Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Is this being anal?

Re: Is this being anal?

AceoHearts

Well I do a few of the things you do some of the time, but I always check
for cuts and shake the box. And I tend to shake it like I am trying to get
the prize from the bottom of a cereal box. And if it rattles (like the disc
is off the spindle, not the insert shifting) I take it to customer service
before I check out. One trip to Best Buy, I brought 12 movies up there, and
they thought I was nuts. They even called a manager over so I could explain
it to him. He didn't believe me, so he openned one of them up and sure
enought the disc was off and gouged. Even since then I have only found one
or 2 rattlers, and I notice employees shaking them as they stock shelves.

AceoHearts

Fire3Sky

>Well I do a few of the things you do some of the time, but I always check
>for cuts and shake the box. And I tend to shake it like I am trying to get
>the prize from the bottom of a cereal box. And if it rattles (like the disc
>is off the spindle,

I've shaken some boxed sets that actually sound like they have a ball rattling
in them. I didn't buy the sets, so I'm not sure if it was a loose disc, or some
sort of extra thing rattling around.

Fire3Sky

Wild Coyote

On 01 Apr 2004 04:19:23 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Fire3Sky) wrote:

>>Well I do a few of the things you do some of the time, but I always check
>>for cuts and shake the box. And I tend to shake it like I am trying to get
>>the prize from the bottom of a cereal box. And if it rattles (like the disc
>>is off the spindle,

>I've shaken some boxed sets that actually sound like they have a ball rattling
>in them. I didn't buy the sets, so I'm not sure if it was a loose disc, or some
>sort of extra thing rattling around.
>
>Fire3Sky

Sometimes it is the disc spinning on the spindle. It sounds like a
ball rolling round and round. Especially the 2 disc sets. You can
tell when it is off the spindle, because it kind of goes thunk.

I buy almost everything online and have returned my fair share of
scratched discs. I think I have about 3 that have snuck through, but
they still play. The disc not on the spindle is my biggest pet peeve,
the second being the insert being torn when you rip that damn plastic
off the top and bottom.

--
Still Howlin' at the Moon!

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Frank Malczewski

Wild Coyote <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 01 Apr 2004 04:19:23 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Fire3Sky) wrote:
>
> >>Well I do a few of the things you do some of the time, but I always check
> >>for cuts and shake the box. And I tend to shake it like I am trying to get
> >>the prize from the bottom of a cereal box. And if it rattles (like the disc
> >>is off the spindle,

> >I've shaken some boxed sets that actually sound like they have a ball
> >rattling in them. I didn't buy the sets, so I'm not sure if it was a
> >loose disc, or some sort of extra thing rattling around.
> >
> >Fire3Sky

> Sometimes it is the disc spinning on the spindle. It sounds like a
> ball rolling round and round. Especially the 2 disc sets. You can
> tell when it is off the spindle, because it kind of goes thunk.
>
> I buy almost everything online and have returned my fair share of
> scratched discs. I think I have about 3 that have snuck through, but
> they still play. The disc not on the spindle is my biggest pet peeve,
> the second being the insert being torn when you rip that damn plastic
> off the top and bottom.
>
> --
> Still Howlin' at the Moon!
>
> Wild Coyote
> wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Good to see I'm not the only one that gets p-o-ed when those inserts get
ripped from those f-ing stickers. (Can you say Digital Video Essentials
(from DDD)?) And/or when it looks like it will get ripped if I open it.

My other gripe is just when the damn cardboard box things are all banged
up from being shipped/stocked/whatever prior to my buying it. E.g.,
recent Buffy/Angel/X-Files/South Park/whatever; try and find one at Best
Buy that doesn't look like somebody sat on it... Willing to put up with
Costco's less sever longbox damage just to avoid that problem... (Liked
that plastic better, though).

Eric

<<Good to see I'm not the only one that gets p-o-ed when those inserts
get ripped from those f-ing stickers.>>

No, I hate it too, and I remember when it first happened... with
"Beverly Hills Cop", and the sticker tore a long white stripe at the top
of the insert cover. I was just stunned.

Now I have notced, -- especially with newer Anchor Bay titles -- that
some stickers on the tops and sides will start to rip the plastic when
peeled off. The new issue of the original "Dawn of the Dead" did this
... the top label was so attached to the plastic of the case that it
tore it when I peeled it off. The large side and bottom stickers that
Paramount tends to use are also very troublesome to get off.

Eric

Eric R.

(E-Mail Removed) (Eric) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Now I have notced, -- especially with newer Anchor Bay titles -- that
> some stickers on the tops and sides will start to rip the plastic when
> peeled off. The new issue of the original "Dawn of the Dead" did this
> .. the top label was so attached to the plastic of the case that it
> tore it when I peeled it off.

Same thing just happened to me. What, does Anchor Bay WELD those things on, or what?

-Eric