Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles

Dan_Musicant

On 06 Apr 2004 15:32:51 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Metlhd313 wrote:

:I thought Mel didnt like commentary. It was his justification for no commentary
n "the producers" (though "spaceballs" did have commentary).

I think The Producers was at least semi-autobiographical. He probably
deferred because it would have been embarrasing. My guess.

Michael Black

Dan_Musicant ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
> On 06 Apr 2004 15:32:51 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Metlhd313 wrote:
>
> :I thought Mel didnt like commentary. It was his justification for no commentary
> n "the producers" (though "spaceballs" did have commentary).
>
> I think The Producers was at least semi-autobiographical. He probably
> deferred because it would have been embarrasing. My guess.

I can remember when it was difficult to have a chance at viewing it.
It sure didn't play much here at the rep houses. But more important,
I'm sure I read something years ago that explained why The Producers
didn't see much circulation. Sadly, I can't remember what it was
about.

But if I'm remembering properly, then that might be a reason why
there's no commentary.

Michael

Joshua Zyber

"Michael Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4umik$6cn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can remember when it was difficult to have a chance at viewing it.
> It sure didn't play much here at the rep houses. But more important,
> I'm sure I read something years ago that explained why The Producers
> didn't see much circulation. Sadly, I can't remember what it was
> about.
>
> But if I'm remembering properly, then that might be a reason why
> there's no commentary.

The fact that Brooks is preparing a new movie adaptation of the stage
musical may have something to do with his reluctance to promote the old
movie.

Michael Black

"Joshua Zyber" ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
> "Michael Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c4umik$6cn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I can remember when it was difficult to have a chance at viewing it.
>> It sure didn't play much here at the rep houses. But more important,
>> I'm sure I read something years ago that explained why The Producers
>> didn't see much circulation. Sadly, I can't remember what it was
>> about.
>>
>> But if I'm remembering properly, then that might be a reason why
>> there's no commentary.

> The fact that Brooks is preparing a new movie adaptation of the stage
> musical may have something to do with his reluctance to promote the old
> movie.

Well this was like thirty years ago.

Now, maybe his intent was to make a play out of it, and thus was somehow
able to limit distribution in the old days, but if so, then it sure took
a long time to turn it into a play.

Michael

Wade365

<< Now, maybe his intent was to make a play out of it, and thus was somehow
able to limit distribution in the old days, but if so, then it sure took
a long time to turn it into a play. >><BR><BR>

Broadway is now the whoring of our youth... it's like the re-make strip mining
going on in Hollywood - Broadway has run out of talent and ideas and now
they're recycling... or regurgitating, more like it.

"Tommy"... Townshend needs to be shot for that one.

Mel Brooks is no different, trying to fill the coffers one last time on the
nostalgia held for things he did when he was actually still vital as a creator.

I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can never
ever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you scrape.

Humbug.

Metlhd3138

>I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
>neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
>scrape.Humbug.

Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that spaceballs was
mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

Michael Black

Metlhd3138 ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
>>I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
>>neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
>>scrape.Humbug.
>>

> Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that spaceballs was
> mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

I just watched Spaceballs having bought it on the weekend for six dollars
Canadian.

I saw it when it came out, and it's funnier than I remember. Not as good
as his earlier films, but funny, plust he references those earlier films.

One thing I was pleased by was the menu. It seemed like they'd put some
effort into it, making it like the movie and you were actually seeing
something. (Press an option, and it scans over to a section for it,
and you see little memos etc as it scans.)

This isn't a big thing, but in my very limited acquaintance with
DVDs (only since September, and only a handful of DVDs viewed),
I only see fairly generic menu material, and they have the same
look and sound to them. They don't look line any movie, and aren't
particularly appealing.

Michael

Stephen Cooke

On 7 Apr 2004, Metlhd3138 wrote:

> >I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
> >neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
> >scrape.Humbug.

> Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that spaceballs was
> mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

Still, I'd rather have a DVD of the complete WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN.

swac

Mark W

"Stephen Cooke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 7 Apr 2004, Metlhd3138 wrote:
>
> > >I still remember "Men In Tights", Mel. It's the sort of thing you can
> > >neverever get out of your mind or off your shoe, no matter how hard you
> > >scrape.Humbug.

> > Hey, i actually LIKED men in tights (though i will contend that

spaceballs was
> > mel's last CONSISTENTLY good film).

> Still, I'd rather have a DVD of the complete WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN.
>
> swac

IMHO none of Mel Brooks' films are *consistently* funny, not all the way
through. His films tend to have one joke stretched beyond breaking point.

Bill

> IMHO none of Mel Brooks' films are *consistently* funny, not all the way
> through. His films tend to have one joke stretched beyond breaking point.

Did you every see his first film, "The Producers?" It's wonderfully funny,
from start to finish.