Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > TV to DVD

TV to DVD

KSB

Just got a video capture board which allows me to capture TV off my cable.
Can someone lead me to a primer on how to transfer the shows to a DVD (I
have a DVD burner). My object is to do better then VCR quality.

Will Dormann

KSB wrote:

> Just got a video capture board which allows me to capture TV off my cable.
> Can someone lead me to a primer on how to transfer the shows to a DVD (I
> have a DVD burner). My object is to do better then VCR quality.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

-WD

Richard Ragon

KSB wrote:

> Just got a video capture board which allows me to capture TV off my cable.
> Can someone lead me to a primer on how to transfer the shows to a DVD (I
> have a DVD burner). My object is to do better then VCR quality.

In a nutshell:

1) Capture - This involves using a low compression capture using a
capture type program, and digitizing the show while it's playing onto
your hard drive. Depending on the CODEC and compression you used, it
can be anywhere upwards for an hour of capture to be 40 gigs.. In
general, the better you capture, the better you can work with in real
time. Unfortunately, this also results in having to work with massive
file sizes, and hugh throughputs of your hard drives.

2) Editing - This involves yet another program to edit your now large
captured file. Remove the commercials, ect.. Once your happy with your
edit, you then output the highly compress video to to Mpeg2 (.mpv,.mp2),
and output your sound (.wav,.ac3). Sound can be further worked on after
this to mix and compress your sound down too.

3) Authoring - This involves yet another program to now collect all your
assets like your video files, and matching audio files, and assemble
them in a structure. Mostly designing some kind of menu with buttons,
and this gets it ready for the proper DVD format for DVD players to
read. You can either have the author program create the structure for
your and burn the disk, or simply write the structure to your hard drive
where you can use Nero to burn the DVD.

p.s. if you skip the VCR part, you'll defiantly get better then VCR
quality..

As to what programs you should buy/use to do all these steps.. I'll
leave that one up too another discussion.

Hope this helps.
-Richard

sam1967@hetnet.nl

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:04:57 GMT, Richard Ragon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>KSB wrote:
>
>> Just got a video capture board which allows me to capture TV off my cable.
>> Can someone lead me to a primer on how to transfer the shows to a DVD (I
>> have a DVD burner). My object is to do better then VCR quality.

>In a nutshell:
>
>1) Capture - This involves using a low compression capture using a
>capture type program, and digitizing the show while it's playing onto
>your hard drive. Depending on the CODEC and compression you used, it
>can be anywhere upwards for an hour of capture to be 40 gigs.. In
>general, the better you capture, the better you can work with in real
>time. Unfortunately, this also results in having to work with massive
>file sizes, and hugh throughputs of your hard drives.

yikes. I am hoping to use one of these cards to capture 2 hours of VHS
and put it onto DVD. my hard disk is only 12 GB .
do i have a chance ?
can I break it up into 5 or 6 separate files and do it that way ?

>2) Editing - This involves yet another program to edit your now large
>captured file. Remove the commercials, ect.. Once your happy with your
>edit, you then output the highly compress video to to Mpeg2 (.mpv,.mp2),
>and output your sound (.wav,.ac3). Sound can be further worked on after
>this to mix and compress your sound down too.

what about .VOB .BUP and .IFO files ?

Jason O'Rourke

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>yikes. I am hoping to use one of these cards to capture 2 hours of VHS
>and put it onto DVD. my hard disk is only 12 GB .
>do i have a chance ?
>can I break it up into 5 or 6 separate files and do it that way ?

Some of the software packages will let you record directly to the
DVD-R. Obviously you give up your ability to edit, and potentially
on quality. You should replace that hard drive - unless you're
dealing with SCSI a 120G drive now sells for under 100USD.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Mike Kohary

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:04:57 GMT, Richard Ragon
> >
> >1) Capture - This involves using a low compression capture using a
> >capture type program, and digitizing the show while it's playing onto
> >your hard drive. Depending on the CODEC and compression you used, it
> >can be anywhere upwards for an hour of capture to be 40 gigs.. In
> >general, the better you capture, the better you can work with in real
> >time. Unfortunately, this also results in having to work with massive
> >file sizes, and hugh throughputs of your hard drives.
> >

> yikes. I am hoping to use one of these cards to capture 2 hours of VHS
> and put it onto DVD. my hard disk is only 12 GB .
> do i have a chance ?
> can I break it up into 5 or 6 separate files and do it that way ?

