 2. Figure out a way to shorten the time-out so that it will get the IP
> > address more quickly.

> Not really my area of expertise but it may be searching a local
> network domain range, and if the subnet mask is
> 255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 this can take a while.
> Get Ethereal packet monitor and set it to monitor pkts
> on the wireless adapter to see what is going on.
> Also look at network log in XP admin tools, there might
> be error messages, failed something or other.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lLg==?=

Normal.