Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Q - Is the Best Buy 'Reward' Card good?

Reply
Thread Tools

Q - Is the Best Buy 'Reward' Card good?

 
 
Fire3Sky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2004
I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
you a $5 gift certificate.

Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what the gift certificates look like
when you get them in the mail - is the amount you spent printed on the gift
certificate envelope, and does it have your name on it, or is it just a generic
$5 off thing?

Fire3Sky
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dick Sidbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2004
Fire3Sky wrote:
> I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
> a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
> everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
> you a $5 gift certificate.
>
> Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what the gift certificates look like
> when you get them in the mail - is the amount you spent printed on the gift
> certificate envelope, and does it have your name on it, or is it just a generic
> $5 off thing?
>
> Fire3Sky

you get a 5 dollar discount on anything from bestbuy (as long as you buy
in the near future -- approximately 2 months) for each 125 dollars
spent. It works out to a 4% discount. The coupon is generic but has a
barcode. I've accumulated 80 dollars worth of discounts, because you
can get bonus points at times for special purchases or filling out on
line forms.

dick
-- and I got my membership for free.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
KING B MAN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2004
It's just Best Buy's version to Sam Goody's Instant Replay. I also found out
Best Buy owns Sam Goody. So if it works for Sam, it works for best buy.
Mike
And now a shameless act of self promotion. Check out my website for the best
and the worst of British films.
pre-order your copy of The Monster Club. Street date 03/30/04
http://hometown.aol.com/kingbman/myhomepage/intro.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2004
<<I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks
mentioned a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then
they scan it everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent
around $100 they send you a $5 gift certificate.>>

I think it is a good program if you spend a good amount of money at Best
Buy like I do. You spend about $125 and you will receive a $5 gift
cerificate in the mail. They also have double point offers on special
purchases and such. I enrolled in it when I bought my new television
and surround sound system there, and I also make many dvd purchases
there per week.

I would say that the program would be worth it even if you only shop
there once a week on new release Tuesdays. You would be surprised as to
how fast you'll earn certificates just by that alone.

<<Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what the gift certificates
look like when you get them in the mail - is the amount you spent
printed on the gift certificate envelope, and does it have your name on
it, or is it just a generic $5 off thing?>>

My certifcates come with my Reward Zone member number on it and a bar
code for the cashier to scan.

Eric

 
Reply With Quote
 
TSKO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-01-2004

"Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4g85b$2ifnqn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Fire3Sky wrote:
> > I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks

mentioned
> > a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan

it
> > everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they

send
> > you a $5 gift certificate.
> >
> > Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what the gift certificates look

like
> > when you get them in the mail - is the amount you spent printed on the

gift
> > certificate envelope, and does it have your name on it, or is it just a

generic
> > $5 off thing?
> >
> > Fire3Sky

> you get a 5 dollar discount on anything from bestbuy (as long as you buy
> in the near future -- approximately 2 months) for each 125 dollars
> spent. It works out to a 4% discount. The coupon is generic but has a
> barcode. I've accumulated 80 dollars worth of discounts, because you
> can get bonus points at times for special purchases or filling out on
> line forms.
>
> dick
> -- and I got my membership for free.
>


I got my membership for free also....and have earned about $150 worth of
those suckers. It takes awhile to get them in the mail...but when you do,
its a nice little treat (especially when you are short of cash one wk for
dvd purchases). Anyways, I think its a good deal and when my membership is
up, I will pay for a new one. Well worth it...for me that is.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Cooke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2004

That's the worst title for a sequel to Q - The Winged Serpent imaginable.

swac

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jordan Lund
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Fire3Sky) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
> a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
> everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
> you a $5 gift certificate.


So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
giving you jack?

Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.

- Jordan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2004
On 4/15/2004 2:47:21 PM, Jordan Lund wrote:

> So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
> bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
> giving you jack?


Yes, but that don't offer that option.

> Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
> brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
> to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.


Not true, because you can save money that way while *still* earning
reward points. It's not an either/or proposition.
--
"I may be bad...but I feel gooood."

Now playing: the radio
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Black
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2004
Tarkus ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
> On 4/15/2004 2:47:21 PM, Jordan Lund wrote:
>
>> So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
>> bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
>> giving you jack?

>
> Yes, but that don't offer that option.
>
>> Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
>> brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
>> to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.

>
> Not true, because you can save money that way while *still* earning
> reward points. It's not an either/or proposition.


I suspect the value may depend on the person's spending habits, and interests.

For a number of years, I had a "reward card" for one the big bookstore
chain here in Canada. The first time, they offered it for free if
I bought a book over X amount, and there was a book I wanted. Why
not, I said. I collected enough points to get a five dollar rebate,
and in that card's case, it gave a regular discount of ten percent.
When I had to pay ten dollars for the renewal, I decided I was
making enough off the card. So I renewed a couple of times, and
get some small rebates.

But when they dropped the rebates late last year, I decided it
wasn't worth it. I didn't spend all that much, so I wasn't getting
a large rebate, and I justified the price of the card because I
was getting some of it back. I could buy some things at the chain
that didn't carry the discount (CDs, DVDs, magazines) but did count
towards the rebate. Without the rebate, they counted for nothing
and there was nothing to make me want to buy those things there.

Michael

 
Reply With Quote
 
Galley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2004
On 15 Apr 2004 14:47:21 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Jordan Lund) spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Fire3Sky) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> I've been getting a lot of DVD's at Best Buy, and one of their clerks mentioned
>> a 'reward' card - apparently, you pay $10 bucks for it, then they scan it
>> everytime you make a purchase, and when you have spent around $100 they send
>> you a $5 gift certificate.

>
>So after you spend $110 they give you $5 back? What a freakin'
>bargain! Isn't that the same thing as spending $105 and Best Buy
>giving you jack?
>
>Seriously though, you'll save more money at Best Buy by simply buying
>brand new DVD's the week they come out. In most cases you'll save $4
>to $6 per disc and you don't have to spend anything extra.
>
>- Jordan


The first year's membership was free for me. I have received more than $85 in
certificates so far.

--
Save Pepsi Blue!
Help save our beloved beverage
http://www.savepepsiblue.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't buy Battlestar Galactica S1 at Best Buy!! Stan Jensen DVD Video 13 07-25-2005 04:20 AM
Best Buy is the greatest place to buy electronics Jimmy Digital Photography 0 02-05-2004 02:13 AM
Re: Best Buy The Worst Buy For Consumers robert sims Digital Photography 4 08-20-2003 05:06 PM
Re: Best Buy No Longer A "Best" Buy - At Least Not At Brooklyn NYC Store Mike & Jane Digital Photography 5 08-15-2003 12:57 AM



Advertisments