Not a chance with a 12GB drive. 2 hours of video capture at full DV quality
will require at least 24GB. You'll need a much bigger hard drive, and you
can't split it up to edit and eventually burn. The good news: hard drive
storage is very cheap these days. You can easily buy a huge hard drive
(200GB or better) for a couple of hundred dollars, maybe even less (not sure
on exact prices these days, I last bought 9 months ago, but I know it's
cheap).

Mike

Old Nick

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:28:52 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) vaguely proposed
a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

You have a _chance_...not much more. What do you have left? how
fragmented is it? What quality do you want? Does the rest of your
system match 12GB of drive (minimal)?

Sorry to "attack" but for any Multimedia stuff you need space and
power above all else.

40GB(I have 80 and it's being eaten), 512 RAM, 1Ghz (I have 800 Mhz
and it's OK).

>yikes. I am hoping to use one of these cards to capture 2 hours of VHS
>and put it onto DVD. my hard disk is only 12 GB .
>do i have a chance ?
>can I break it up into 5 or 6 separate files and do it that way ?

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

Nicholas Andrade

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:04:57 GMT, Richard Ragon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>KSB wrote:
>>

>>>Just got a video capture board which allows me to capture TV off my cable.
>>>Can someone lead me to a primer on how to transfer the shows to a DVD (I
>>>have a DVD burner). My object is to do better then VCR quality.

>>In a nutshell:
>>
>>1) Capture - This involves using a low compression capture using a
>>capture type program, and digitizing the show while it's playing onto
>>your hard drive. Depending on the CODEC and compression you used, it
>>can be anywhere upwards for an hour of capture to be 40 gigs.. In
>>general, the better you capture, the better you can work with in real
>>time. Unfortunately, this also results in having to work with massive
>>file sizes, and hugh throughputs of your hard drives.
>>

> yikes. I am hoping to use one of these cards to capture 2 hours of VHS
> and put it onto DVD. my hard disk is only 12 GB .
> do i have a chance ?
> can I break it up into 5 or 6 separate files and do it that way ?

Another issue is the speed of your processor. If you have a desktop
that came with a 12GB, I am guess your processor isn't going to be of
the current generation. What you want to do is fairly processor
intensive, so I hope you have some time on your hands. Also, if you do
go buy a new HDD, get one with 8MB cache if possible (and compatible
with your motherboard).

Adios,
~Nick

Old Nick

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 05:48:40 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

>Not a chance with a 12GB drive.

Agreed.

>2 hours of video capture at full DV quality
>will require at least 24GB.

Not sure about that. MPEG compression to full commercial DVD standard
would require about 9Gb wouldn't it? That's how much it takes for a 2
hour DVD, IIANM. 2 hours fits on a 2-layer DVD at commercial standard.

>You'll need a much bigger hard drive, and you
>can't split it up to edit and eventually burn. The good news: hard drive
>storage is very cheap these days. You can easily buy a huge hard drive
>(200GB or better) for a couple of hundred dollars, maybe even less (not sure
>on exact prices these days, I last bought 9 months ago, but I know it's
>cheap).
>
>Mike

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

Robert Baer

Jason O'Rourke wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >yikes. I am hoping to use one of these cards to capture 2 hours of VHS
> >and put it onto DVD. my hard disk is only 12 GB .
> >do i have a chance ?
> >can I break it up into 5 or 6 separate files and do it that way ?

> Some of the software packages will let you record directly to the
> DVD-R. Obviously you give up your ability to edit, and potentially
> on quality. You should replace that hard drive - unless you're
> dealing with SCSI a 120G drive now sells for under 100USD.
>
> --
> Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Actually, only a few gigabytes are needed; roughly 1Gbytes per hour,
when using WMV format.