Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD power consumption on Laptop: better to save to hard drive first?

DVD power consumption on Laptop: better to save to hard drive first?

Tripp Knightly

If I want to use as little battery power as possible to watch a movie
on a laptop, would it be more efficient to first archive the DVD to
the laptop and then watch the DVD iso file?

I'm thinking about the scenario where I extract *BEFORE* unplugging
the laptop, not using the laptop (on battery) to first extract the
movie before watching it (which I would think would have to be more
wasteful than watching from DVD direct).

So making a short story long, which uses less power, watching movie
from hard drive or DVD?

Thx

Will Dormann

Tripp Knightly wrote:

> So making a short story long, which uses less power, watching movie
> from hard drive or DVD?

The hard drive, of course. But whether or not it's worth the time and
effort to do it, that's another story...

-WD

Toshi1873

In article <120d8f1c.0404031513.2e52c642
@posting.google.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> If I want to use as little battery power as possible to watch a movie
> on a laptop, would it be more efficient to first archive the DVD to
> the laptop and then watch the DVD iso file?
>
> I'm thinking about the scenario where I extract *BEFORE* unplugging
> the laptop, not using the laptop (on battery) to first extract the
> movie before watching it (which I would think would have to be more
> wasteful than watching from DVD direct).
>
> So making a short story long, which uses less power, watching movie
> from hard drive or DVD?
>
> Thx

You'll either have to test or find the power ratings for
the hard drive (which won't be allowed to spin down) vs
the DVD drive.

I'm curious as well... if you ever do test it.

how to proceed to know the value of power consumption for our design in vhdl chaitanyakurmala@gmail.com VHDL 0 09-13-2006 10:50 AM
Power consumption estimation AG VHDL 0 03-09-2006 01:10 PM
Low power consumption board with memory Duccio VHDL 0 02-25-2006 10:12 PM
6509 power consumption supermikester@gmail.com Cisco 1 01-25-2006 02:22 AM
Power Consumption Jenny ASP .Net 1 07-17-2003 12:24 PM

Advertisments