Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can't Save MyYahoo Password

Can't Save MyYahoo Password

~ narnia ~

I'm using Firefox 1.5.

When I log on to MyYahoo, I check the box that says I want my password
saved. However each time I go open MyYahoo, I have to re-enter the
password.

In Tools/Options/Saved Passwords, the MyYahoo password isn't listed
although several others are. I have the box Allow Sites to Set Cookies
checked, + Until They Expire with no exceptions listed.

Any ideas why I can't save this one password? TIA!

Ed Mullen

~ narnia ~ wrote:
> I'm using Firefox 1.5.
>
> When I log on to MyYahoo, I check the box that says I want my password
> saved. However each time I go open MyYahoo, I have to re-enter the
> password.
>
> In Tools/Options/Saved Passwords, the MyYahoo password isn't listed
> although several others are. I have the box Allow Sites to Set Cookies
> checked, + Until They Expire with no exceptions listed.
>
> Any ideas why I can't save this one password? TIA!

The option on the Yahoo site remembers your password using a cookie; you
won't necessarily also have a saved password in the Firefox password
manager. And, in fact, if the cookie successfully saved the password
manager listing isn't needed.

You might try deleting any cookies that exist for Yahoo and then go to
MyYahoo again to set a new cookie.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

~ narnia ~

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:13:14 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>~ narnia ~ wrote:
>> I'm using Firefox 1.5.
>>
>> When I log on to MyYahoo, I check the box that says I want my password
>> saved. However each time I go open MyYahoo, I have to re-enter the
>> password.
>>
>> In Tools/Options/Saved Passwords, the MyYahoo password isn't listed
>> although several others are. I have the box Allow Sites to Set Cookies
>> checked, + Until They Expire with no exceptions listed.
>>
>> Any ideas why I can't save this one password? TIA!

>The option on the Yahoo site remembers your password using a cookie; you
>won't necessarily also have a saved password in the Firefox password
>manager. And, in fact, if the cookie successfully saved the password
>manager listing isn't needed.
>
>You might try deleting any cookies that exist for Yahoo and then go to
>MyYahoo again to set a new cookie.

Thanks, but I did try that and it didn't work. This is very strange, I
started having this problem when I installed v1.5, and it only happens
with MyYahoo.

Leonidas Jones

~ narnia ~ wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:13:14 -0500, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ~ narnia ~ wrote:
>>> I'm using Firefox 1.5.
>>>
>>> When I log on to MyYahoo, I check the box that says I want my password
>>> saved. However each time I go open MyYahoo, I have to re-enter the
>>> password.
>>>
>>> In Tools/Options/Saved Passwords, the MyYahoo password isn't listed
>>> although several others are. I have the box Allow Sites to Set Cookies
>>> checked, + Until They Expire with no exceptions listed.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why I can't save this one password? TIA!

>> The option on the Yahoo site remembers your password using a cookie; you
>> won't necessarily also have a saved password in the Firefox password
>> manager. And, in fact, if the cookie successfully saved the password
>> manager listing isn't needed.
>>
>> You might try deleting any cookies that exist for Yahoo and then go to
>> MyYahoo again to set a new cookie.

> Thanks, but I did try that and it didn't work. This is very strange, I
> started having this problem when I installed v1.5, and it only happens
> with MyYahoo.

Yahoo defeats the saving of passwords, for security reasons. What is so
important is beyond me, bit ask that of Yahoo. There are bookmarklets
that will get by this for you.

http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/

Lee

HackerOfMinds

If you use the 'Web Developer' toolbar extension in Firefox, there is a
menu in the toolbar called 'Forms', in which there is a link to make
the passwords of yahoo saveable in password manager.

Logout of yahoo, go to mail.yahoo.com, click this link, then sign-in as
usual - this time, you'll get the prompt from password manager to save
the login or not.

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> ~ narnia ~ wrote:

>>>The option on the Yahoo site remembers your password using a cookie; you
>>>won't necessarily also have a saved password in the Firefox password
>>>manager. And, in fact, if the cookie successfully saved the password
>>>manager listing isn't needed.
>>>
>>>You might try deleting any cookies that exist for Yahoo and then go to
>>>MyYahoo again to set a new cookie.

>>Thanks, but I did try that and it didn't work. This is very strange, I
>>started having this problem when I installed v1.5, and it only happens
>>with MyYahoo.
>>

> Yahoo defeats the saving of passwords, for security reasons. What is so
> important is beyond me, bit ask that of Yahoo. There are bookmarklets
> that will get by this for you.
>
> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
>
> Lee

You're partially right Lee. There are two logon methods for Yahoo.
There is the Secured Method and the Standard Method. The Secured
Method will not let you save while the other will. Or, maybe its the
other way around. Oh well, I can't quite remember. But, you can get
around the password problem with the Remember Password bookmarklet.

To the OP: You'll find the bookmarklet here:
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkle...ember_password

You drag the bookmarklet to your Personal Toolbar. That's where your
other bookmarks are kept. Go to the Yahoo logon page, click the
bookmarklet, click OK on the Popup message, enter your user name and
password and log on. Now you should get the FF remember password popup.

~ narnia ~

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 00:51:54 -0800, gwtc
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> ~ narnia ~ wrote:

>>>Thanks, but I did try that and it didn't work. This is very strange, I
>>>started having this problem when I installed v1.5, and it only happens
>>>with MyYahoo.
>>>

>> Yahoo defeats the saving of passwords, for security reasons. What is so
>> important is beyond me, bit ask that of Yahoo. There are bookmarklets
>> that will get by this for you.
>>
>> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
>>
>> Lee

>You're partially right Lee. There are two logon methods for Yahoo.
>There is the Secured Method and the Standard Method. The Secured
>Method will not let you save while the other will. Or, maybe its the
>other way around. Oh well, I can't quite remember. But, you can get
>around the password problem with the Remember Password bookmarklet.
>
>To the OP: You'll find the bookmarklet here:
>http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkle...ember_password
>
>You drag the bookmarklet to your Personal Toolbar. That's where your
>other bookmarks are kept. Go to the Yahoo logon page, click the
>bookmarklet, click OK on the Popup message, enter your user name and
>password and log on. Now you should get the FF remember password popup.

Thanks everyone - the bookmarklet did it.

Leonidas Jones

HackerOfMinds wrote:
> If you use the 'Web Developer' toolbar extension in Firefox, there is a
> menu in the toolbar called 'Forms', in which there is a link to make
> the passwords of yahoo saveable in password manager.
>
> Logout of yahoo, go to mail.yahoo.com, click this link, then sign-in as
> usual - this time, you'll get the prompt from password manager to save
> the login or not.

There is? What is this option?

Lee

HackerOfMinds

In Web Developer Toolbar, go to Forms -> Enable Auto Completion. The
current page's (say, mail.yahoo.com) 'username' and 'password' fields
will be enabled for autocompletion. This doesn't work with hotmail,
though.