Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 2 Routers (4 port plus 4port w/wireless) home network

2 Routers (4 port plus 4port w/wireless) home network

Volker

I want to set up a home network using:
- cable modem that connects to 4 port Linksys router that connects to a
4 port DLlink wireless/4port router
- 3 computers plus the DLink are hooked up to the Linksys
- 2 computers plus a wireless are hooked up to the DLink

Not sure if I created a mess, but only the computers hooked up directly
to a router see each other, but NOT the computers that are on the other
router.

Can I make the routers "see" all computers?

Or: how else can I hook up 5 computers + 1 Wireless with this hardware?

On 1 Jan 2006 07:37:47 -0800, "Volker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to set up a home network using:
>- cable modem that connects to 4 port Linksys router that connects to a
>4 port DLlink wireless/4port router
>- 3 computers plus the DLink are hooked up to the Linksys
>- 2 computers plus a wireless are hooked up to the DLink
>
>Not sure if I created a mess, but only the computers hooked up directly
>to a router see each other, but NOT the computers that are on the other
>router.
>
>Can I make the routers "see" all computers?
>
>Or: how else can I hook up 5 computers + 1 Wireless with this hardware?

This is very similar to a problem I just solved yesterday, with help
from one of the regular posters here (didn't keep his name in notes,
but here is my problem and his solution... which WORKED)

Qwest/Actiontec DSL Modem GT701-WG
- provided by telco, connectes to wall
Cisco/Linksys Firewall Router BEFSX41
- bought for ports, connects to actiontec

sort'a what I said...
Problem (I think) is that the 2 desktops wired to the Linksys
are able to see each other, and the 1 laptop wireless to the
DSL modem is able to connect to the Internet... but will not
see the desktops and they can't see the laptop... so what I
THINK is happening is that each "box" is setting up a new
"network" and the dsl modem, even though it's one wired out
port is feeding the linksys router, there is no "pass thru"
identification between the two boxes

the answer and solution...
>Your analysis is more or less correct. The GT701-WG is not
>just a modem - >it is also a router, and your present
>configuration gives you two networks.
>Try this:

>1. Connect to your Linksys configuration page - probably
>http://192.168.1.1, and disable DHCP on the router.
>(Disabled the firewall on the linksys, kept on Actiontec)

>2. Disconnect the cable from the Linksys WAN/Internet port.
>Instead plug this into one of the Linksys LAN ports - if one
>of these is designated as an uplink port use that one.
>Reboot both desktops. (and the laptop)

>I have no experience with the Zoom X6. Some after market modems may not be
>compatible with all service providers, but this is less likely to be an
>issue than it has been in the past.

>All you should need to make your present network function is a switch, and
>this is less expensive than a modem/wireless router device. However, you've
>already got one - My suggested changes will essentially use your Linksys
>router as a simple switch. Make sure you turn off its DHCP function.

>Note - if the above works, your desktop will be getting an IP address from
>the GT701 (probably 192.168.0.x). This means that you will no longer be
>able to access the Linksys page at http://192.168.1.1 in the event that you
>want to change its configuration again. Don't panic - you can temporarily
>change your desktop IP to 192.168.1.2 and regain access to the router's
>configuration page; or you could change the router's IP to something in the
>192.168.0.x range; or resetting the router would restore the default DHCP

Volker

I guess the pros will tell me: hook up the wireless/4port router to the
cable modem, then plug in a regular hub (not a router).
I am guessing that routers effectively "block" what is behind (almost
their purpose). But since I have these 2 routers, I thought I can use
one as a hub. Can a router be "made" to act as a hub, maybe switching
firewall or other stuff off?

GTS

You need to configure the DLink wireless router to operate as an Access
Point.
See http://ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Please also see Multiposting vs Crossposting
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html
--

"Volker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I want to set up a home network using:
> - cable modem that connects to 4 port Linksys router that connects to a
> 4 port DLlink wireless/4port router
> - 3 computers plus the DLink are hooked up to the Linksys
> - 2 computers plus a wireless are hooked up to the DLink
>
> Not sure if I created a mess, but only the computers hooked up directly
> to a router see each other, but NOT the computers that are on the other
> router.
>
> Can I make the routers "see" all computers?
>
> Or: how else can I hook up 5 computers + 1 Wireless with this hardware?

Big Spender

I had a simular setup.
I had a linksys router attached to a cable modem
I bought a linksys wireless router to add to my network to replace an access
point that went bad.
I connected the wireless router to a computer and booted it up. I changed
the address of the wireless router to 192.168.1.2 and disabled dhcp. You
only want one router handing out ip addresses separate addresses for each
router. I then cabled the wireless router to my non-wireless router. I ran a
cable from the wireless WAN port to any of the ports on the non-wireless
router. You don't need a crossover cable the WAN port has the crossover
built in. Now the wireless router is just acting as a switch and access
point. I ran for over a year that way without any problems. I only changed
because I went to DSL and they supplied the router with wireless.
Cal