Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Nwebie asks: Best buy DVD recorder and which media?

Nwebie asks: Best buy DVD recorder and which media?

Widow Twankey

DVD newbie here.

For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.

Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
which model?

What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
2 GB a week?

I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.

Thanks for any info.

Damon

Widow Twankey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:94C1695E296158FCE1@
130.133.1.4:

> DVD newbie here.
>
> For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.
>
> Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
> which model?
>
> What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
> to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
> 2 GB a week?
>
> I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.
>
> Thanks for any info.

You can get the Pioneer 107 at SVPcommunications for about 70

As for DVD capacity it is 4.7 gig standard,
Not sure about adding data to written discs though as multi-session DVD
isn't something I have had to do. You can get DVD-RW so you could over
write with the same plus added data.

Damon

MattSmith

"Widow Twankey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> DVD newbie here.
>
> For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.
>
> Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
> which model?
>
> What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
> to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
> 2 GB a week?
>
> I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.
>
> Thanks for any info.

for Burners, Pioneer 107, writes at 8X (when you can get the media)

Media, So many brands about but have a look at www.blankdiscshop.co.uk
they sell decent media, they don't sell crap. I personally use Datasafe,
TDK, Maxell and Philips.

A standard dvd stores 4.7GB, so you will need quite a few discs, as
for adding data, best use RW media. I personally don't trust multisession
discs.

Matt

Todd Copeland

My response is a little OT but personally I don't think DVDs (or CDs) are
the right media for backup. DVDs are too "static". Have you thought about
buying another HD ($100) and backing up your data to this drive? I have a
2nd drive with the OS installed and use it as a back up. If my primary
fails, I just swap them out and boot up with the backup drive to restore the
primary data.

"Widow Twankey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> DVD newbie here.
>
> For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.
>
> Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
> which model?
>
> What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
> to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
> 2 GB a week?
>
> I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.
>
> Thanks for any info.

One-Shot Scot

"Todd Copeland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0rzbc.12870$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
<<Have you thought about buying another HD ($100) and backing up your
data to this drive? I have a 2nd drive with the OS installed and use it
as a back up. If my primary fails, I just swap them out and boot up with
the backup drive to restore the primary data.>>

That's a great idea.

Personally, I would create a partition just big enough to contain the
operating system and swap file. Then I would use the other partition for
data storage.

cd

On 3 Apr 2004 09:16:37 GMT, Widow Twankey <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>DVD newbie here.
>
>For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with it.
>
>Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If so
>which model?

The liteon dvd burners are one drive to stay clear of.
Liteon also make sony drives which are another drive to stay clear of.
Liteon do make good cd burners now but early on they too had a
disaterious time of it with there cd burners.

Buy a pioneer for video burning. If for data bd video then get the lg
4082 models.

>What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost and time
>to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and then to add about
>2 GB a week?

Then the lg 4082 is the best drive to get.
Not thought about buying a usb2 or firewire hard drive. The store I
buy from showed me his usb2 setup where he has two usb2 hard drives
and I was so impressed that I bought a usb2 hard drive for myself.
I have also bought a lg 4082 on this guys advise and equally happy
with it.

>I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be safe.
>
>Thanks for any info.

The lg 4082 usng dvd-ram is the way to travel. Over write with ease
and no frustrations as with dvd-rw and dvd+rw media.

I was shown by a store I buy from why not to use dvd-rw media and also
shown why dvd-ram is so cool.

Looking at the news groups you have posted to I think your based in
the uk where I am based in Australia so pointless in me posting the
store where I buy from.

I am thrilled too bits that I have a lg 4082 and a usb2 hard drive.
I was advised to get a ext usb2 case and then place a hard drive in
the case which saves me about $300 over buying a usb2 hard drive that
is already installed. Cost me all up about $200 oz dollars which is
about $100 pounds or lower.

Hope this helps.

Widow Twankey

"Widow Twankey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> For burning CDs I use a Lite-on 40125S and am very happy with
>> it.
>>
>> Is Lite-on also the best brand for a budget DVD burner? If
>> so which model?
>>
>> What capacity blank DVDs would be the best balance of cost
>> and time to store 150 GB of data as a one-off exercise and
>> then to add about 2 GB a week?
>>
>> I probably need to burn two copies of the backups just to be
>> safe.

"Todd Copeland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My response is a little OT but personally I don't think DVDs
> (or CDs) are the right media for backup. DVDs are too
> "static". Have you thought about buying another HD ($100) and
> backing up your data to this drive? I have a 2nd drive with
> the OS installed and use it as a back up. If my primary fails,
> I just swap them out and boot up with the backup drive to
> restore the primary data.

In fact, I too currently use hard drives for backup. But the
volume of data is getting to be too great. The cost is against the
hard drive (see below) and I already have 5 hard drives on my PC!

I can get a 160 GB hard drive for about 85 here in the UK (approx
$135). By comparison a cheap DVD-burner is about 70 ($110) and
blank DVDs are about 50p (almost $1).

To store 100 GB I would need approximately 25 DVDs. Plus a DVD
burner. All of that would cost very approximately what a 160 GB
hard drive costs. Then additional storage would cost only the
price of a DVD blank.

Nookie

Wait for the dual-layered recorders to come out in two months or so.
Then buy a bunch of blanks, visit a video rental, and let the fun begin.
DD

Pepper

1: Learn basic English.
2: Learn that "LG" is synonymous with "junk".

Damon

Nookie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns94C2D0FB4F9C8engI@
193.110.122.80:

> Wait for the dual-layered recorders to come out in two months or so.
> Then buy a bunch of blanks, visit a video rental, and let the fun begin.
>DD

You missing out on "the fun" now then?