Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > When are video stores going to learn?

When are video stores going to learn?

Robert Calvert

If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row after
row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks impressive at first
until you do the math and come to realize that all the DVDs in a typical
video store could fit into a box the size of a footlocker. This makes me
wonder why video stores are still doing things the old fashioned way in the
DVD age. Instead of setting the movies out where people can see them, it
would be much more space efficient to store the movies like books in a
library from floor to ceiling. The customers could browse through the movies
and make their selection with computer terminals. Or they could even do this
with their computers at home. At the video store, an employee would retrieve
the customer's selection and take the payment. In theory, this entire
process could be automated and customers could make their selections and
retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine. Not only would the customers
have a much wider selection available to them, but the cost of storing all
these movies would be much lower.

Robert

Aaron J. Bossig

"Robert Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row
> after row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks
> impressive at first until you do the math and come to realize that all
> the DVDs in a typical video store could fit into a box the size of a
> footlocker. This makes me wonder why video stores are still doing
> things the old fashioned way in the DVD age. Instead of setting the
> movies out where people can see them, it would be much more space
> efficient to store the movies like books in a library from floor to
> ceiling.

>Not
> only would the customers have a much wider selection available to
> them, but the cost of storing all these movies would be much lower.

You're not factoring in the "browsing" factor. People like to look
through a bunch of movies quickly, and they skim over the ones they
aren't interested in. Cover art is a very flashy way to say to a
customer "Hey! I'm a new movie with your favorite actor!" or "Stay away
from me! I look boring!" Spines, on the other hand, contain little
more than the title, and thus make it easier to overlook a particular
title, and harder for the customer to go through the entire selection.

Having a "movie ATM" would present similar problems. Although you could
get all the same information, browsing for a movie on the web would be
a tedious experience, and not as much "fun" as being able to pick up a
DVD case and look at it. Never, ever underestimate the power of a
customer being able to hold the product!

Personally, I like your idea, but it's way too important for potential
renters to stick with the current model. It's not that way because it's
efficient, it's that way because of people's shopping habits.

There is one place that does things your way: Netflix.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

Nick

Out in Israel they do have automated rental video/dvd machines outside the
stores just like an atm machine. You put your rental card into the machine
make your selection and it charges it to your credit card and gives the film
to you.. If you don't return the movie in the set time you get a letter
warning you and if you still don't return it your credit card get charged
the full price of the movie. The good thing about it is you can rent a movie
24 hours a day.

"Aaron J. Bossig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Robert Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row
> > after row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks
> > impressive at first until you do the math and come to realize that all
> > the DVDs in a typical video store could fit into a box the size of a
> > footlocker. This makes me wonder why video stores are still doing
> > things the old fashioned way in the DVD age. Instead of setting the
> > movies out where people can see them, it would be much more space
> > efficient to store the movies like books in a library from floor to
> > ceiling.

> >Not
> > only would the customers have a much wider selection available to
> > them, but the cost of storing all these movies would be much lower.

> You're not factoring in the "browsing" factor. People like to look
> through a bunch of movies quickly, and they skim over the ones they
> aren't interested in. Cover art is a very flashy way to say to a
> customer "Hey! I'm a new movie with your favorite actor!" or "Stay away
> from me! I look boring!" Spines, on the other hand, contain little
> more than the title, and thus make it easier to overlook a particular
> title, and harder for the customer to go through the entire selection.
>
> Having a "movie ATM" would present similar problems. Although you could
> get all the same information, browsing for a movie on the web would be
> a tedious experience, and not as much "fun" as being able to pick up a
> DVD case and look at it. Never, ever underestimate the power of a
> customer being able to hold the product!
>
> Personally, I like your idea, but it's way too important for potential
> renters to stick with the current model. It's not that way because it's
> efficient, it's that way because of people's shopping habits.
>
> There is one place that does things your way: Netflix.
>

> --
>
> Aaron J. Bossig
>
> http://www.GodsLabRat.com
> http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

Winslow

Good points but coming from the industry I think you may lack the knowledge
and fundamentals of retailing.
"Robert Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

the
> DVD age. Instead of setting the movies out where people can see them, it
> would be much more space efficient to store the movies like books in a
> library from floor to ceiling. The customers could browse through the

movies
> and make their selection with computer terminals. Or they could even do

this
> with their computers at home. At the video store, an employee would

retrieve
> the customer's selection and take the payment. In theory, this entire
> process could be automated and customers could make their selections and
> retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine. Not only would the

customers
> have a much wider selection available to them, but the cost of storing all

Melodiem

> Out in Israel they do have automated rental video/dvd machines outside the
> stores just like an atm machine. You put your rental card into the machine
> make your selection and it charges it to your credit card and gives the

film
> to you.. If you don't return the movie in the set time you get a letter
> warning you and if you still don't return it your credit card get charged
> the full price of the movie. The good thing about it is you can rent a

movie
> 24 hours a day.

cool !

JWB

"Robert Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you go into a video store these days, you'll most likely find row after
> row of DVDs lined up on the shelves. It certainly looks impressive at

first
> until you do the math and come to realize that all the DVDs in a typical
> video store could fit into a box the size of a footlocker. This makes me
> wonder why video stores are still doing things the old fashioned way in

the
> DVD age. Instead of setting the movies out where people can see them, it
> would be much more space efficient to store the movies like books in a
> library from floor to ceiling. The customers could browse through the

movies
> and make their selection with computer terminals. Or they could even do

this
> with their computers at home. At the video store, an employee would

retrieve
> the customer's selection and take the payment. In theory, this entire
> process could be automated and customers could make their selections and
> retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine. Not only would the

customers
> have a much wider selection available to them, but the cost of storing all
> these movies would be much lower.

browsing box covers is how most people pick a movie to rent.

Paul C.

"Robert Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> things the old fashioned way in the DVD age. Instead of setting

the
> movies out where people can see them, it would be much more space
> efficient to store the movies like books in a library from floor

> ceiling.

They have a combination of this system at the local Blockbuster
stores. New release titles are around the edges with the front
facing out, older titles are placed on shelves like books. The main
problem here is that the movies tend to get out of order which can
be irritating. But it does allow them to store a lot more movies
like you said. They also got rid of their classifications like
Drama, Sci-fi, Family, etc with mixed results.

Shinner

"Robert Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Instead of setting the
> movies out where people can see them, it would be much more space
> efficient to store the movies like books in a library from floor to
> ceiling.

Would there be free migraine relief medicine included?

> The customers could browse through the movies and make their
> selection with computer terminals.

That would certainly be efficient...I for one wouldn't mind standing in
line to use a terminal verus...not.

> In theory,
> this entire process could be automated and customers could make their
> selections and retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine.

That would be awesome...eliminate more jobs!

Cernovog

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:22:15 -0400, Shinner wrote
(in message <Xns94C09BEE77A70myemailsomeservercom@216.40.28.71 >):

>> this entire process could be automated and customers could make their
>> selections and retrieve their movies from an ATM like machine.

> That would be awesome...eliminate more jobs!

Oh, now THERE'S a job people are fighting for -- the Media Play "Can I help
you find anything?" guy. I'm sure people will be crying their eyes out when
that position gets eliminated.

Stick him in the corner with the milk man, the blacksmith, and that guy who
delivers the gigantic blocks of ice for your "ice box" (DARN those modern
refrigerators!!!)